6.0 power steering pump upgrade

Got4wd

Reaction score
Parts needed 99-03 e250-350-450 7.3

Power steering bracket

You can use the 6.0 f350 pump like I did if you want to the reservoir like I did in the pics or you can use the factory E series but will need to mount the reservoir up more by the ac compressor. I didn't have that room since i have a intercooler. You need the E series pulley also. It had a smaller shaft diameter than the F series 94.5-97

Power steering hose. This will need to be made. It's easy, however if you are running hydroboost, do not use the aeroquip stainless hose. It will transfer the noise from the pump to the cab. With a vac system there will be no noise. I am going back to rubber hose so the noise can't transfer up to the cab from the all metal lines.

I also used Lee mfg conversion fittings so I got rid of the ghetto Teflon seal and now have -6 hoses.

On to the pics. Sorry for the quick write up. Post up if you have any questions. I do have a few more brackets made if you want to do this conversion and use the E series power steering reservoir. I will sell them for what they cost me.

A3EFDD96-3668-4738-A83A-E7085ABF1F48_zpskgaitbc1.jpg

97strokerHD

Reaction score
How much for a bracket? Also can I use the same belt or would I have to get a different one?

Got4wd

Reaction score
I think you have an obsession with power steering pumps.

Nice job.

What's the benefit going to the 6.0 pump?

Billy T.
[email protected]

No kidding right! Well the sag pump was great till it failed. The shaft sheared off and they don't make that pump anymore so I was forced to go a different route. The pump is similar to the gm tc pump. Better internals and easier turning of the wheel with larger tires.

97strokerHD

Reaction score
Got4wd, do you still have any brackets or a part number for the pulley? Have to use the e series pulley with both the truck and van pump right?

old man dave

Reaction score
Van Power Steering Pulley is the only hard spot for this conversion, its obsolete and no longer available new. Its strickly a junkyard item off of a 1997-2003 7.3 E-series van. The 6.0 pulley will not work, its dimensionally wrong for the van pump/mount. No correct aftermarket pulley available either. Also watch out for pumps that are offered with pulley, they may not be the right ones.

The rest can be ordered new from dealers like Sunrise or Tasca Ford, found on Ebay or from RockAuto.

1997-2003 7.3 Van (According to RockAuto)

Van Power Steering Pump Motorcraft STP-122RM. There appears to be a bunch of other Ford/Motorcraft part numbers for this pump which makes doing a search a little strange. If you buy the pump off of ebay, generally there is no core charge.

Power Steering Pump Remote Mounting Reservior F7UZ-3A697-AB.

Reservior Mounting Bracket F7UZ-3A3490-AB. You have to figure out a mount. Got4wd made an adaptor bracket to fit to the IDM mount to hang the reservior bracket.

A/C Compressor Mounting Bracket F7TZ-19E708-BA. This has the A/C and 6.0 style power steering pump mount on the drivers side engine bracket, unlike a SD engine bracket.

Hoses have to be custom made.

All of this information is from Got4wd. Jerimiah said he does have some bracket/pump/pulleys he can sell for his cost.

Last edited:

Byrddoger

Reaction score
I'm looking in to running this setup on my f350 agr screwed me over took a month to get my pump and now I'll have to destroy my ps bracket just to have it break a few months down the road no thanks what all parts do you have on hand

old man dave

Reaction score
I'm looking in to running this setup on my f350 agr screwed me over took a month to get my pump and now I'll have to destroy my ps bracket just to have it break a few months down the road no thanks what all parts do you have on hand

You have to check with Got4wd to see what he has. Try a PM. The van pulley is the must find wrecking yard part and you have to make up the hoses, all of the other stuff, A/C bracket, pump and reservior are available new on the internet or ebay but much cheaper at the wrecking yards.

You might try the pick n pulls for the van parts, 7.3 1997-2003 van (according to RockAuto). At this point, I don't think many are out looking for the parts yet.

There are a lot of new 6.0 style pumps on ebay, also. Got4wd PMed me about one for $60 NIB shipped. Usually, the ebay ones don't want a core either.

The distinguishing thing about the 6.0 pump on the 7.3 PSD van is that it has no integral reservior, the reservior is remotely mounted. The air conditioning bracket has the 6.0 PS pump instead of the OBS 7.3 pump with integral reservior. and the A/C bracket is on the driver's side unlike the SD pickups.

I found a whole setup just by walking into my buddy's garage. He had a complete 7.3 van engine sitting on the floor. Its now in my parts stash.:D

old man dave

Reaction score
You really should try to find a van in the wrecking yards. That way you can also get the "Must Have, junkyard only" PS pulley.

97strokerHD

Reaction score
If you use a truck pump will the truck pulley work or does it absolutely have to be a pulley from a van?

Latest posts

Members online