need some radiator(s) advice

RyanD

Reaction score
Guys,

2013 6.7 - motor/exhaust is all stock.

After a massive overheat a few weeks ago in the secondary system, I finally had time this past weekend to get under the truck with a flashlight and find the source of the leak. BOTH radiators are leaking from the driver's side corner. All other connections I could see/trace are fine, there were no obvious leaks from hoses, and both systems lose trace amounts of coolant over time. However, being the anal driver that I am, I would like the peace of mind of a system I don't have to top off once a week. To that end, the truck has 76K miles, so while I am in there, this is my plan:

Both radiators
Both ECT sensors (Forscan reports an out of range value on both)
Both thermostats (I assume both systems have thermostats)

My quandry is whether to replace both with OEM radiators or Mishimoto. To that end, the secondary radiator is easier to replace than the primary. So, I'd like to garner everyone's experience with the Mishimoto (or alternative) primary radiator, as that is the one I'd really like to be bulletproof for a long time. Also, while it is all apart, is there anything else I should look at replacing per routine maintenance?

Thanks guys, y'all are always a source of great information.

Smokun

Reaction score
Your temp sensor codes are from overheat. That’s normal. Oem is the best option I believe as well. Thermostats always a good idea after overheat. These trucks have the capacity to get big air pockets in them so be careful to make sure your cycle The heat and let the truck go through a couple heat cycles and top when cool accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RyanD

Reaction score
Thanks - sunrise hooked me up on both radiators, thermostats and new ECT sensors. Waiting for a cool weekend without obligations to install them all.

Smokun- can that code be cleared? I tried with Forscan and it persists.

Smokun

Reaction score
Thanks - sunrise hooked me up on both radiators, thermostats and new ECT sensors. Waiting for a cool weekend without obligations to install them all.

Yes that code should go away. On forescan you have to hit the button on the bottom just to the right where they look almost similar. If that code came up and did not clear that would mean it is unplugged or something went wrong with the clearing process because that will use a two or three trips detection logic. Meaning it has to see the problem more than once.

Smokun

Reaction score

Disconnecting both batteries for five minutes should also do it and if you disconnect both batteries and make sure both are disconnected then put positive to negative on both sides holding together for about a minute that will do a master reset on that vehicle as well. It will reset all adaptations. Make sure both batteries or disconnected before you loop the system

RyanD

Reaction score
So, the cool weekend with no obligations is upon us. I am making an event out of it to solicit help from friends - gonna do a big pork butt and get these suckers in. At this point, the trace loss from the secondary system has manifested into a daily 8" around spot. It's time.

I've been watching videos to get familiar with the procedure, and I have one last question, centered around the AC condenser. The mishimoto install video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZlbKb8hk30) shows them not unhooking the condenser, while this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPxJvWMSFLA) does around the 9:00 mark

My main question is, if somehow that system was purged from the service port, can I just run it to a shop a few days later for a recharge or is there something potentially dangerous with leaving it empty? We're hitting a point where I won't use AC for a few weeks, so I can live without it, and it looks to make the install significantly easier.

Thanks!
Ryan

F150orelse

Reaction score
So, the cool weekend with no obligations is upon us. I am making an event out of it to solicit help from friends - gonna do a big pork butt and get these suckers in. At this point, the trace loss from the secondary system has manifested into a daily 8" around spot. It's time.

I've been watching videos to get familiar with the procedure, and I have one last question, centered around the AC condenser. The mishimoto install video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZlbKb8hk30) shows them not unhooking the condenser, while this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPxJvWMSFLA) does around the 9:00 mark

My main question is, if somehow that system was purged from the service port, can I just run it to a shop a few days later for a recharge or is there something potentially dangerous with leaving it empty? We're hitting a point where I won't use AC for a few weeks, so I can live without it, and it looks to make the install significantly easier.

Thanks!
Ryan

Yes you can drive with the a/c system empty. The compressor wil not cycle with it not being charged. I didn’t remove my condenser when I replaced my radiator just kinda moved the condenser out of the way.

RyanD

Reaction score
Last question (I hope) - since I am changing both radiators out I am going to assume there is little benefit to first warming up the system with distilled water to flush it and then drain it all and add 50/50?

F150orelse

Reaction score
Last question (I hope) - since I am changing both radiators out I am going to assume there is little benefit to first warming up the system with distilled water to flush it and then drain it all and add 50/50?[/

Nothing wrong with that, you could use the Vc-9 cleaner as well.

JRLott

Reaction score
I’d get the AC recharged ASAP. No use letting the ambient air and humidity screw the system up.

RyanD

Reaction score
Got them in - man they drain slowly. Otherwise, very straightforward remove and replace. The ones I replaced must have been really bad, truck seems to run cooler now.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

RyanD

Reaction score
I left the condenser on the truck. It doesn’t move as much as it looks like it can - and it makes the hoses a little hard to get to, so if I do it again I’ll just purge the ac and remove it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.