3-4 shift in tow haul

ckrueg

Reaction score
Well I checked the easy tune and the values are still screwed up. I'm gonna email h&s about it

TD-5

Reaction score
to revisit this, the Tow/Haul OSS numbers do not correlate with the regular shift schedule.

I'm not sure how H&S calculates OSS, but it's certainly confusing

This really doesn't help, but over a year ago when I was trying to modify the shift points in the S1L schedule, I e-mailed H&S with several questions. One was concerning the shift points.
They said then that the Ford programming used "Floating point representation" & that the numbers represented what the TCM was actually seeing.

Here is what I asked & the answers I recieved:
1)The shift point parameters use a % throttle position axis. I understand there are 10 positions representing 0 to 100% throttle. These positions are given numbers ranging from 0 to 1020. What do these numbers represent?
2)What exactly is "Hot Mode"
3)Under the Torque heading, Curves; there are Several torque management items; what is the Torque truncation switch?
4) Under torque converter, Values ;there are two parameters that use the term "Minimum Speed ratio" what ratio are they referring to?
[/I

The 0-1020 values represent 0-100 percent throttle. They are not scaled correctly because the TCM uses floating point data representation for those values. We cannot currently manipulate floating point values with our MCC software, so they are seen exactly as the TCM sees them.

Hot mode is a different torque converter scheduling used when the TCM thinks the trans fluid is too hot. Locking the converter earlier saves lots of heat buildup. Mcc allows adjustment of when to enter and exit hot mode as well as the torque converter lock during hot mode.

Torque truncation is just one way for the TCM to manage engine output torque.

Minimum speed ratios are used to limit converter lockup. It is a ratio of engine speed to transmission input shaft speed. Pretty much saying if the torque converter is losing too much rpm, don't lock the converter.

I ain't no computer programmer so the floating point representation was/is over my head. I tried looking up the meaning & it only confused me more!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_point.

After a lot of trial & error I did get my shift points pretty well where I wanted them, with some help from another fellow from the H&S forum.

Another thing I have noticed is all the shift points & converter lock up points in the earlier versions of MCC where in MPH, but since MCC has been updated they have changed the MPH to OSS( output shaft speed) for all the shift points ,yet the converter lock points are still in MPH.
Possibly.... this is simply so users don't associate the shift point figures with actual(real) MPH shifts.

MCC is such a great programming tool, but unfortunately there is no user manual & everything for the general user is by trial & error. This can be very dangerous & expensive...... Most likely this is why H&S won't offer any advice as they don't want to be liable for us blowing up our trucks!

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
That's all very good information.

But if the truck is shifting at 3900rpm at WOT on the 3-4 shift and he has the desired WOT shift RPM pulled to 3000 or even 2500 and he pulls the desired OSS at 40, 35, 30, etc. and NOTHING changes on that ONE specific parameter?

there's a bug in the software

It's a big program and H&S isn't a big company. Nothing against them what-so-ever! But they have had a few glitches here and there in their normal tuning and with the MCC setup. They are very proud of that program and are happy to learn of and fix glitches like this.

to the OP, is your truck a Job 1 or Job 2+

Maybe I could send you some files that DON'T exhibit this shifting characteristic on MY trucks, and if it continues on yours, then we know the problem is with your truck (TCM?) and not the MCC software

ckrueg

Reaction score

But if the truck is shifting at 3900rpm at WOT on the 3-4 shift and he has the desired WOT shift RPM pulled to 3000 or even 2500 and he pulls the desired OSS at 40, 35, 30, etc. and NOTHING changes on that ONE specific parameter?

It's a big program and H&S isn't a big company. Nothing against them what-so-ever! But they have had a few glitches here and there in their normal tuning and with the MCC setup. They are very proud of that program and are happy to learn of and fix glitches like this.

Maybe I could send you some files that DON'T exhibit this shifting characteristic on MY trucks, and if it continues on yours, then we know the problem is with your truck (TCM?) and not the MCC software
It's a 2010 so job2+.

It's a 2010 so job2+. I emailed h&s but haven't had a response yet. That would be awesome, could you send me your files and I'll see if they change anything.

TD-5

Reaction score

Totally agree , & excellent idea to switch files to see if its an MCC glitch or the TCM on his truck.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I'll have one of my Job 2 trucks back on the road here in the next few days. I'll test a few tunes and make sure I've got one that doesn't exhibit this issue and get a file to you.

PM me your VIN and email address

ckrueg

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas? I've contacted h&s with no response. To be clear, the problem is that no changes made to the 3-4 shift in tow haul affect the shifting. I've tried using other base files and it doesn't help.

Reaction score
Did you ever get this sorted out? I'm having issues make changes to the trans tune and seeing no result or changes.

Reaction score
darn lol. On the 3-4 tow haul shift table..no matter what values I set it always shifts at the same place. (not WOT) But any of the other shift tables all work when changed. It doesn't make sense.

Kind

Reaction score
Did you update you definition files or set your truck back to stock, reload your base file and start for scratch?

I know with my truck I never touch alt-4th. I adjust gears 1-2-3-4-5 and they always do what I programmed.

ckrueg

Reaction score
In the H&S files they refer to 5th as 4th and the true 4th gear as alt 4th so it's not that. I've tried a couple different definitions and different exported tunes. Haven't tried returning to stock however.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hsaxe64

Reaction score
I know this is old, but did you try modifying the X-axis (throttle position. It doesn't say, but they look like they are in units of torque)

ckrueg

Reaction score
I didn't try that but I'm not sure how that would help. The truck acted like it didn't even reference that table for the shift

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online