Moving from Nitto Terra 325/50R22 to Ridge 37x12.50R22

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Little history, had all my stuff on a '12 that wifey got in an accident with and I traded for the same truck, but in a '16. Still have to put all my goodies back on the '16.

My tires are getting thin and I need to get new ones. I want to make a change to the Nitto Ridge Grappler 37". I think the 37" will fill the wheel well better and the higher load capacity should help with towing heavy and combating sway. Plus they'll look cool. :)

Discount Tire won't even install the Terras anymore b/c they are not up to truck's capacity (they have a new policy), so I have to go to some offbrand place if I were going to stick w/ the Terra. I've never had any trouble with them and been very happy otherwise. Also, I've been offered a job towing RVs around the country and I don't think my tires will pass as is - a couple of them are down to the wear bars on the outer lugs. I'm now going to have to pass a DOT inspection so weight limit may also be an issue for them.

The Terra Grapplers are 60psi tires w/ a max load of 3305lbs
The Ridge Grappler is an 80psi tire w/ a max load of 3860lbs

The Terra's are 34.84 tall and 13.23 wide.
The Ridge's are 36.77 tall and 12.52 wide.

I'm running them on Ultra 22x10 wheels w/ a +10 offset.

Icon Leveling kit.

So, from the truck's perspective the Ridge's will be a little less than an inch taller (radius) and 3/4" narrower. I think this will still clear.

Only place it's tight is when I turn to full lock, the outside edge of the tire almost contacts the fender. On my '12 it rubbed the mudflap a little.

I'm thinking I can loosen the cab mounts, shift the cab back as far as it'll go and that'll give me the clearance I need.

Front bumper is my custom SuperArmor, so no clearance issues there.

What's the opinion, will they will clear?

What can I do to solve the speedo? I have forscan, will it bump a little to at least make it close? or is it pretty much maxed out w/ the stockers (35")?

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

Jomax

Reaction score
If you plan on towing. I'd drop back down to stockish size tires. When hauling, that .25 MPG increase will help in making you money. Also keep the wear and tear down. My 2cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Not sure why, but there's a huge gap in the load rating of the 35" tire. It's only good for 3195lbs. That's less than the terra.

It's either the 37" or I have to go to another brand.

sootie

Reaction score
If it was me, I would do Toyo a/t. Much stronger sidewall and superior tread life.

And closer to stock size would be cheaper to replace and ride better.

Buck1

Reaction score
I run the Toyo RTs on the back of my dually in 37s and have approx 34k miles and am tickled with the wear and stability they provide. The do sing a little, but I am really pleased. I expect to get 50k or better out of then. As for size, have to agree with Jomax shorter will make you more money, but definitely don't look as cool. I bought the RTs right before the Ridge grapplers were available.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NCSU dirt man

Reaction score
i have the 35x12.5R20 ridge grapplers. running them with approximately 65psi in them and have about 12-14k miles on them. so far they have been great tires as far as handling and towing but the tread wear isn't that great in my mind (maybe 60% or so tread left all around even after rotating every oil change). my older trail grapplers and toyo m/t's wore just as good if not better in my mind but maybe they started out with more/deeper tread? but besides the tread wear i've been happy

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
If you plan on towing. I'd drop back down to stockish size tires. When hauling, that .25 MPG increase will help in making you money. Also keep the wear and tear down. My 2cents.

If it was me, I would do Toyo a/t. Much stronger sidewall and superior tread life.

THIS, why would you run 37s while hot shotting? Makes no financial sense

Yellow1000

Reaction score
Stock wheels and tires would be a better choice in many aspects as far as functionality.

ckrueg

Reaction score
The 295 65 r20 toyo at2 have a rating of 4k per tire if you want higher load

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JRLott

Reaction score
The 295 65 r20 toyo at2 have a rating of 4k per tire if you want higher load

This. The Ridge Graplers are over 4K. Likely the Michelin Defender LTX M/S is as well. Better also confirm if the RV company will allow you to haul on aftermarket anything. Many stipulate factory suspension, max bed height, and a few other things.

Wayne

Reaction score
It all boils down to sidewall height. The taller the sidewall, the better strength and ride quality you can get. I just ordered a set of ridge grapplers for my excursion, as well as new wheels. size is 35'12.50R18, and 18x9. load rating on the tires is F ply, and 3970# capacity. If you drop to an 18, tire and wheel, prices drop dramatically, and everything is much more practical. Not only that, but you can fill the wheel well properly with those flares. I think I was about $2300 delivered for the set. Wheels aren't the most popular, but I like them; black Fuel Cleavers. If you're considering selling the wheels you have now to do this, you'll be in an even better financial position.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Ordered them, I'm down to 7/32 on mine and am due. Going to get one more 1kmi run out of them next weekend, then new ones Monday and off to hauling. I think they'll be fine, but we will see.

None of the hauling companies have any stipulation on tires/wheels/suspension or any such thing. Lots of other requirements, but not that.

It's really only 1" taller than stock anyway. I can't imagine they'll beef about 1".

08Monster

Reaction score
You ask for advice constantly and than do the exact opposite of what everyone said. Why even ask us? Just do it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WHY NOT

Reaction score
My 35x13.50 Ridge Grapplers are like 3750lbs per tire, pretty much the reason why I chose them is the weight rating. Turns out they are a great tire as well. I am very happy with them. I run 37's on stock wheels in the winter you really do notice the lack of power and it takes more pedal to stop.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
You will want at least 3.73 gears with those size tires. If it was at the shop and I new you were going to do lots of towing I would recommend 4.10. What gears do you have currently? 3.55 or 3.31?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Brian22

Reaction score
I would be running stock wheels/tires with stock suspension height if you are going to be hot shotting on a regular basis. Less weight, rolling resistance, wind drag. That front bumper of yours will also make a big dent in your mpg's. I lost a solid 1-1.5 mpg with my Ranch Hand

Brian22

Reaction score
Damn from only a bumper ?

Yup. 300 lb full front bumper with grill guard. But one deer strike will cost alot more than a 1mpg loss. Plus people don't seem to drive as stupidly around me ever since I put the bumper on there.

O&G

Reaction score

Toyo & Nitto are basically the same company, they use the same rubber. Nitto is their American arm. I have a good friend who had them as a sponsor during his drag racing days.

Latest posts

Members online