2014 F350 SRW w/ H&S Minimax and ****** pipe.

Eillek

Reaction score
Hell everyone I am a first time Diesel owner. I purchased this to pull my 36ft travel trailer! I loved it at first but then my NO2 sensors and *** sensors started going, the DEF heater was going so I decided it was more cost effective to ****** it! Man was I impressed! From 13 MPG to nearly 20 empty! 7MPG to almost 13 loaded!!! So here is the question cause I’m a new diesel guy. So on the way back from FT Payne today my truck started acting up. It had lack of power the whole time but on the way home it started throwing constant black smoke out and was running hot. The way there and back it kept defueling and kicking from tow to stock and back again. I stopped on the side of the road and beat the air filter out and let it cool for a while. It threw secondary cooler efficiency code and a p1247 unknown code. I cleared them both and took off in stock setting.it didn't do it again the rest of the way over the mountain(about 30 miles) I feel like my 1500 pulled it better lol. I am wondering if it has an exhaust leak as it kinda sounds like it but again never having owned one I am not sure if the sound I am hearing is normal. I hear you won’t hear a leak after the turbo and one before it will sound like a hissing sound which mine does when I get on it. But only while the turbo is spooling. Also I am not seeing boost over 15-18 psi I feel that is a bit low? I was side by side a 2500 pulling a 5th wheel that had to have been 4K heavier than mine up a 17% grade and he left me in the dust!!! CANT HAVE THAT!!!! No other mods to the truck just the H&S MiniMaxx and the ****** pipe...

Eillek

Reaction score
Thanks!

I would closely inspect the cold side intercooler pipe for cracks

Thank you! I looked at the pipe and what do you know, 2 inch hole in the bottom side of it. Got one from my local dealer list for 287.00 with my discount got it at 173! And good to go, pulling normal! Had a guy look at the coolant leak and he said it’s not leaking visually but he thinks it is leaking into the EGR and burning it out the exhaust. So next project will be a full EGR deeelete, then a cold air intake.

JHTX

Reaction score
Thank you! I looked at the pipe and what do you know, 2 inch hole in the bottom side of it. Got one from my local dealer list for 287.00 with my discount got it at 173! And good to go, pulling normal! Had a guy look at the coolant leak and he said it’s not leaking visually but he thinks it is leaking into the EGR and burning it out the exhaust. So next project will be a full EGR deeelete, then a cold air intake.

I would look at the turbo coolant fitting. It’s very hard to detect the leak as it collects in the valley and very rarely hits the ground. Start by looking for coolant on the transmission bell housing and around your oil pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHTX

Reaction score

I would suggest replacing that factory CAC pipe with an aftermarket one. They are known to fail at any interval either at the connections or in the body itself. I put an H&S one on my truck never had another problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online