Pro Stock Powerstroke Mustang

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Don't most big mechanical pumps lope until they're under full load? I thought that was just the nature of the beast. Pretty much every pulling truck lopes while spooling... but I will say they don't quite lope as much as your 7.3 does

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Don't most big mechanical pumps lope until they're under full load? I thought that was just the nature of the beast. Pretty much every pulling truck lopes while spooling... but I will say they don't quite lope as much as your 7.3 does

Yes to a point. There is a bumper screw on the back of this pump that dampens the governor arm and will make it idle better.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
We can't get the lope out of it and it doesn't free rev right. It's running fine under load but they want to look it over.

It's basically the same as thinking: electronic PID LOOP tuning.

The gain is too fast and the proportional is not dampening.

In the case of a mechanical pump it will be in the flyweights. Probably too light or the flyweight a are simply stuck one or the other.

CATDiezel

Reaction score

That's largely to do because the injector is so big in conjuction to the lack of a BIG timing advance assembly it's next to impossible to control the idle. It's basically fuel on fuel off repeatedly.. the lope. It can be brought under control but not easily. Much easier you control at higher rpm when the weights in the governor have some momentum behind them.

That's going to be the trick to getting this yellow wagon to idle somewhat under control is the perfect balance for weights on the AFr. Too light and they respond like uncontrollably. Too heavy and spool up becomes an issue and he will have a drowning affect once he leaves the line and it shifts one time.

If you will notice a 14liter+ engine does not have the problem of loping and spooling like a "small engine" does. And that's because they have a AFR weight assembly as big as a quart size paint can lid.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
That's largely to do because the injector is so big in conjuction to the lack of a BIG timing advance assembly it's next to impossible to control the idle. It's basically fuel on fuel off repeatedly.. the lope. It can be brought under control but not easily. Much easier you control at higher rpm when the weights in the governor have some momentum behind them.

That's going to be the trick to getting this yellow wagon to idle somewhat under control is the perfect balance for weights on the AFr. Too light and they respond like uncontrollably. Too heavy and spool up becomes an issue and he will have a drowning affect once he leaves the line and it shifts one time.

If you will notice a 14liter+ engine does not have the problem of loping and spooling like a "small engine" does. And that's because they have a AFR weight assembly as big as a quart size paint can lid.

Small correction on my own wording. When dealing with the AFR it works in conjunction with the timing advance unit with is dynamic on large engines... more so than small engines. The TA is the more proportionated weights, where a small engine struggles in this area.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Last time you will see it yellow

9466EF8D-461E-45E4-87A5-9BB9B6B2150A_zpsb3guyqk8.jpg

6C2D54F0-7F10-491D-B673-2A4C15E5D470_zpsr7ds7ept.jpg

4C6318A5-E4DB-4318-B4BC-03F2EBE54B39_zps7gmy6fol.jpg

A8428E00-54CC-4E9E-8FAA-1802B11CC4C6_zpsq09wqnvu.jpg

Latest posts

Members online