I have no clue what’s wrong with my truck?

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be chunks, shavings and dust make their way through. Last I checked, most intercoolers are built about the same.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I was making a pull. Lost boost. Looked in mirror rolling white smoke out exhaust. If this is just a turbo fix I’ll just order a new one?

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Ok guys, IMO the turbo let go completely. Actually coming apart. Here are my questions:

Is this as easy as just ordering a new turbo and swapping out?

Will there be chunks or shavings in the intercooler?

How do you go about cleaning out the intercooler? Is there any good brands out there a nice stainless one would look pretty cool up front?

What are the chances it hurt the motor? I wanna do this right but need to get it back in the road ASAP. Thanks again guys.

08Monster

Reaction score
Ok guys, IMO the turbo let go completely. Actually coming apart. Here are my questions:

Is this as easy as just ordering a new turbo and swapping out?

Will there be chunks or shavings in the intercooler?

How do you go about cleaning out the intercooler? Is there any good brands out there a nice stainless one would look pretty cool up front?

What are the chances it hurt the motor? I wanna do this right but need to get it back in the road ASAP. Thanks again guys.
I would troubleshoot first and made sure that's the problem, I would remove the CAC tubes and clean, and replace the intercooler.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wildbill963258

Reaction score
If you're IC caught all the debris I would replace the IC and not even worry about cleaning it. Just to verify that you're motor didn't get hurt I would pull the valve covers off and check for shavings there then change the oil and check the plug for shavings and have the oil filter checked for shavings as well. If when you pull the oil plug and there are no shavings you might have gotten lucky and the IC trapped all the metal.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
As stated, pull the inlet off to the turbo, and verify that the thing came apart. White or whit/blue smoke can come from many things on these, but from your issues, sounds turbo related. If the impeller is chewed to ****, then check the cac for debris. If its not chewed to ****, then it may have just **** the seal. Check the down pipe for oil. If there is metal in the cac tubes, changing it wouldnt be a bad idea. Get one thats not a factory one, as the factory ones have a tendency to blow off end tanks. I'm running a car, that was around 450 bucks, and is holding up.

As fir pulling your valve covers and oil filter, the metal that comes from the turbo isnt going to go to the crankcase. If it passes thru the cac, it will be in the intake manifold and cylinders, but that is a big "if" it makes it padt the cac.

For a replacement turbo, contact KC Turbos. Great turbos, and his customer service is amazing.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Petro

Reaction score
Listen to 6.0 tech . . . . Can't believe people would recommend replacing the intercooler without first maybe suggesting to see if the compressor wheel is even chewed up. And why in the f*ck would you check under the valve covers for metal shaving if a turbo let go? That might be the dumbest comment I've seen in a long time. If your turbo did truly let go, swap it out, if the compressor wheel isn't chewed up your gonna be just fine. Unless its completely destroyed, I wouldn't be too worried about anything getting into the engine through the CAC. Its very unlikely on a 6.0.

Corys6.0

Reaction score
As stated, pull the inlet off to the turbo, and verify that the thing came apart. White or whit/blue smoke can come from many things on these, but from your issues, sounds turbo related. If the impeller is chewed to ****, then check the cac for debris. If its not chewed to ****, then it may have just **** the seal. Check the down pipe for oil. If there is metal in the cac tubes, changing it wouldnt be a bad idea. Get one thats not a factory one, as the factory ones have a tendency to blow off end tanks. I'm running a car, that was around 450 bucks, and is holding up.

As fir pulling your valve covers and oil filter, the metal that comes from the turbo isnt going to go to the crankcase. If it passes thru the cac, it will be in the intake manifold and cylinders, but that is a big "if" it makes it padt the cac.

For a replacement turbo, contact KC Turbos. Great turbos, and his customer service is amazing.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

What’s the chances metal made it into the motor? Is CAR a brand of intercooler? Yes KC is my choice of turbo

wildbill963258

Reaction score
As stated above Petro it can happen. To the OP do what you want with your truck all the things I suggested are the things I would do if it were my truck and I knew the turbo blew. Because even if the IC trapped all the metal and you get it cleaned who's ro say that all the shavings were cleaned out? What if you're traveling down the road and you blow your motor from metal shavings escaping into the motor. But like I said it's your truck so it's your money and decision.

sootie

Reaction score
As stated above Petro it can happen. To the OP do what you want with your truck all the things I suggested are the things I would do if it were my truck and I knew the turbo blew. Because even if the IC trapped all the metal and you get it cleaned who's ro say that all the shavings were cleaned out? What if you're traveling down the road and you blow your motor from metal shavings escaping into the motor. But like I said it's your truck so it's your money and decision.
Maybe stick to reading and not offering tech advice. Have you ever worked on a truck?

Corys6.0

Reaction score
Ok, when the turbo blew I pulled over as soon as I could, less than a mile. So a total of maybe 1-2 minutes of run time after the turbo blew. I did start the truck one time. It ran for 10-15 seconds and I shut it off. My plan of attack here is to not even mess with the intercooler cleaning wise I will just buy a new turbo and new intercooler. I’m just scared to death shavings made it into the motor. I hope sootie is right.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Ok, when the turbo blew I pulled over as soon as I could, less than a mile. So a total of maybe 1-2 minutes of run time after the turbo blew. I did start the truck one time. It ran for 10-15 seconds and I shut it off. My plan of attack here is to not even mess with the intercooler cleaning wise I will just buy a new turbo and new intercooler. I’m just scared to death shavings made it into the motor. I hope sootie is right.

Well if you're scared at least change the oil to make sure that metal didn't make it into the motor.

Petro

Reaction score
Maybe stick to reading and not offering tech advice. Have you ever worked on a truck?

This ^^^^^^. For the love of God, just look at the f*cking compressor wheel and you'll know 100% right away if you have to even worry about possibly blowing out the intercooler. It takes 5 minutes. If it is intact then there is no reason to even mention the intercooler. Even if it isn't, the chances of anything getting into the motor is nearly impossible with the way a Ford intercooler is designed. Swapped out idk how many blown Ford turbos and never one time has metal ever gotten past the intercooler.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online