Clunk noise in rear end, metallic rattle/vibration front end

1996 Scorpion

Reaction score
Hey guys so these problems have been happening for a minute now. When I put the truck in reverse and give it a little gas I hear and feel a popping and clunk noise. Also when I'm going slower speeds I hear a metallic vibrating rolling noise coming from my front end.

Curious to see if you guys have some information for me on this or where I need to start looking.

Tom S

Reaction score
On the back the first thing that comes to my mind is U-bolt torque. On the front is this with the hubs locked in or not.

1996 Scorpion

Reaction score
Are the U-Bolt torque specs different from stock to lifted trucks? And this is with the hubs unlocked although when I did lock them once this past winter I believe I heard an odd humming noise.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
I would check the wheel bearings for the noise u hear up front. And I would also check u joints and carrier bearing

Tom S

Reaction score
I think your U bolt torque would be the same for the same size rod. I just had new U bolts made for the rear of mine. For the 5/8 ones the max torque was 177ft lbs. On the U-joints I would start out by checking for play.

1996 Scorpion

Reaction score
Alright I'll check what size I have, I also read probably for the smaller U bolts 145 ft lb was the max too. When I first bought the truck a year ago none of this happened but probably thanks to the bad vibrations my swampers are causing on the truck bolts are coming loose. I've had my front shock bolts wiggle out twice now.

Tom S

Reaction score
L and H rod is where Denver Spring get the rod from that they then custom bend to make U-bolts. I think there is a torque chart on their site.

1996 Scorpion

Reaction score
Thank you very much, I'll check it out. I really need to invest in a 4 link setup for my suspension as well I'm sick of the weird shuddering and popping going on with my suspension.

Latest posts

Members online