6.0 PCM compatibility

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Would a PCM from a 2wd truck work on a 4wd truck each with the same year motor and transmission? 2006 2wd 6.0 auto trans works on a 2006 4wd 6.0 auto trans?

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Hhmm, tha's a good one Brian. I would imagine it should seeing as the the only difference would be the transfer case, but that's nothing more than a power diverter.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I know a manual PCM is different and would need to be flashed. I wasn't told anything about 2wd or 4wd versions. I know some of this is software related and not really the hardware.

I'm going to get with PHP to set up a second set of PCM/FICM to run. I got two PCMs off Ebay. One has the VIN of the old truck..it was 2wd. I got a 4wd so I wanted to have a pop quiz for all the honor class kids here.

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
It will work, its all in the programming. The pcm does not know if the truck is 2 or 4wd until you tell it so. I have swapped a pcm from a 2wd into a 4wd and after entering the as-build date into the 2wd donor pcm everything workd fine.

Jeremy

Reaction score
It will work. The only issue you may run into is abs or 4 wheel ABS. I've found most XL 2x4 trucks are just ABS, not 4 wheel ABS. It runs and drive fine but the brake pedal is alittle softer...most people won't notice the difference.

One other thing I found...and this is on 05's only is....If your truck does not have a MAF and the donor truck did you'll get a SES light for it.

Otherwise run it.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I'm certain the donor truck is a King Ranch model. So it should have the 4ABS installed. Still no clear answer so I may just try to run it and see what happens.

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
I can give you a very clear answer. If you swap PCM's without any programming it will work but with many DTC's stored and mosty likey a CEL. If you can use the Ford IDS to correctly install the module using the programmable module installing procedure there will be no DTC's or CEL. You can also swap modules and then flash it will a custom tune for the strategy of the doner PCM and all with be good. ABS is a none issue. As a side note, if this were a Excursion you would have to reprogram the PATS keys for this kind of swap.

Jeremy

Reaction score
ABS is an issue. If you look at the description of each of the .Hex codes it breaks down the differences in each one of them. Things like 4 wheel ABS and 49 state, or 50 state emmissions are listed next to each one. The PCM must interface with the ABS module somehow to be broke out in the hex code descriptions.

Oh and you can run a truck PCM in a excursion, the Theft light will flash for ~2 minutes and go out. It starts and runs fine. Of course it won't work using a Excursion PCM in a truck though.

Since the OP has a King ranch PCM I'm sure it had ABS so you should be golden.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
What would it take to get the pats from a excursion? Just curious since it was mentioned and seems to be a fairly good theft prevenative. Sorry for the derail

Latest posts

Members online