Lift kit

Reaction score
I had a pair fail in a month. The warranty process was painless and quick, and the replacements have lasted a couple years so far...

Its not how the horse falls, its how it gets up again imo.

The problem is time. I've only put 12k miles in 2 years. I don't think anyone is going to warranty a 2yr old shock.

I'm not here to bash the product, I'm just giving my real-world experience.

sootie

Reaction score
The problem is time. I've only put 12k miles in 2 years. I don't think anyone is going to warranty a 2yr old shock.

I'm not here to bash the product, I'm just giving my real-world experience.
Fair enough. Not every part is perfect from any company. As far as ride quality goes, you can't beat Carli valved shocks. That's what the discussion was about mainly...

oli6578

Reaction score
My 4.5 alpha PMF kit with Icon spring, PMF 3link ride way better than stock. About to ditch rear blocks and go with PMF Deaver springs for the rear. That should help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spatel23

Reaction score
I'm waiting on deaver to send me a set of new leaf springs for my truck also.
I think/have been told they will make the biggest noticeable difference.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Icon, PMF & King here. Working great.
20170619_140953_1497896649921_resizedLarge.jpg

Betarocker

Reaction score
Have a blank check if you are trying to make the ride nice.. i spent the money on icon springs, fox shocks,traction bars and truck rides terrible, stiffer than factory lol you need a 3 link at the very minimum i believe for the ride

you just didnt buy the right stuff thats all...

Buying the correct components is critical in having a well performing suspension system. Some kits address elements, but to have the best riding while minimizing expense will require some mixing and matching.

A blank cheque might not be needed, but you will need to have substantial (for some) funds in the bank or under a mattress to get something really good.

Chris129

Reaction score
I am in the market for a 4" lift kit for my 12' f250. The kits I am looking at are the BDS 4 link 4" kit or the 4" super lift king coilover kit. Now my question is are coilers worth it for a daily driven truck that tows a 4-6K trailer everyday for work or are they just of show? I always thought coilovers where designed for off road use, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now to go over it again my truck is daily driven and used to tow my enclosed trailer everyday which weighs 4-6K. I am looking to better my ride quality my 2.5" ready lift and 5100 Bilstein shocks are just not quite cutting it. I am open to any suggestions, doesn't have to be the two companies I suggested. Thanks in advanced Guys!

Betarocker

Reaction score
I am in the market for a 4" lift kit for my 12' f250. The kits I am looking at are the BDS 4 link 4" kit or the 4" super lift king coilover kit. Now my question is are coilers worth it for a daily driven truck that tows a 4-6K trailer everyday for work or are they just of show? I always thought coilovers where designed for off road use, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now to go over it again my truck is daily driven and used to tow my enclosed trailer everyday which weighs 4-6K. I am looking to better my ride quality my 2.5" ready lift and 5100 Bilstein shocks are just not quite cutting it. I am open to any suggestions, doesn't have to be the two companies I suggested. Thanks in advanced Guys!

Compare a coilover strut to a regular spring/shock combo for equal sized lift and you'll notice that the coilover spring is about 4" shorter. So the truck is lift but with no increase of travel. There is a degree of adjustment but I wouldn't bother with one until approaching 10" of lift.

The 4 links (actually 5 link because they still require a panhard bar) available as bolt on kits are for show as well. Some allow for greater flex than OEM radius arms, but the design and execution has zero similarities to rockcrawlers or KoH buggies. A true 4 link uses triangulated link arms and are not in plane with each other when view from the side. The bolt-on versions utilize parallel link arms ( or close to) and the design leads to brake dive, which also leads to higher body roll when slowing for corners. The videos below explain, as do more of them in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTWZgVx8Y6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzayUxQCWaY

If you want the adjustability of 4 link, but the dive control of radius arms (which these trucks are designed for), One Up Offroad makes Adjustable Coil Levelers, and when complimented to their Adjustable Link Arms will provide enhanced articulation, adjustable caster, adjustable fore/aft axle positioning.

Chris129

Reaction score
Compare a coilover strut to a regular spring/shock combo for equal sized lift and you'll notice that the coilover spring is about 4" shorter. So the truck is lift but with no increase of travel. There is a degree of adjustment but I wouldn't bother with one until approaching 10" of lift.

The 4 links (actually 5 link because they still require a panhard bar) available as bolt on kits are for show as well. Some allow for greater flex than OEM radius arms, but the design and execution has zero similarities to rockcrawlers or KoH buggies. A true 4 link uses triangulated link arms and are not in plane with each other when view from the side. The bolt-on versions utilize parallel link arms ( or close to) and the design leads to brake dive, which also leads to higher body roll when slowing for corners. The videos below explain, as do more of them in the series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTWZgVx8Y6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzayUxQCWaY

If you want the adjustability of 4 link, but the dive control of radius arms (which these trucks are designed for), One Up Offroad makes Adjustable Coil Levelers, and when complimented to their Adjustable Link Arms will provide enhanced articulation, adjustable caster, adjustable fore/aft axle positioning.

So just to clarify, what you are saying is that I wouldn't notice any benefit from the coilers unless I have at least 10" of lift? As far as the 4 link would you suggest a radius arm over the 4 link or a 3 link kit like PMF sells? Thank you for your feedback!

Betarocker

Reaction score
So just to clarify, what you are saying is that I wouldn't notice any benefit from the coilers unless I have at least 10" of lift? As far as the 4 link would you suggest a radius arm over the 4 link or a 3 link kit like PMF sells? Thank you for your feedback!

My point is a 4" coilover would have the same travel as stock, a 7" coilover would have the same travel as a 4" conventional orientation. A 7" lift can be stretched out to 9" with the addition of spacers or Adjustable Coil Levelers, but by then geometries change to the point where performance and ride will be compromised and a lift designed for that height would be the most prudent way to go.

OUO's Adjustable Link Arms are a radius arm, but with adjustability. PMF's 3 link is a copy of OUO's design with a few changes.

Chris129

Reaction score
My point is a 4" coilover would have the same travel as stock, a 7" coilover would have the same travel as a 4" conventional orientation. A 7" lift can be stretched out to 9" with the addition of spacers or Adjustable Coil Levelers, but by then geometries change to the point where performance and ride will be compromised and a lift designed for that height would be the most prudent way to go.

OUO's Adjustable Link Arms are a radius arm, but with adjustability. PMF's 3 link is a copy of OUO's design with a few changes.

Excellent thank you for the advice. As much as I would love to have a set of coilovers, it sounds like its not worth the extra money. I will be going over my coil spring and shock options.

Powderhound

Reaction score
Couldn’t be happier with the cognito 4” fox shock lift kit.
For the $, I found it to be a bargain.

Attachments

• D5E4DB1B-A1AB-4180-8E2B-22DCF38A3F58.jpg
    D5E4DB1B-A1AB-4180-8E2B-22DCF38A3F58.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 97

Chris129

Reaction score
Couldn’t be happier with the cognito 4” fox shock lift kit.
For the $, I found it to be a bargain.

I just looked them up seems like a nice kit, can you post some pics of your truck with the lift? also what size wheel and tire combo did you run on your truck?

Latest posts

Members online