Mahle Lifter Failure?

Reaction score
I think it's worth distinguishing that this lifter is clear out of the bore.

iirc, the plastic trays surround the lifter in such a way that in order for the lifter to come out, the tray would have to fail.

In other cases we've seen trays come loose and lifters turn in the bore, or the needle bearings fail on the roller, causing the roller to seize and skid on the cam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
lifters/cam is the biggest failure and most common failure among 6.0s that are miled/houred out.

sooner or later, its going to happen. thats just that.

Reaction score
I believe what he meant is that he was able to remove the exhaust lifter, it didn't come out on its own. The intake lifter is stuck in the block.

yep, you're right. The sentence, coupled with the picture of the borescope showing the lifter out of the bore, led me to understand that a lifter had come out of the bore.

Sorry for the confusion.

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
lifters/cam is the biggest failure and most common failure among 6.0s that are miled/houred out.

sooner or later, its going to happen. thats just that.

Agreed, most of the 6.0 and 6.4 failures I've seen were caused by lifter failure.
Whenever I have heads off I always reccomend replacing lifters on higher mileage/ hour engines just for that reason.

gwunter

Reaction score
Probably a rhetorical question, but why isnt there more afteemarket options to replace these factory lifters that fail? I dont think i only read about old lifters failing, but even new ones. Is there parts tgat remove the factory style lifter? I thought there may have been one company, but the price was rediculous; not saying it wasnt worth it.

ford rules

Reaction score
A close friend of mine that I work with rebuilt his 6.0 right about a year ago. Used mahle lifters and had one fail at about 5,000 miles.

One ear that holds the roller broke and took out the motor again.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
pretty sure those are going to be the hylift johnson ones that everybody is rebranding as their own hd type....

those are the ones I put in my truck, and like I said, rumor was a lifter failed 15k after i sold it

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
problem is, is what comes first, cam failure, or lifter failure? Cause I have pulled engines apart ith 55k-225k with lifter failure(OE engines) and have seen the lobe flat with minor damage to roller, bearings intact, I have seen rollers gone and cam slightly scored, and so on and so forth.

no matter what it comes down to a lube issue. 75% of my lifter failures were in high idled units. which we know these engines have very low, low side oil psi when idling... factor in that fleets are STILL using MILES vs HOURS, so you get a oil change that has 600+ hours and 5k miles on it.... YIKES...

now, of ocurse their have been the cream pie trucks that suffered from this failure.

best example I have is my old truck. I knew the customer had religously maintained this truck. It was an 04, never idled, it worked its entire life. 194k. oil 5k, factory oil filters, and still lost 2 lobes on and the cam.

since I knew the guy maintained it I picked it up thinking it would only need lifters, it didnt even have the slightest tick, no power balance issues, nothing. just some metal in filter(which is how i condemn these). I bought it thinking a quick set of lifters and some gaskets. NOPE

DuWe6q1.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
xYAtcckh.jpg

SoYh3Fmh.jpg

keep in mind, these are the OE lifters I pulled out @ 194k.

I havent seen the failure from the new HD lifters I put in the truck.

cbrown

Reaction score
So is there anything out there better than the others? The side action lifter is supposed to address the poor oiling issues correct? Or are those basically the same as everybody's HD lifter?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.