Suggestions on how to proceed upgrading my 7.3L

khumpert

Reaction score
New member here, hope I don't butcher it too bad. I went to my old forum and noticed there wasn't much activity in the 7.3 section anymore, so I thought I would try here. I've taken about a 3 year hiatus from working on my 1997 7.3L, but I am wanting to pickup where I left off. The main goal I am after is to give my pickup more power but by not sacrificing RELIABILITY. When I push the pedal, I want to get up and go, not just make a lot of noise and get there slowly. Horsepower numbers are way less important to me than reliability is. I've never had an issue with this pickup and would like to keep it this way. I would like yall's opinion on what steps to take and in what order to keep from blowing my pickup up.

1997 Powerstroke 7.3L 4x4
136,000 miles
E40D
3.73 gears

Mods:
Rebuilt transmission
-BTS valve body
-Sun Coast heavy duty rebuild kit.
-Tru-cool transmission cooler
-ATS deep trans pan
-Billet triple disc torque converter (I think BD brand. cant remember for sure)

3" downpipe.

What I had in mind and the order in which to do it
1)Gauges with boost, pyro, and trans
2)Banks intercooler
3)Cold air intake
4)EBPV del
5)Upgrade turbo (cant decide to go new or rebuild stock with wicked wheel, and 1.0 housing)
6)HPOP
7)E-Fuel
8)Stage 1 injectors
9) TS 6 pos chip with TW tunes (may be better tunes out now)

What are yall's opinion? Am I putting the cart before the horse on any of this, or would you do things in a different order? Thanks for yalls help.

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
I think you got a great list of mods but you could pretty much have mods 2, 3, 4, and 5 done if you go t4 mount and turbo. It might cost a little more up front but you cant beat the turbo options and having bellowed up pipes is a must for optimum performance. Just my thoughts.

rusty1161

Reaction score
If you're purchasing he Banks IC new, you may as well go the T4 route. That gets you new up pipes, mount, IC pipes and down pipe, then all you need are the IC, boots and clamps. You already want a new turbo, the S300 SXE line is hard to beat.

Price it out, the T4 route won't be out line. Also, companies like Irate have Black Friday deals coming up at Thanksgiving time. A good opportunity to save some $$$$.

Rusty

Latest posts

Members online