Re-Using Cracked heads?

Black AOD

Reaction score
Promaxx heads are Chinese Castings from my understanding so I wouldn't touch them ever.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Promaxx heads are Chinese Castings from my understanding so I wouldn't touch them ever.
Yes they are Chinese castings. According to Kill Diesel, they have been working directly with Promaxx to improve the casting for the problem areas. Then they go through them even more to improve on the improvements.

Either way, they're still aftermarket Chinese castings to begin with. This is concerning. Equally concerning with OEM heads still being cracked.

Reaction score
A lot has changed. In summary, Kill Devil has done a lot of work with Promax to improve the casting; most notably a thicker deck surface.

The heads offered through Kill Devil are not built by Promaxx. Kill Devil orders the castings to their specs and then builds the heads from there. Using all top quality jewelry.

Lastly, from my understanding, there is not a single cracked Kill Devil version to date.

Black AOD

Reaction score
A lot has changed. In summary, Kill Devil has done a lot of work with Promax to improve the casting; most notably a thicker deck surface.

The heads offered through Kill Devil are not built by Promaxx. Kill Devil orders the castings to their specs and then builds the heads from there. Using all top quality jewelry.

Lastly, from my understanding, there is not a single cracked Kill Devil version to date.

Wow. I'm going to call them right now. This is really good news if this is true.

SoGrand

Reaction score
Anyone want to PM me there phone number? I am looking for a set of 6.0L heads also for my kids truck.
Thanks

ford rules

Reaction score
Just throwing out some more first hand experience with those cracks.

I do quite a few 6.0/6.4 stud jobs on the said, every set ive taken off have cracks, some worse than others. Most time the shop I take them to install all pressed in seats to. Most times that cuts the cracks out.

So far I have had no issues with this probably 10 trucks so far, and the machinist does this to every 6.0/6.4 head he gets and said he has not had one come back.

Also another option is to have them pressure tested and just reuse them, ive done this on two trucks so far. The customer choose not to have the seats fixed. So we just cut them flat and reinstalled. No issues with those trucks either, at least not yet they both have about 20,000 on them now.

Reaction score
Aluminum heads starting testing... Maybe theirs hope for this dinosaur...

https://www.facebook.com/KillDevilDiesel/photos/pcb.405485483201648/405484989868364/?type=3&theater

22308730_405484989868364_4811183397156296740_n.jpg

cbrown

Reaction score
Bumping this back up, I've got a set of 6.4 heads at the shop now and one hole on one head has a crack extending down into the seat area. What are everyone's thoughts on that? Junk?

Reaction score
Bumping this back up, I've got a set of 6.4 heads at the shop now and one hole on one head has a crack extending down into the seat area. What are everyone's thoughts on that? Junk?

I think the sentiments on cracked heads are pretty much covered above: Pressure test, and if they pass, run at your own risk.

Most conservative folks fix it, and the risk takers leave it. Personally, I would fix it. The price on heads has come down significantly in the last year. 2 years ago, I paid $4500 for a set of heads. That same set today can be had for ~$2000. Further, there's several shops on the market who now know how to build you a good head.

Last edited:

cbrown

Reaction score
Most everything I've read doesn't mention anything about cracks extending down into the seat area. My concern is that it would compromise the ability on the seat to stay in the head. Just wondering if anyone had experienced it. I'll likely put new heads on, just asking for other folks experience.

Reaction score
Most everything I've read doesn't mention anything about cracks extending down into the seat area. My concern is that it would compromise the ability on the seat to stay in the head. Just wondering if anyone had experienced it. I'll likely put new heads on, just asking for other folks experience.

Hey man, your previous question was not very clear. I'm just trying to help.

Are these OEM heads? Only reman heads have pressed-in seats. All original heads have integral seats: the seat is actually part of the head casting. The seat itself is cut into the head casting. Therefore, the seat isn't going to fall out like it would an a pressed-in type seat.

If you have a reman head, that has already had pressed-in seats installed, you can just change the individual seat. If the head is cracked around the seat area, it would most likely not be a candidate for repair.

cbrown

Reaction score
Yes, they are oem heads, as far as I know. Was having the heads worked over for a build and was planning on put hardened seats.

Reaction score
Yes, they are oem heads, as far as I know. Was having the heads worked over for a build and was planning on put hardened seats.

Ah, ok. I understand your situation, now. IMO, I don't see the benefit in dumping more money into an already compromised head.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.