low speed growl feel in drove seat

Decker

Reaction score
I'm getting a low speed growl that I can't seem to find. At like 15-20 mph I get a humming growl from rear end that I can feel in my seat. If I speed up or slow down it goes away. I thought it was hanger bearing since the boot was worn so I replaced it. While off i chrck all u joints. They all seem fine none are ceased and freely moving. Did not fix it. Next I check the rear diff. Pull cover all look fine not any serious wear. Fill back up with Mobil 1 75-140. Did not fix it. Next I thought I check my brakes pulled the tires seen I had a bad seal so I replaced it and all the bearing were fine. Put back together. Still haven't fixed it. Now I don't know what else to check? Driveshaft out of balance maybe? Its been doing this for about 2 weeks. Any help would be appreciated.

Decker

Reaction score
check the preload on the pinion crush sleeve.

I'll have to check that!
But if preload was off wouldn't it whine?
This is only at 15-20 mph sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt. More like a growl and vibration in seat.

Decker

Reaction score
Its not something stupid like your exhaust grounding out on something is it?

Nope I had that happen once made sure I fixed that. This a straight growl wum wum wum at like 18 mph and only at around that speed slow down or speed up nothing. I feel it in my seat. Can't hear it outside but inside the cab its driving me insane

Decker

Reaction score
Notice today at about 75 mph I'm getting a whirring rotational sound. Doesn't get louder as I slow down or increase speed. I don't think I ever notice it before over the sound of my tires. I had to turn my radio off to hear it. But this is leading me to believe it may be a bad ring and pinions but not 100% yet.

Bad_company

Reaction score
is the truck lifted? could it be pinion angle? i know that its usually at take off but might be something to check?

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Did you take pics of the R&P when you cleaned it? Did you check the backlash? How many miles on the truck? Did you remove the entire driveshaft form the truck even the front small shaft? Is this a 4x4 if so check t case output play and check the fluid. Are the front hubs locked position or seized up?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Decker

Reaction score
I didn't see any damage to the drive shaft or.weights missing.

When I pulled to do the carrier bearing all the u joints moved freely.

Also truck is not lifted stock height with 33s

Decker

Reaction score
Did you take pics of the R&P when you cleaned it? Did you check the backlash? How many miles on the truck? Did you remove the entire driveshaft form the truck even the front small shaft? Is this a 4x4 if so check t case output play and check the fluid. Are the front hubs locked position or seized up?

No I didn't but I should have. The ring had some shine on it where the pinion what connecting but no gouges or grooves.
I didn't check backlash. Truck has 297k miles on it. I did completely remove the rear shaft did not remove the front.
It is 4x4 and I will check that when I get back home this weekend. Front hubs are not locked and are free.

Decker

Reaction score
Passenger side front hub new last winter. Havent. heck driver front
Passenger rear bearing all good. Again haven't check rear

Decker

Reaction score
Nope, No noise right or left I don't think its a front hub. When it makes that growl I I can feel it in my seat rear end.

Bad_company

Reaction score
gotcha just trying to rule out the easy stuff... sorry man... sounds like its above my paygrade lol.

Decker

Reaction score
After all the checking I just wanted to update that I ended up figuring out the issue. It wasn't the rear end at all. Turn out to be I somehow lost a bolt to the front caliper and it was dragging against the rotor. I had some nice grooves into the caliper.but new bolts and all fixed

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Well at least you found out what the issue was. Glad you got it fixed.

Latest posts

Members online