Irate fuel lines

freddie

Reaction score
Does anyone have the irate SS fuel line kit? If so, how do you like it?

I'm looking to clean the valley of my engine up, and possibly get rid of the SS braided teflon fuel hose that I have.

Looking for reviews of the irate fuel lines and whether you'd buy them again?

psduser1

Reaction score
They are nice. I've had set for several years, never any issues. The only limitation I could see might be some odd turbo setup, but that would have to be a pretty unusual setup, as the hard lines are pretty tight to the heads. Mine is on a '00, fwiw, but should be very similar on an obs.

5 oh

Reaction score
I run an irate fuel system and I did have one issue with the hard lines. If you look at the pics for the obs fuel system setup, irate has the regular suspended in the air being held up by the two short lines coming from the front of each head. After a few years on my truck (and I don’t drive it much maybe 2k miles a year), the vibration snapped the fitting off at the front of the passenger side head right where it tapers down to 1/8NPT. I was 3 hours from home when it happened too. The timing cover is so tight to that area of the head it was a huge pain in the a** to get out the broken fitting. I’ve since replaced the passenger hard line with a push lock line I made and the assembly does not vibrate at all anymore and there has been no further issue since. I had every intention on making a bracket for the regulator but I never got around to it. Not sure if anyone else had an issue like that or if maybe I got a poorly made fitting although it was Parker.

Also I run an irate t4 mount with an s369 and have no clearence issues anywhere with the hard lines

freddie

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys! I love the idea of a hard line setup, but was not sure I liked how the regulator was suspended in the air like that, I wondered if vibration would fatigue and cause a failure. I'm sure if the regulator was mounted on a bracket that it would really help.

With my SS braid I have just heard a lot of warnings about engine vibration causing the SS braid to wear through anything it might be in contact with. Plus it is such a pain in the ass to deal with, that I don't want to imagine a road side repair. Has me thinking about switching all of my tubing to push lok.

psduser1

Reaction score
Don't get rid of the ss line, it's there because it works. There is only a couple of other hose options, and they have their limitations, as well.
I did mount my regulator to the alternator bracket, and I haven't had any issues over 150k miles.

5 oh

Reaction score
I have installed an irate fuel system on a super duty and it came with a nice bracket for the regulator. Some day I will make one for mine because the obs kit didn’t come with one

jschildm

Reaction score
I have the kit in my OBS and have no complaints with the system. The rear drivers side fitting was a bitch to get changed, but other than that install went fine. I also think the regulator should get a bracket, but I installed it in January of 2012 and have not had any issues. I have gone through a couple walbro pumps, but thats it.

Reaction score
With 40 years of diesel engine work in my rear view, this is exactly what I thought about the Irate fuel lines set up on the engine. No support.

I also don't like the fact the plumbing on the engine is not symmetrical , it is likely more my anal tendencies than a real issue.

Braided stainless is ok but if it rubs it is done. There is cloth covered hose with reusable ends this nearly as good but not as fragile. Take a look at a photo of a Dyno Proven system.

I run an irate fuel system and I did have one issue with the hard lines. If you look at the pics for the obs fuel system setup, irate has the regular suspended in the air being held up by the two short lines coming from the front of each head. After a few years on my truck (and I don’t drive it much maybe 2k miles a year), the vibration snapped the fitting off at the front of the passenger side head right where it tapers down to 1/8NPT. I was 3 hours from home when it happened too. The timing cover is so tight to that area of the head it was a huge pain in the a** to get out the broken fitting. I’ve since replaced the passenger hard line with a push lock line I made and the assembly does not vibrate at all anymore and there has been no further issue since. I had every intention on making a bracket for the regulator but I never got around to it. Not sure if anyone else had an issue like that or if maybe I got a poorly made fitting although it was Parker.

Also I run an irate t4 mount with an s369 and have no clearence issues anywhere with the hard lines

Reaction score
I guess I should have known better than to mention DP. It was just a quick referenceable photo of the cloth covered braided steel hose that has been industry standard for fuel and less vunerable to mechanical damage than braided SS, at least bare braided SS.

freddie

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses! Maybe I will consider the kit and make a bracket. I'm undecided right now.

freddie

Reaction score
I have heard that name. Do you have pictures of the kit? I searched on google and nothing came up.

Reaction score
Meantime since you got me thinking about this a again I discovered a new one that is what I have been looking for.

Check out 444 Fab. Very clean lines, willing to do custom work .

Also coming out with a 4th option for an affordable T4 kit.

freddie

Reaction score
Nice find! I will message them this thread link to at least get their feedback. These are the only pictures of a regulated return system I could find. I didn't see any pictures or mention yet of supply lines.

We will see what they offer. Otherwise I am leaning towards ordering Aeroquip socketless hose and fittings and redoing my system with that(and some thermal insulation for the hoses).

Attachments

• 23632307_906690866164476_6299062746850169841_o.jpg
    23632307_906690866164476_6299062746850169841_o.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 22008303_880796908753872_8187705356998611527_n.jpg
    22008303_880796908753872_8187705356998611527_n.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 61

m j

Reaction score
the black dynoproven stuff is cheap chinese stuff. I buy it. supposed to be PTFE liner. it gets sold as 'Performance World' locally and they charge like its real Russell or Earls

freddie

Reaction score
Attached are the supply lines of the 444Fab kit. They are stainless lines with insulation over them. Granted I would greatly prefer lines that run to the rear of the heads, but otherwise I like the way this kit. My only other "concern" is the tee for the supply line to the passenger head.

Attachments

• 31143926_1006245399542355_6534017709720469504_n.jpg
    31143926_1006245399542355_6534017709720469504_n.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 65
Reaction score
Well, nothing is perfect but so far I love the 444 Fab fuel systems. I'm contacting them this week.

As far as your pic of the valley with the rear lines and tee.... I would like to see that bolted down with some good lined P clamps at least. I see a couple of opportune spots, but I have Beans plenums so that may add more issues.
Still the best laid out lines of all. I was put off at first by the non symmetrical layout of the supply lines but then realized one side has the straight run of the tee and a 90 at the head, the other has the branch of the tee (90) and a straight into the head. So symmetrical 90 on both sides. Not perfect but close.

I plan to run the stock lines that snake out of the valley and end by the steering box. The blue covered braided stainless quick connect hose goes from 3/8 engine end to 5/16 line back to the the selector valve. I have a new 3/8 line bent to run down the frame (NO pushlock tie wrapped here and there....)
I will be silver soldering male JIC on all the steel lines and using braided stainless hose.

NO hose clamps No tie wraps

Latest posts

Members online