OBS PSD Bronco... The Question Thread

Reaction score
Well this is an idea thats been churning in the ol noggin for awhile, and since my car got totaled in march :mad: and the trans went kaput in the 95, and i'm already sick of bouncing around in a regular cab... now is as good a time as any to get the ball rolling here.

My 95 is gonna be the organ donor for this project, down to the axles...

First thing i'm pondering on is, I was gonna go with a handshaker in the bronco, but i'm tending to lean towards an automatic the more i think about it, as its very likely that for awhile, this ride will be my DD...

So what can be expected of an auto trans from a 93-96 bronco behind a PSD, with some modding? I'm thinking comprable to my 97 which right now sits at 350 RWHP, if its not much, can it be reliably beefed up, or am i ahead to go with a good built one?

I've got alot of ideas to kick around here, as this is gonna be drwan out for start to finish... still bronco shopping:cool: But i figured if a discussion could be started, i'd do it here...

Let me know your thoughts or idea on any aspect of it... thanks:D

95powersmoker

Reaction score
For the auto, I believe you need a trans from a 7.3L...And in stock form, it will not hold 350 happily... Look into a triple disk torque converter and valve body upgrades.. That will help the trans last longer.

Reaction score
For the auto, I believe you need a trans from a 7.3L...And in stock form, it will not hold 350 happily... Look into a triple disk torque converter and valve body upgrades.. That will help the trans last longer.

Those were my thoughts as well, i didn't know if it was possible to build the bronco trans enough to make it worthwhile or not.

Auto transmissions are my kryptonite, i know enough about them to get me in troubleLOL

rc4wd

Reaction score
I'd say 5 speed with a southbend for fun factor and reliability, but if you just want to go with an auto I'd definately go with a built auto from a 7.3

Reaction score
Built auto FTMFW!!!

BTS and done...

haha yeah, i was leaning towards BTS for the auto

valair can hook you up with a great clutch.

are the valairs pretty good? i have a southbend in my 97, and have been real pleased.

I'm real torn on the tranny, i even thought about making it capable to swap back and forth hahaha

ccarrier

Reaction score
valairs are great clutches.

and they have the best customers service of any company ive ever dealt with.

btw, i have a 5 speed tunnel plate sitting here if you decide to go that route.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Well this is an idea thats been churning in the ol noggin for awhile, and since my car got totaled in march :mad: and the trans went kaput in the 95, and i'm already sick of bouncing around in a regular cab... now is as good a time as any to get the ball rolling here.

My 95 is gonna be the organ donor for this project, down to the axles...

First thing i'm pondering on is, I was gonna go with a handshaker in the bronco, but i'm tending to lean towards an automatic the more i think about it, as its very likely that for awhile, this ride will be my DD...

So what can be expected of an auto trans from a 93-96 bronco behind a PSD, with some modding? I'm thinking comprable to my 97 which right now sits at 350 RWHP, if its not much, can it be reliably beefed up, or am i ahead to go with a good built one?

I've got alot of ideas to kick around here, as this is gonna be drwan out for start to finish... still bronco shopping:cool: But i figured if a discussion could be started, i'd do it here...

Let me know your thoughts or idea on any aspect of it... thanks:D

Where do you live?
BTW Auto is the only way to go in a 7.3 PSD Bronco.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
David,

What would you charge if someone brought you the motor and truck to do this swap?

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
David,

What would you charge if someone brought you the motor and truck to do this swap?

That depends on how in depth or complete you want the swap, what suspension/axles you go with, dash working like factory, exhaust etc.

I am fixing to do another one with a 6.4, but with 1/2 ton axles:D

Reaction score
Oh I gotcha... I'd love to get a good look at a completed one. I don't intend for mine to be half assed by any means. I'm all ears for input from someone who's done it.

I see your in houston... I get to az a time or two a year... I may have to look you up on the way!

Reaction score
Riddle me this, i've got my eye on several... found a 95 all black, immaculate...126k but the guys asking $7000, seems high, i'm looking to spend about 5k for the bronco, i'm after a nice XLT or Eddie Bauer

what could i expect to get out of the gasser engine, tranny and electronics...? i have no need for it, and would like to be able to make a buck or two off of it.

Latest posts

Members online