Couple Questions on EGTs

Redpower

Reaction score
I just got a 6 pos chip in my 97 F-350 (108k, otherwise stock) and did some light towing with it today. I noticed while running down the hwy at 55-60 I could touch 1200* easily in the "stock" setting and probabily could have pushed it past that if I would have wanted to.
1. How high can I push my EGTs?
2. I am running a stock muffler now which has plans to come off before I get into any heavy towing. Will that lower my temps?

Tom S

Reaction score
That is too hot for what you were doing unless: there was a strong headwind, you were climbing pretty hard, your pyrometer is off, etc.

1200 to 1250 is the rule of thumb max temp for any kind of time. An intercooler is going to drop your temps more then the change out or deletion of a muffler.

Tom S

Reaction score
A headwind can really drive the EGT up and the Fuel Mileage down.

woodduck97

Reaction score
I was going to recomend to delete your cat on the truck. When I deleted mine it only had maybe a 2 inch area to breath through. I am still running the stock size exhaust with 300/200's and a stock turbo and egt's will stay in check unless I really push it.

Tom S

Reaction score
I was going to recomend to delete your cat on the truck. When I deleted mine it only had maybe a 2 inch area to breath through. I am still running the stock size exhaust with 300/200's and a stock turbo and egt's will stay in check unless I really push it.

Good point I saw straight pipe in the signature and skimmed right over that.

Whytry

Reaction score

That is a lot of fuel for an all stock setup

Redpower

Reaction score
I am thinking I am going to take off the stock exhaust and do something different. Now the question is what system to get?

60POWERSTROKE73

Reaction score
Diamond eye has a good set up for obs trucks
3" DP with a 4" straight pipe that should help.
That's what I had on my 97.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
dads obs with stge2 inj pulling 10k pounds of hay up a 6% aout a half mile long. started at 0 at the bottom of hill, by the time he hit the top he was running 95, his temps were 1600 for a good 20 seconds. after that there was alotttt of blowby. then he added a intercooler and inj on his (new after that hill incedint) motor he can keep it about 1300 with no probs witha 10k pound trailer. egt probe is pre turbo, intercooler will help you a ton. he built all his own plumbing for it. only thing he bought was a intercooler

Latest posts

Members online