Best fuel additive for the 6leaker

chappy

Reaction score
Well I have been using shaffers soy shield for years and I finally ran out. I remeber a study of diesel additives from a few years ago and optilube xpd was right at the top better then shaeffers additive. It would be roughly $2.35 a tank (25 gallons) for me to run the optilube xpd which is what I was paying for the shaeffer. So anyone else run it or know of a more recent study on fuel additives?

Atsah

Reaction score
Never used the stuff... I use Motorcraft perfromance cetane additive.. My 6.0 runs great with that stuff in it.. I buy it by the gallon, it's $36.00 at the dealer.. 4oz per 25 gallons, I put 8oz in everytime I fill it.. I run it year round..

Irontx

Reaction score
To be honest yall.......the only difference I ever noticed out of any of them was my wallet got lighter. I dont see what difference yall see.

Atsah

Reaction score
To be honest yall.......the only difference I ever noticed out of any of them was my wallet got lighter. I dont see what difference yall see.

When you raise the cetane level of your fuel from 36-42 at the pump, to 50 consider how much better your fuel burns.. Cetane levels in my area is in the 36-40 range.. My truck runs a lot better with Ford cetane in it.. A high cetane rating also helps keep your EGR system working cleaner if it's intact.. This has been my experience over the past 10 years..

strokin6L

Reaction score
DO NOT RUN ATF IN THE FUEL ON A 6L!!! It might be ok in a cummins or 7.3, but the injectors on a 6L are waaay more picky than anything. Only thing i use is Opti-lube XPD mixed with supertech 2 cycle oil from Walmart.

yeehaw

Reaction score

same, ran power service a couple times in winter mostly for an antigel, truck always seemed to run worse and get really bad MPG

i havnt ran any in the last 12k or so, truck runs great

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
I was told when i bought the truck to run fords cetane booster, which i did up until recently. I have no idea if it's necessary or not but since i don't drive the truck all that much while at school i don't put it in anymore. I will say the truck did seem to start better in the winter with the cetane booster in the tank.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I've pretty much stuck with Stanadyne since I got the truck. Noticeable difference in how the truck runs. I've heard mileage claims, but I've yet to put it to the test. I figure it costs me about $2.50 extra per tank.

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74

+1... We buy 2 pallets 3 foot high of this stuff every winter... it goes in every truck to keep from gelling. Also alot of our fleets run it and swear by it... I run it in my trucks. Every tank in winter and every other in summer

worldwide73

Reaction score
When i use premiun diesel I don't use anything, otherwise it 2cycle, powerservice, or penray depending on what in my truck box.