Steering Gear Issues [Solved]

Spectre32

Reaction score
For what it is worth I was driving to Homedepot today and passed a local ford dealership. I stopped in and they have a 2016 F250 XL 4x4, so I took a look underneath. I have some pictures but the camera on my phone had a bunch of smudges on it, so they are not the best. I have my old 2008(no splines) steering gear and did a little comparison and the 2016 is much "beefer" as stated.

When comparing the two boxes it is clear that the designs(at least externally) are different. It would appear the 2016 steering box casting has been changed, as there is much more material around the lower bolt hole as well as the portion where the pitman arm shaft is. I have a lead on a 2017 box from a truck that was just wrecked on Friday however it will take a few weeks before that box is available. I know the 2017s are different as certain ones have adaptive steering and whatnot, however this was not an option on this truck. I can post the pictures if you guys want but as I have said, they are not all that good.

Last edited:

FordGuy

Reaction score
There was a change in 2008, so unless there is another change, this gearbox would be the same. Precision, did you look at the two boxes side by side? I went to rock auto and can get a A1 Cardone for about 400 and a motocraft one is 1100, both are reman.

The steering box change in 2008 was just a change within the same box. The larger steering box arrived in 2011, with the 6.7.

FordGuy

Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online