P20BA

ZCherry27

Reaction score
First let me apologize for only coming to you guys with problems and not much helpful information yet,but I'm still learning about the 6.7.

With that said I know what the code means and all that, but being at 86k I know I'm out of emissions warranty but still have the motor warranty. Does it make sense to replace the DEF tank heater only to turn around in 14k miles to put truck on a diet? Living in Wisconsin and getting close to the time of year where it's starting to consistently drop below 32 degrees at night should I be worried about it, or not worry to much until temps starting getting closer to 12? I thought i read somewhere that's when the DEF starts to freeze. Also, for those of you that replaced it how hard was it? If I had more faith in my nearest dealer I might just bite the bullet and let them do it but after getting the truck back with a loose oil filter after last oil change I have lost all confidence in them. Sorry for the ramble just trying to get a game plan set up.

sootie

Reaction score
First let me apologize for only coming to you guys with problems and not much helpful information yet,but I'm still learning about the 6.7.

With that said I know what the code means and all that, but being at 86k I know I'm out of emissions warranty but still have the motor warranty. Does it make sense to replace the DEF tank heater only to turn around in 14k miles to put truck on a diet? Living in Wisconsin and getting close to the time of year where it's starting to consistently drop below 32 degrees at night should I be worried about it, or not worry to much until temps starting getting closer to 12? I thought i read somewhere that's when the DEF starts to freeze. Also, for those of you that replaced it how hard was it? If I had more faith in my nearest dealer I might just bite the bullet and let them do it but after getting the truck back with a loose oil filter after last oil change I have lost all confidence in them. Sorry for the ramble just trying to get a game plan set up.

Loose oil filters are common on 6.7s fwiw. I have to CRANK mine to get them not to drip.

The DEF heater is an issue because it sets a CEL and can put the truck in limp mode eventually. There are two ways to change the pump/heater assembly; drop the tank or remove the box. I opted for the box removal route as i can have it off in 20 mins. Personally, i would just deelet so its not an issue. I thankfully had a wreck i took the replacement parts from-the dealer wanted 1200 for it.

ZCherry27

Reaction score
thanks for the input sootie.

I think I'm just going to stop asking you guys about my problems right after they happen from now on. Twice now I've asked about something after clearing code and it has yet to come back. I don't recall seeing the check engine light on when I checked the codes though? If it was just a minor glitch in system and corrected itself right away would that be the reason light wasn't on while driving? Or is it one of those codes that once it happens light stays on until cleared?

Only reason I thought to check them is because of the bad taste the 6.0 left in my mouth so I check them more then I should.

jetskier

Reaction score
It'll probably come back. I just replaced mine and had that fault code for a few weeks. I clear it and it'd come back a fews or a week later. RockAuto has the heater part for $160 or so. Look up Dorman 904372

Latest posts

Members online