Cummins Swap 5R110 Solution

Reaction score
I've been working on an alternative to the PCS for controlling a 5R110 behind a Cummins, specifically the Common Rail 5.9 and 6.7. I had a customer bring me an 08 6.4 that he had swapped in a 2013 6.7 Cummins. He used a Destroked kit; mounts, harness, adapter plate, etc. Needed some wiring and tuning to finish it up. I've spent months fighting an intermittent no start/won't turn off issue that I finally traced to failed underhood fuse block :doh:

Back to the transmission. I could never get that stupid PCS to play nice. Wouldn't even let the truck shift with the base file from Destroked in it. So I removed that and hooked the stock transmission wiring back up. That made the truck shift but would limp mode with too much throttle and had unpredictable shift points as expected. Found a guy that had used the stock ECM/TCM on his 6.0 to run the 5R110 behind a 12 Valve and figured I should be able to do the same. Called Eric @ Innovative for the tune on an X4. This got the truck shifting and driveable at part throttle since there was no Ford TPS to control line pressure and kick down.

That led to this:

<
BzhIuQ.jpg

ab5j6w.jpg

It runs both pedals together. Cummins pedals are only $80 and 100% plastic so was the one we modified. Removed the spring from it so the pedal doesn't have a heavy feel. With Eric's tuning it works awesome. Took about 50 miles to get the adaptive learn done and after that it shifts like a tuned up 6.4.

Here's a video of it shifting at WOT before it fully learned (blew the intercooler boot at the end LOL)

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

To setup another truck with this, it would be about $1000 for pedal, bracket, and X4 with tune. Tow/Haul functions like factory, shifts smooth from Park, Reverse, and Drive.
More details about the truck:
08 Superduty
2013 Cummins with 08 ECM and Destroked Harness, EFILive tuned
Has a BD Super B turbo, 4 turbo back, AFE Intake horn and Airdog, otherwise stock.
Stock 5R110 Trans tuned with X4 and Innovative custom file.

08Monster

Reaction score
May I ask why people swap in a Cummins motor? I've never been able to figure it out. If the Powerstroke is that bad, why buy one?

08Monster

Reaction score
Ohh I see. Why do people want a Cummins when they swap out a perfectly fine motor than? Is it for reliability? Power? Towing?

sootie

Reaction score
the handful of guys i know first hand did it because the cab doesnt need to come off as often to do repairs (due to more underhood room) and the engines are typically more reliable than powerstrokes.

what usually starts the process is they are in love with the qualities and aesthetics of ford trucks and then decide that they dont want to sacrifice that by moving to a gm or ram chassis.

TurboM700

Reaction score
May I ask why people swap in a Cummins motor? I've never been able to figure it out. If the Powerstroke is that bad, why buy one?

Not that I'm a norm but I need a family hauler and didnt have 40k to spend on a surburan so I bought a V10 excursion and a 12v and the rest is history.

To the op I love the way that thing shifts. PCS "base" tunes are a joke. I wonder if someone could put a TCM out of a 6.0l in a truck like a V10 X?

Mike

Reaction score
Not that I'm a norm but I need a family hauler and didnt have 40k to spend on a surburan so I bought a V10 excursion and a 12v and the rest is history.

To the op I love the way that thing shifts. PCS "base" tunes are a joke. I wonder if someone could put a TCM out of a 6.0l in a truck like a V10 X?

Mike
Do you have a 4R100 or 5R110 behind it?

TurboM700

Reaction score
4r100 but I alawys like the way the 5r110 shifted and the extra gear it has and it seems in stock for the 5r110 can handle more power.

If it is possible then I might start looking at accuring 5r110 parts

NathannialD

Reaction score
Levi has had a 5r behind his 6.7 cummins without the pcs for over a year now, much better than the pcs especially on a daily driver.

Reaction score
4r100 but I alawys like the way the 5r110 shifted and the extra gear it has and it seems in stock for the 5r110 can handle more power.

If it is possible then I might start looking at accuring 5r110 parts

You would need to ECM and harnesses out of a 6.0. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Might even be possible to use the 6.4 TCM if it could be bench flashed by it's self.

That's badass!

Thanks!

TurboM700

Reaction score
Ok so the TCM get infor from the ECM I would imagine. Might be more work then its worth.

I shall dig deeper and see what I can find.

Mike

Reaction score
Ok so the TCM get infor from the ECM I would imagine. Might be more work then its worth.

I shall dig deeper and see what I can find.

Mike

Easiest on your year would be a 6.0 ECM since it's also the TCM. But you would need the GEM and IC at the very least to keep it happy and still have gauges. In my experience of swapping a gas cab onto a diesel, (03 gas to 03 6.0) the entire body harness is different too.

MotorVation

Reaction score
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but this is literally what I'm dealing with as we speak.....05 commonrail 5.9 into 08 f250 6.4.

Is it possible to run the stock 6.4tcm? I figure if you can give it the information(correct imputs), why wouldn't it work? I mean, you're already getting tach, cps and cam position, oil pressure, etc. And you'd still have the factory tps....

Reaction score
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but this is literally what I'm dealing with as we speak.....05 commonrail 5.9 into 08 f250 6.4.

Is it possible to run the stock 6.4tcm? I figure if you can give it the information(correct imputs), why wouldn't it work? I mean, you're already getting tach, cps and cam position, oil pressure, etc. And you'd still have the factory tps....

That's exactly what we did with this truck. You'll need to build a dual pedal system as shown in the first post since it's a common rail. Other than that, the stock tcm and programming will get you by until you get some tuning on it.