Sterling 10.5, pinion oil slinger?

turboTwang6

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in the process of doing pinion bearings on a sterling 10.5 on my 06. Is there supposed to be an oil slinger between the front pinion bearing and the pinion seal? It seems that most of the youtube vids and detailed threads about doing bearings in the sterling axle talk about a pinion oil slinger. When I took it apart there was not one, and I don't seem to see one in the install kit I got from east coast gear supply.

Thanks for any help.
Matt

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I am almost positive there is not one. I will have my buddy check the setup boxes tomorrow to confirm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

David N

Reaction score
My '02 10.5 had one when I rebuilt it. And I put it back, but you are correct, there wasn't one in my rebuild kit that I also got from East Coast.

turboTwang6

Reaction score
My '02 10.5 had one when I rebuilt it. And I put it back, but you are correct, there wasn't one in my rebuild kit that I also got from East Coast.

Did it look like a thick washer? Seems odd that my axle wouldn't have one unless someone has been in here before and forgot to put it in there. :shrug:

turboTwang6

Reaction score
Whelp, figured out that even though this is an 06 truck with a 10.5 axle, somebody has been in here before and the gear set is a 10.25 set. So now waiting on the proper inner pinion bearing, since that bearing for a 10.5 gear set/pinion is different than what was used in the 10.25. Had the pinion nut bottomed out and the bearings weren't even close to seating in their races.

And I believe 8WR_ZJ is correct, no slinger on the pinion shaft anywhere.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Poop forgot to say that we looked and we did not have a single slinger in our setup box for this axle.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Also it is fairly common to put the 10.25 gears in the 10.5 case. The 10.5 ring sets are much more expensive for some reason. There are enough of them in circulation where the price should be considerably less than what they are. Just an FYI. So are you getting new 10.25 bearings or getting new gearset for the 10.5?

turboTwang6

Reaction score
Also it is fairly common to put the 10.25 gears in the 10.5 case. The 10.5 ring sets are much more expensive for some reason. There are enough of them in circulation where the price should be considerably less than what they are. Just an FYI. So are you getting new 10.25 bearings or getting new gearset for the 10.5?

Yea I noticed most aftermarket gear sets are 10.25. Just wish I looked at it before ordering the bearing kit from ECGS. Oh well, ordered the correct inner pinion bearing/race, everything else is the same. I'd rather not go through the hassle of setting up new gears....lol

Latest posts

Members online