High Mileage 6.0?

Mtack

Reaction score
I have been looking at trucks lately and ran across an 04 Excursion. It is flawless but has 170,000 miles on it. Should I run away? It runs great and looks like it has never even had a receiver in the hitch. It was one owner and from the receipts in the dash was maintained very well. I am a little scared of the miles but the price is right. Any thoughts?

Goose

Reaction score
I wouldnt be scared, as long as it is a good running truck. I have 260k on my 6.0 and I tow 3+ times a week

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats not sh@t. If its maintained. I mean its not a 20k mile gem that was tucked away somewhere but there is no reason that well maintained diesel cant provide for reliable transportation. Stud it, delete it, tune it and take care of it.

Mtack

Reaction score
It will not be an everyday driver. I have only put 50,000 miles on my last vehicle in almost 8 years.

The excursion runs great, no noise, no smoke, and blow-by is almost non existent. I just have no experience with a 6.0 or the 5R110.

06 stroker

Reaction score
I agree. I wouldn't be afraid of it. I've said this for a long time....6.0 aren't bad motors,some of the people that work on them are just idiots!!!! Blame them. Buy it up

Atsah

Reaction score
It will not be an everyday driver. I have only put 50,000 miles on my last vehicle in almost 8 years.

The excursion runs great, no noise, no smoke, and blow-by is almost non existent. I just have no experience with a 6.0 or the 5R110.

Nothing really to worry about in the 5R110, Great trans IMO.. If it has been taken care of, I would not be skeered..

Goose

Reaction score

If that is your situation then I wouldn't get a 6.0l. 6.0s dont like being babied.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score

Even if you don't have it as a daily driver I would still take the time each day to drive it. As stated above me, 6.0's like to be ran. Just make an effort to get out and drive it a few miles each day. Actually, that goes for any vehicle lol

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Not saying you have access, but before I bought my truck I took the shops IDS laptop with me and nitpicked EVERY little thing. I even dropped the oil filter in the parking lot and cut it open to check it out. All you can do is go over the basics if you dont have IDS. Go with what you see, dont be afraid to commit, but dont jump on it... There are plenty of 6.0's out there waiting for a new owner.... PLENTY

Mtack

Reaction score
I have AutoEnginuity and plan on taking it with me. I don`t baby my junk when I drive it, I just will not be driving it everyday. I am not afraid to clean em` out!

What EGR delete do most people seem to run on these things? If I get it I plan on EGR delete, gauges, exhaust, and some tunes. Am I missing anything? I don`t plan on studding it unless it would happen to pop the head gaskets. Bad idea?

Thanks for the info guys, exactly what I was after.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
honestly, at the milege it wouldnt be a bad idea to stud it... You can also check the valve guides at this time to prevent future problems.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Id stud it just to alleviate some of the worry that comes with a truck that is known for headgasket failure issues.

Cobra 19 & 54

Reaction score
I have AutoEnginuity and plan on taking it with me. I don`t baby my junk when I drive it, I just will not be driving it everyday. I am not afraid to clean em` out!

What EGR delete do most people seem to run on these things? If I get it I plan on EGR delete, gauges, exhaust, and some tunes. Am I missing anything? I don`t plan on studding it unless it would happen to pop the head gaskets. Bad idea?

Thanks for the info guys, exactly what I was after.

EGR delete = GOGO Diesel, Autometer = Guages (Pyro, Boost, Fuel Press, and HPOP), exhaust = just go 4" turbo back in stainless (brand is your pref), SCT with Innovative tunes. That's how I'm stacked right now.:fordoval:

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Two of my buddies have "higher mileage" 6.0's. One is an 05 with 180k, the other is an 05 with 250k, the 05 was a completely CLEAN oasis report, NOTHING on it when purchased at 170k. The one with 250k only had a single EGR cooler replaced if memory serves, it's still on the original oil cooler. Both trucks are tuned now as well. The one with 250k is even jacked up 12" on 40" tires, and gets driven. It does have some sticking injectors now, but at that mileage, still impressive.

RocknRoll

Reaction score
So is it yours now? I absolutely love our 04 X. Maintain it well and run it often and it has had very few issues. I get a lot of compliments and people saying they wish Ford still made them!!!:lookaround:

Mtack

Reaction score
So is it yours now? I absolutely love our 04 X. Maintain it well and run it often and it has had very few issues. I get a lot of compliments and people saying they wish Ford still made them!!!:lookaround:

I haven`t even had a day off to go drive it yet. I got an Oasis report on it today and it leaves me with as many questions as answers. I am off Tuesday so I am going to drive up then and take a better look at it.

Latest posts

Members online