SD UVCH

79jasper

Reaction score
I've seen people mention going to the single plug UVCH on the obs, but no one has really done a write up that I could find.

So I have a few questions.

1. Can I keep my obs valve covers?
2. Can I swap the engine harness, vs just swapping the UVCH plugs? (A few of my glowplug pins are missing from the engine side of the harness anyways, and at least 3 outta 4 of the clips are broken off)

I'll probably think of more as we go along.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

ghohouston

Reaction score
Valve covers should be the same, iirc, the 94's and 95's had less bolts, but 96-97's should be the same as super duties. Yes you can run a sd engine harness.

Reaction score
The 94-95 "less bolts" thing was on the intake plenums. Valve covers should be the same (except later ones were double walled). Cheers!

79jasper

Reaction score
I have a blown up SD wiring diagram that I look at pin out/function/colors on, just haven't found a good obs one yet.

I say SD, but did they change to the single plug earlier?

Bugman

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the Super Duty engine harness either, but it may work. It is something you would need to check.

Everyone that I know that has done the swap has adapted the OBS glow plug/injector harness to the single plug.

79jasper

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the Super Duty engine harness either, but it may work. It is something you would need to check.

Everyone that I know that has done the swap has adapted the OBS glow plug/injector harness to the single plug.

Did they just change the pigtail?

m j

Reaction score
I was wondering about this today as well. is there an upside beyond the replacement plugs costing about the same $ except you get to buy 4 with the OBS instead of only 2.
it would move the connector out from under my s468

79jasper

Reaction score
Only downside I see is dealing with the plugs coming loose.
Which can be fixed in a few ways. The "50 cent mod" (I think that's what it's called) or the wedges.

Swaan

Reaction score
I'm doing this on my 97 at the end of the month. Another reason for doing this is the pins inside the plug for glow plugs are bigger on sd harness. Early obs had issues burning up plugs cuz too small pins. I just ordered new everything plus sd pigtails from riffraff. Gonna slice new plugs into stock harness.

Swaan

Reaction score
On a side note: my sister has a 2000 excursion 7.3 and it's got just over 300'000 miles and covers never been off. Original everything. That tells me sd harness is perty good!!

79jasper

Reaction score
On a side note: my sister has a 2000 excursion 7.3 and it's got just over 300'000 miles and covers never been off. Original everything. That tells me sd harness is perty good!!

Excursions also have a slightly different setup.

I think I found the way I'm going to do it.
Dorman 615-201.

Swaan

Reaction score
Excursions also have a slightly different setup.

I think I found the way I'm going to do it.
Dorman 615-201.

Think twice before you do the cheap Chinese dorman crap. Heard lots of negative reports over that stuff. This is one area you should stick to oem. Riffraff has some good pricing on the factory ford stuff.
Swamps even has some stuff on there website all about dorman harnesses.
Just a thought!

79jasper

Reaction score
Think twice before you do the cheap Chinese dorman crap. Heard lots of negative reports over that stuff. This is one area you should stick to oem. Riffraff has some good pricing on the factory ford stuff.
Swamps even has some stuff on there website all about dorman harnesses.
Just a thought!

I had heard that about the older harnesses, but heard the newer ones like these were better.
Were they wrong?

I look on RR when I get a chance.

79jasper

Reaction score
I looked on RiffRaff, they don't have the "one piece" kit? (Harness, gasket, and pigtail all in one)

I didn't find the info you spoke of on swamps.

Peroni

Reaction score
I did this a couple years ago. Wiring is pretty straight forward and really neatens things up on top of the engine.

I went with Alliant brand connectors, Motorcraft gaskets and UVCH. Purchased it all off Ebay at a fairly significant discount. Just need to shop around a bit.

Personally I would never use Dorman even if their quality improved. However I know of a few guys who are running their parts with no problems.

Swaan

Reaction score
I looked on RiffRaff, they don't have the "one piece" kit? (Harness, gasket, and pigtail all in one)

That's right they don't. Only dorman have those one piece kits. You have to buy everything separate on riffraff site if you want ford oem stuff

Swaan

Reaction score

There is a little blurb somewhere on swamps site about those dorman stuff. Maybe there better now but I wouldn't chance it for the extra it costs for the good stuff.

Latest posts

Members online