Blown up again

Joshf250

Reaction score
How about the scotch bright finger discs? I’ve used razor blades on a few trucks and have never had any issues. I guess better my truck than someone else’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshf250

Reaction score
And there’s always the possibility that the heads may be cracked and not the head gasket blown. I haven’t had a chance to get it taken apart yet.

08Monster

Reaction score
And there’s always the possibility that the heads may be cracked and not the head gasket blown. I haven’t had a chance to get it taken apart yet.

If the truck hasn't been overheated bad, I wouldn't be overly worried about cracked heads. I usually only see cracks when the truck has been way overheated, like 250+

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Joshf250

Reaction score
Hopefully there not then, the truck has never ran hot on me.

Mhatlen

Reaction score
Hopefully there not then, the truck has never ran hot on me.

How did you come out on this ?

My thoughts are all you need for the heads is surfaced o-ringed with 425 ARP fasteners.
The pushrods by all means get updated. Lifters if high mileage or engines been pushed hard at upper rpm’s from a heavy foot.
Then of coarse ALL updated HPO parts.

That’s the bare minimum ^^^^

Rebuilding both heads with bronze guides new valves & springs if the trucks loved and long term. Resealing the injectors and HPO system along with turbo rebuild is very wise. I paid the obscene price for the 625’s when I went through mine but I wouldn’t do it again or suggest it to anyone that’s under 500 HP because the 425’s w/ o-rings is all you will ever need.
I still haven’t seen any failures on the forums with those properly done. Know several people running 425’s with 600+ HP and hammering trucks without a issue.

Post up your outcome if possible. Inquiring minds want a conclusion.

:)

Joshf250

Reaction score
I will definitely post up everything I find out, I am still working on getting everything that I want to do to the engine. Im wanting to build a very solid engine for any upgrades that I will want to do in the future.

Mhatlen

Reaction score
I will definitely post up everything I find out, I am still working on getting everything that I want to do to the engine. Im wanting to build a very solid engine for any upgrades that I will want to do in the future.
Holy Hoppin fast responses Batman, :)

My main point was don’t blow money on 625’s unless your building a puller IMO. Moneys much better spent elsewhere because the 425’s are more then needed with o-rings.
Bare heads with 625’s will still blow the gaskets because there’s not enough clamping points to keep the composition gaskets from experiencing expansion and contraction around the bores.
Pounds per square inch on the fire ring location with the SS rings is the key here. Rest of the mating areas are criss crossed with the head bolt clamping pressure.

My last two cents is: IMHO our 6.0 isn’t a good candidate for HP above 475-500 because of its head design. The 4 valve per cylinder makes beautiful HP because of its ability to flow so well for its cubic inch displacement. But comes at a price because of the small valves used to make that possible. The exhaust valves don’t stand a chance long term at high HP outputs because they just can’t shed the heat from lack of stem area.
I rebuilt thousands of cylinder heads when I was young and better looking working as a machinist at a engine shop.

That said..........LOL
Good Luck on the engine work.

Joshf250

Reaction score
I appreciate the feed back, always like hearing different peoples experiences and opinions. I’m still undecided on the exact route I want to go with, so I still have time to make an exact plan on what I want to do. But thank you for the input!

Latest posts

Members online