2012 crank no start low rail pressure

JTS

Reaction score
I picked up a non running 2012 king ranch on friday with 216k miles. The person I bought it off of got it from the auction as a repo and had no idea the issue because someone had already took the intakes off and some of the belt drive stuff as well as the fender liners were also pulled and looked like they were about to work on the fuel system. The person I bought it from had done nothing other than unload it in their lot after buying it.

Put 2 new batteries in it and checked codes, I've got the following-
P0087- Fuel rail/system pressure too low
P0193- Fuel rail pressure sensor high input
P0090- Fuel pressure regulator control circuit
P062A- Fuel pump A control circuit range/performance
And a bunch of others from various things that are unplugged right now.

Found the DFCM unplugged, which explains the P062A. Plugged it in and found a broken injector return line on the passenger bank front cyl. Need to fix that.

When cranking commanded rail pressure is 6700psi and the system won't build over 200psi. CP4 looks very new. If not brand new, it's a hellofa lot newer than anything around it. This was when cranking while the DFCM was pumping and leaking out that return line, I can't imagine that would be enough of a leak to keep it from building rail psi. Just cranked it like this for a few seconds to see what rail pressure did and then unplugged the DFCM again until I can fix that return line.

Where do i start checking? This is the first 6.7 I've touched and know very little about them, I've only dealt with 7.3 and 6.0 up until now. The more searching I do it seems everyone sends them to the dealer and has no clue how to fix them.

Any help is appreciated, or even any direction where I can find good DIY info for someone not wanting to send to the dealer. I have no problem doing the research, just seems I'm looking in the wrong places.

sootie

Reaction score
Get that leak fixed, it can cause more issues than you think. What is your low pressure file side making for psi?

JTS

Reaction score
I'm going to try and get the leak taken care of today if I have time, then I'll check low side pressure.

JTS

Reaction score
The return line T at the front of the passenger side bank is what's broke and leaking. Going to try and get one from the dealer tomorrow.

Pulled the VCV out of the CP4 and it was clean as could be and the inside of the pump looked like brand new. Pulled the regulator out of the back of the drivers rail and it was clean too. Pulled a fuel sample from the rail and it was clean. Fingers crossed that it's just the leak causing my issue.

JTS

Reaction score
Dealer wanted $245 for a return line kit... Found them online for $139, supposed to be OEM Motorcraft parts. We'll see when they get here Wednesday. If all goes well I'll have them on Thursday after work and see what happens.

JTS

Reaction score
Valve in the back of the drivers side rail looked fine.

Return lines are replaced, ran the LP pump several times, cranking i cant get it over 650ps. Was getting a high pitched squeal with the LP pump running, assumed it was air. Tried cracking the injector lines at the rail to bleed air, did 1 on each side, got a bunch of air out. Did that several times on each side until i was getting straight fuel. No change, still only seeing 650 cranking. But the squeal is gone.

Volume control valve and pressure control valve both show 48-49% when cranking. Commanded rail pressure is 5900-6k. Low pressure switch status shows "NOT LOW" with the pump on, and when cranking. I havet pulled the fuel filter, but i dont hear it sucking air like if it was put in wrong. I've ran the pump and blead it for probably a cumulative total of close to an hour.

What else do you check before you assume the pump isn't as new as you originally thought and that maybe it's bad?

sootie

Reaction score
Dont EVER crack the steel fuel lines on a common rail engine and crank it over. You can be killed from the pressure of the fuel spray. Is there by chance fuel in the oil? Wondering if a stuck injector is not allowing the system to build pressure.

JTS

Reaction score
Im aware, I work on common rail systems at work on ISX's. I cracked the line and ran the LP pump. I never cranked it with the line open.

Oil is at the right level, and does not smell like fuel.

sootie

Reaction score
its cheaper to replace the pcv than the pump-could try that and see.

JTS

Reaction score
Thats the one on the back of the rail right? The one on the top of the pump is new, someone had just changed it.

JTS

Reaction score
I may be able to get my hands on a good used one. I'll try that before buying a new one.

JTS

Reaction score
Waiting on the title to show up before I throw some money at it... played with it a little more out of boredom and found this.... pic quality sucks, but that's metal. Guess I'll be replacing it all...

Attachments

• 20180408_150023.jpg
    20180408_150023.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
  • 20180408_150031.jpg
    20180408_150031.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 167

JTS

Reaction score
Eh, it's not terrible I guess. I bought the truck assuming it needed an engine, so this is a pleasant surprise.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Oh well that is better news than an engine I guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

JTS

Reaction score
Title to the truck showed up Friday, so I ordered all the parts last night. I got a 2015 pump and injectors along with everything else to make up the contamination kit.

Will I need tuning for the 15 pump/injectors on a stock 2012? What about if I ditch the EGR at the same time? Not concerned about a light being on at this point, I'll get tuning later, just want to see it run and get some miles on it right now before I do much else.

Latest posts

Members online