2011 F350 Non Vgt 63 turbo questions

3sixjoshua

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I hate to ask such a common question, but unfortunately I have not seen many posts that relate to my particular circumstances.

So alittle back ground.. 2011 F350 Srw 6.7 tuned, sitting on 275/65R20. I travel full timing pulling a 15th wheel that weighs in around 16k. I have been coast to coast in all kinds of different elevations towing. I normally tow about 5k miles a year and the rest of the time I am unloaded.

I am seriously considering the MPD 63 kit with piping. I don’t normally hot rod around, and I am pretty happy with running a safe hot tune.

The question that I have are..
1- How is towing with the 63 in higher elevation scenarios?
2- How are the tunes towing? (ATM I drop to stock tunes towing they the hills and lockout 6th, and kick up to tow on flat ground)
3- How is spool up with a trailer attached?
4- Is there anybody that regrets going the Non-VGT route that works the truck. (I understand that turbo characteristics will change compared to the SST turbo.)
5- ATM, who has the most consistent and reliable tunes for the 11-14 Non-VGT H&S?

I’m sure this has been asked a bunch, and I’m sure somebody is going to say use the search function. Quite honestly though.. I have been trying to research this subject for the last couple of years and I have gone back and forth between Midwest and MPD. I’m really just looking for first hand experience with the 63 towing Gross weight.

I appreciate any help guys. I am ready to pull the trigger on a new turbo set up real soon.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3sixjoshua

Reaction score
df681e50f083a7ada8765b41a054def2.jpg

This is my current set up ATM

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I have no first world experience but would at least recommend the 68 turbine to try and minimize the losses in spool up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I hate to ask such a common question, but unfortunately I have not seen many posts that relate to my particular circumstances.

So alittle back ground.. 2011 F350 Srw 6.7 tuned, sitting on 275/65R20. I travel full timing pulling a 15th wheel that weighs in around 16k. I have been coast to coast in all kinds of different elevations towing. I normally tow about 5k miles a year and the rest of the time I am unloaded.

I am seriously considering the MPD 63 kit with piping. I don’t normally hot rod around, and I am pretty happy with running a safe hot tune.

The question that I have are..
1- How is towing with the 63 in higher elevation scenarios?
2- How are the tunes towing? (ATM I drop to stock tunes towing they the hills and lockout 6th, and kick up to tow on flat ground)
3- How is spool up with a trailer attached?
4- Is there anybody that regrets going the Non-VGT route that works the truck. (I understand that turbo characteristics will change compared to the SST turbo.)
5- ATM, who has the most consistent and reliable tunes for the 11-14 Non-VGT H&S?

I’m sure this has been asked a bunch, and I’m sure somebody is going to say use the search function. Quite honestly though.. I have been trying to research this subject for the last couple of years and I have gone back and forth between Midwest and MPD. I’m really just looking for first hand experience with the 63 towing Gross weight.

I appreciate any help guys. I am ready to pull the trigger on a new turbo set up real soon.

Cheers

i towed about 12k across southern california, in the heat , no issues. towed great. i think if high altitude is a factor i'd go VGT , but if not, non vgt works great.

3sixjoshua

Reaction score
i towed about 12k across southern california, in the heat , no issues. towed great. i think if high altitude is a factor i'd go VGT , but if not, non vgt works great.

Sweet! Which turbo are your running? What type of tune were you using while towing? And how responsive was the turbo on whatever tune you were running while towing?

I normally hookup and pull to a job and sit for at least 6 months or so. But most of the time I am crunched for time and have to take some routes that end up being pretty steep to save some time on the road.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Don’t know too much about the 6.7 but what a beautiful setup you have brother!

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

gotchadollar

Reaction score
i have 64.5 towing a 32ft 5th wheel and four wheel trailer in high elevation in utah and i have no issues towing besides i lost the exhaust brake. i have H&S kit and i love it.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Sweet! Which turbo are your running? What type of tune were you using while towing? And how responsive was the turbo on whatever tune you were running while towing?

I normally hookup and pull to a job and sit for at least 6 months or so. But most of the time I am crunched for time and have to take some routes that end up being pretty steep to save some time on the road.

i HAD the MPD kit with a 63mm . that was with GH MCC on a minimaxx. that was on my 13 F250 , it has a bit more turbo on it now so i cant give anyone any comparisons anymore LOL

i have 64.5 towing a 32ft 5th wheel and four wheel trailer in high elevation in utah and i have no issues towing besides i lost the exhaust brake. i have H&S kit and i love it.

well there ya go ! even the 64.5 will do in altitude!

hit me up and i can help get something for ya in a package that will suit your needs.

gotchadollar

Reaction score
Higher chance of failure with vgt, I seen a lot higher back pressure and egts with with my factory 15 turbo. But I’ve always been a non vgt fan. It takes talent to get my truck over 1200 degrees where before I could smack 1500 no problem. If I was to redo my set up I would maybe consider Midwest compound kit.
question I have is why not the vgt for the same price? and have an exhaust brake for that load?

doo dah

Reaction score
I have an Industrial Injection 63 non vgt on my truck. I don't regret it at all. I tow a 42' fiver in the mountains every spring break to hit the ski resorts and truck does fine. Transmission downshifts do an adequate job without the exhaust beak. Tunes from GH run really clean and have plenty of power without too much surge, TyRaNt were a bit smoky for me. My current tunes are from Truck Source Diesel because they are local and could dyno tune so they are perfect for my truck. Not sure they do email tunes.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
For what you are wanting a "15 style vgt" will be your best option. I would be very lost without my factory Exhaust break. Especially in switchbacks and mountain driving.

Midwest sells a new style 15 turbo that supposedly spools faster than a stock, and you keep your EB.
Mikey or someone will need to correct me, but I believe they can tune an exhaust break in for the 11-14 now. I may be wrong.... but BD makes a module to do just that also...

Just my 2 cents.

No Limit can set you up with that option along with the correct tuning as well.

Codydiesel

Reaction score
I had a sx363 not the sxe version. It was a 363/68/.90 and it was a great quick spooling turbo and towed at altitude well. But the biggest problem with the 68mm turbine wheel was back pressure and could over speed the turbo easily. I think my turbo made it 9 months before it made contact with the housings. I would do a sxe 363/74/.90 then it will have good turbine flow without loosing much drivability.

Reaction score
I had a 364.5sxe and it was very laggy at elevation towing or unloaded. The guy I sold it to is local and he has to lock out 6th on the highway. If he doesn't he says the truck will be hunting for gears and smoking out the interstate. He's on 37's and has 3.55s so that might contribute.

Although I did make 750 rwhp with it and a dual fueler, it was not practical for me the way I use my truck. It was fun to drive though.

Then I tried a the smaller 363sxe and it was still too laggy for my taste. Both turbos had the bigger 74 turbine so maybe the 68 would help at elevation, but I dont know all I can say is what I have experience with.

Both setups felt like a 2 stroke, all top end. The power thoughout the rpm range wasn't there. The higher in elevation I got the more rpm I needed to spool the turbo. At around 10000' I'd had to be at 2200 rpm to start spooling the 364.5 and the 363 wasn't that much better.

I live at 7500' and tow on regular basis from 2500' to 10000'. At the lower elevations the truck ran great with both setups. Spooled fast and made good mid range power but when you get past 6500' the truck had a lot less usable rpm.

I now have a 15+ vgt and it has a broader power band. Not as good as the sst but very comparable. Although it makes a lot less power than the prevoiusly mentioned turbos it still makes more than the sst and has enough power to tow anyting I want.

If I could do it all over again I would've left my truck stock besides the basic d e l e t e s. I would've never blew my trans and spent countless hours wrencing on my new truck. I spent almost 20k including the newest setup. Hell for what I wasted I could've had a pretty good start to a real hot rod.

Take it for what it is this is my experience with non vgt's and I am not trying to discredit anybody else and their experience. The non vgt's just dont suit my needs or expectations that I have for my truck.

Last edited:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I had a 364.5sxe and it was very laggy at elevation towing or unloaded. The guy I sold it to is local and he has to lock out 6th on the highway. If he doesn't he says the truck will be hunting for gears and smoking out the interstate. He's on 37's and has 3.55s so that might contribute.

Although I did make 750 rwhp with it and a dual fueler, it was not practical for me the way I use my truck. It was fun to drive though.

Then I tried a the smaller 363sxe and it was still too laggy for my taste. Both turbos had the bigger 74 turbine so maybe the 68 would help at elevation, but I dont know all I can say is what I have experience with.

Both setups felt like a 2 stroke, all top end. The power thoughout the rpm range wasn't there. The higher in elevation I got the more rpm I needed to spool the turbo. At around 10000' I'd had to be at 2200 rpm to start spooling the 364.5 and the 363 wasn't that much better.

I live at 7500' and tow on regular basis from 2500' to 10000'. At the lower elevations the truck ran great with both setups. Spooled fast and made good mid range power but when you get past 6500' the truck had a lot less usable rpm.

I now have a 15+ vgt and it has a broader power band. Not as good as the sst but very comparable. Although it makes a lot less power than the prevoiusly mentioned turbos it still makes more than the sst and has enough power to tow anyting I want.

If I could do it all over again I would've left my truck stock besides the basic d e l e t e s. I would've never blew my trans and spent countless hours wrencing on my new truck. I spent almost 20k including the newest setup. Hell for what I wasted I could've had a pretty good start to a real hot rod.

Take it for what it is this is my experience with non vgt's and I am not trying to discredit anybody else and their experience. The non vgt's just dont suit my needs or expectations that I have for my truck.

Words of wisdom!

Nothing wrong with a little modifications. But for those that need top notch reliability it's best to keep it in the FoMoCo realm of mods. Upgrade to a 15+ turbo, pump, and tuning. Be done!

NMSVT

Reaction score
Come on Brad you know the NON-VGTs rule!!!

Coming from my stock 13 turbo, the truck definitely towed better because of that almost instant spool. Truck ran great with the canned H&S tunes. But it didn’t have the power I missed from my previous truck (6.4). So I decided to buy my friend Brad’s (Black.smoke.r.us) setup. Know I run a Midwest built trans, s363, 15+ pump and TD tuning. Love it! Occasionally the lag can suck passing people on the street because my truck SMOOOKESSSS and I have to manually down shift at times. Never gets old but I am at high altitude 7k+.

I’m actually looking into getting a dual fuel kit and also upgrading the turbo for even more power. I’ll have to deal with more lag but oh well. I can say that my EGTS are always in check and is VERY hard to even touch 1300* on heavy throttle. I actually took my truck to the dyno and they disconnected the mini maxx and truck went back to stock tune and it still made 482/898. I was really disappointed until I found that the truck was on stock tune. Truck should be 600/1100 or close. Didn’t know that pulling tuner would revert back to stock tune.

OP as for the switch definitely do it. Truck sounds different, lower EGTs, more power, and reliability. Good luck on which ever route you go.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Come on Brad you know the NON-VGTs rule!!!

Coming from my stock 13 turbo, the truck definitely towed better because of that almost instant spool. Truck ran great with the canned H&S tunes. But it didn’t have the power I missed from my previous truck (6.4). So I decided to buy my friend Brad’s (Black.smoke.r.us) setup. Know I run a Midwest built trans, s363, 15+ pump and TD tuning. Love it! Occasionally the lag can suck passing people on the street because my truck SMOOOKESSSS and I have to manually down shift at times. Never gets old but I am at high altitude 7k+.

I’m actually looking into getting a dual fuel kit and also upgrading the turbo for even more power. I’ll have to deal with more lag but oh well. I can say that my EGTS are always in check and is VERY hard to even touch 1300* on heavy throttle. I actually took my truck to the dyno and they disconnected the mini maxx and truck went back to stock tune and it still made 482/898. I was really disappointed until I found that the truck was on stock tune. Truck should be 600/1100 or close. Didn’t know that pulling tuner would revert back to stock tune.

OP as for the switch definitely do it. Truck sounds different, lower EGTs, more power, and reliability. Good luck on which ever route you go.

let me know when you're ready !!

08Monster

Reaction score
I've got dual fuel and a 363, pretty good setup. When I got the MPD piping kit, that made a gigantic difference in spool.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online