Dana 60 swap *dumb questions*

cbuttre835

Reaction score
Wow. I searched my thread history and this Dana 60 swap has been almost a 4 year project. Part time, of course. It also morphed into a turbocharger upgrade, intercooler install, HID headlight conversion, Plasti-Dip-almost-everything, powder coat anything else metal, that kind of project.

Anyhow. Little bit confused on some stuff.

Dumb Question #1:

I'm using OBS F-350 springs with a Sky RSK. Which end does the military wrap go on? (It appears with the spring under the truck that it should be in the back but....)

Dumb Question #2:

I've decided to keep the sway bar. I've got the Banks mounts for the 460 Powerpack kit. How do I best locate where to mount these on the frame rail?

Dumb Question #3:

The track bar bracket bolts won't go through the crossmember without hitting the oil pan. (two of three won't.) I need to lift the engine about 2 1/2" to get them in. I see two bolts holding the transmission in, and two on each side for motor mounts. The turbo is off the truck and downpipe is out of the way.

What is the best way to raise the engine (I don't have a hoist) to get these in?

Cheers!

Addicted4

Reaction score
Just put the bolts going thru the front of the crossmember and the nut on the backside.

The frame should have holes for the sway bar in the frame behind the shock mounts.

Military wrap goes in the front, big eye let in the back. I'll attach a photo of when I took out my d60

Addicted4

Reaction score
Picture of the axle unbolted and rolled out

Attachments

• IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 85

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Replies are in Red

Wow. I searched my thread history and this Dana 60 swap has been almost a 4 year project. Part time, of course. It also morphed into a turbocharger upgrade, intercooler install, HID headlight conversion, Plasti-Dip-almost-everything, powder coat anything else metal, that kind of project.

Anyhow. Little bit confused on some stuff.

Dumb Question #1:

I'm using OBS F-350 springs with a Sky RSK. Which end does the military wrap go on? (It appears with the spring under the truck that it should be in the back but....)

Military wrap goes on the front. The end where it is solid, non-shackle side.

Dumb Question #2:

I've decided to keep the sway bar. I've got the Banks mounts for the 460 Powerpack kit. How do I best locate where to mount these on the frame rail?

Some trucks have the holes already in the frame while others don't. If they don't, like mine...I did the following. I installed the sway bar on the axle along with the sway link ends and frame brackets mounted to the sway bar. I held the sway bar up and marked my holes

Dumb Question #3:

The track bar bracket bolts won't go through the crossmember without hitting the oil pan. (two of three won't.) I need to lift the engine about 2 1/2" to get them in. I see two bolts holding the transmission in, and two on each side for motor mounts. The turbo is off the truck and downpipe is out of the way.

What is the best way to raise the engine (I don't have a hoist) to get these in?

You don't need to lift the engine to install the trac bar bracket. You are correct that the bolts hit the oil pan when you are getting rid of the D50 crap. Just the cut the bolts.

Cheers!

You're going to need an adjustable track bar.

Attachments

• P5230112.JPG
    P5230112.JPG
    648.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

cbuttre835

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

The nylock nuts are thick and one just barely clears the oil pan. Would prefer to have the thinner bolt head next to the oil pan.

Other option is to use a standard nut and red loctite I suppose?

gnxtc2, your picture is worth ten-thousand words, as far as spotting them sway bar brackets goes. I had read that there was no hole for them in the supercab trucks but either way I got what I need. Thanks man.

cbuttre835

Reaction score
use a toplock or stover nut.

I am fortunate to have access to a real old-school hardware store that has EVERYTHING. They even fix window screens and have stovepipe.

Stover nuts FTW. Now that I recall, that's what was holding the stupid TTB center pivot brackets on. Should have remembered that :fustrate:

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online