2001 7.3 issues

my55shoebox

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to the group, checked out a bunch of forums before joining and this one seemed to have the best info and not a bunch of people running around pounding their chests....LOL
So I picked up a 2001 Ford F550, 4x4 4 door and it's got an issue. I am no diesel mechanic by any means, so hoping I can get help here.
The guy I got it from pulled the fuel pump fuse and hooked a toggle switch in place of it. If you start the truck it will idle, but has no power, if you flip the switch on it almost seems to over fuel. I can get it to rev up to 2000 rpm but takes a while, and then if I flip the switch on it will rev up to red line, (turning the switch on would be like replacing the fuse) It idles rough almost like a mis in a gas engine. I wish I knew more to figure this out.
I have pulled the valve cover, checked all wiring, seems fine, I unplug the injectors while running and it seems the one on the front passenger side doesn't miss a beat as much as lets say disconnecting the rear one. Is it possible for one to work half ass? There is also a little wee bit of oil coming out of the front two and nothing out of the rear two.
Any help at all is welcomed, I am not up on the apprev's like tps....ect Thanks again guys.

Last edited:

Dirtclod

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! Lots of knowledge on here and they have helped me out a lot. Even though I can't answer your question but that toggle switch shouldn't Be there. These things run on high pressure oil with an electronic injection drive module(IDM). If the IDM isn't working it won't start.Fuel pressure should be @55-60 psi. I would say down to @40 you wouldn't be able to tell much difference. If you're not getting enough oil to the injectors it's either a very weak HPOP (high pressure oil pump) ICP(injection control pressure sensor) CPS( cam pos Sensor) or IPR Valve. They all work together like timing for a gas engine. So what fuse are you bypassing?

my55shoebox

Reaction score
There is oil coming from each injector. So basically now it's a no start issue. The only way it runs is if I remove fuse 19 under the hood. Once the truck is running it has no power, when I put the fuse back in it just dies. I even tried to run a powered switch to the fuse, have the truck running and and moving down the road, I can flip the switch on and the truck gets more power but obviously this isn't right. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Sounds like some grounding or direct short issues. If a fuse was pulled and the switch put in its place, they were likely blowing fuses. I'd recommend doing some meter work.

my55shoebox

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, I haven't had much time to play with the truck. This morning I pulled valve covers to have a look. My injectors are spitting oil from the little hole on the opposite side of the electrical connection. Wish I new how to post a picture to show you all. Should oil be coming from here? If your looking at the injector from the top your electrical connection is up top, this hole is on the bottom closer to the exhaust manifold? hope that makes sense.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, I haven't had much time to play with the truck. This morning I pulled valve covers to have a look. My injectors are spitting oil from the little hole on the opposite side of the electrical connection. Wish I new how to post a picture to show you all. Should oil be coming from here? If your looking at the injector from the top your electrical connection is up top, this hole is on the bottom closer to the exhaust manifold? hope that makes sense.
yes, those are the spouts that oil is supposed to shoot out. if not, then there are issues. lol

live life full throttle

BigRed97

Reaction score
IF I'm reading this right...your toggle switch turns the fuel pump on and off....IT SHOULD BE ON WHEN STARTING AND RUNNING. DO NOT TURN IT OFF UNLESS YOU HAVE SHUT THE IGNITION OFF

A 7.3 will run with out the fuel pump, not well but it will run and drive to am extent. It is not good for the injectors. You are starving them of fuel (no pressure) amd they are basicalliny having to pump there own fuel

my55shoebox

Reaction score
The switch is gone, but as soon as I put the fuse in it dies. I check pressure coming out of the pump on the frame and its at 110psi, I am going to check pressure at the fuel bowl once I get the adapter. I dropped the tank and everything looks like new, I am at a loss here, really starting to think injectors, but why would it die when you put the fuse in, is there an injector or two hung open, it doesn't blow any smoke. I am stumped.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
You're in the right location. I'm not really sure of the sequence for trouble shooting but if you google 7.3 no idle troubleshoot sequence I'm sure it'll lead you right. Everything on these engines revolves around cps,ipr,ipv the icm. There could be a fried circuit in the pcm. Have you ran diagnostic on it? Any codes? If you knew someone that had a matching pcm you could switch it out and see if that fixes it.

Dave_Nevada

Reaction score
About Fuse 19 problems: Others have had this and it was a harness problem with the cruise control (Fuse 19). They pulled the column plastic off and inspected the harness. Look for shorts and/or exposed wire insulation rubbing on ground on the column. Seems like a common problem (after some miles) with some Effies.

Latest posts

Members online