Recommended Injectors for Garrett 38R Turbo

Enoch

Reaction score
Looking to see what others are running or recommendations. Going up hill the truck kind of chugs or sputters like it's not getting enough fuel.

I have the 38r with 4" turbo back exhaust, an aftermarket air filter and the SCT tuner. No matter what setting it's on there really isn't much difference in performance.
I was told by one mechanic that he doesn't recommend the 38r unless the customer is planning on bigger injectors.

Truck has 326k miles with what I believe to be factory injectors, I bought the truck with 208k miles and am the 2nd owner.

I'm just looking for a daily driver that will get out in traffic or on the highway on ramp when needed.
As of now at full throttle barely pulling 20lbs of boost

I appreciate any help.

Last edited:

ghohouston

Reaction score
You need to check fuel pressure, and see what your icp is doing. If this is an auto truck, when it kicks into o.d., somewhere around 50-55 iirc, does the issue present itself? Stock injectors will run a 38r just fine. You can go bigger of course, if you're looking for more power. I had 238/100's and a 38r, and it was super fun. Turbo lag was non existent. Also check for boost and exhaust leaks pre turbo. The injectors, if they are original, are surely worn out though.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
as mentioned above and along with with a gazillion threads. also, any size injector can be ran with a 38r as long as tuning is on point with what you are wanting to do with the truck.. you can run a stock turbo the same way.. put a billet wheel in a stocker and it wakes it up a lot.. so it all really depends on your end goal..

first and foremost, choose a injector builder and a tuner who are closest to you!!!!!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sounds like you have fuel presssure issues more than injector isssues.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Or tired fuel pump. Or 326k worth of crap packed into lines, bowls, tanks etc...

Enoch

Reaction score
You need to check fuel pressure, and see what your icp is doing. If this is an auto truck, when it kicks into o.d., somewhere around 50-55 iirc, does the issue present itself?

Yes, when it kicks into over drive is when it mostly happens.

Bet you have fuel pickup foot/tube issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not to sound naive but how do I check for this or fix this?

I appreciate everyone's input and help, thanks!

DieselJpower

Reaction score

Drop the fuel tank, Hutch & harpoon mods bare minimum. Start researching building a fuel system, or buying someones kit. I got a lead on a dual stock pump kit if you're interested. That would be the route I went if I were to do it again.

ToMang07

Reaction score

Drop the fuel tank, Hutch & harpoon mods bare minimum. Start researching building a fuel system, or buying someones kit. I got a lead on a dual stock pump kit if you're interested. That would be the route I went if I were to do it again.

Also filling up the tank all the way usually eliminates it as well, usually it won't show symptoms until 1/2 tank or so.

If you do have to drop the tank, I strongly suggest doing the hutch/harpoon mods.

Enoch

Reaction score
Finally did the hutch and harpoon mod, didn't really change anything. Shop I took it to said it wasn't a weak fuel pump, not exactly sure how he knew.
Was also told with the mileage it has that the motor is worn out and going with bigger injectors would cause more issues. I disagree that the motor is worn out.

Fuel tank actually looked really clean.

And I very rarely run the truck under half a tank, usually once it gets near 1/2 a tank I stop and fill up.

Last edited:

Enoch

Reaction score
You need to check fuel pressure, and see what your icp is doing. If this is an auto truck, when it kicks into o.d., somewhere around 50-55 iirc, does the issue present itself?.

Yes, this is exactly what it's doing, unless going up hill, then it doesn't matter. The steeper the hill the more it chugs.

dmd

Reaction score
I had something similar and the silicone boots in the engine valley were loose, they
would loose boost and cause a strange shake when the engine was under
a larger load.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.