AKF250 Alaska Build - (650-700HP BUILD)

akf250

Reaction score
2008 Ford F-250 CC FX4

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Been tuned and cleaned up for 60,000 miles. Trucks at 101,000 Miles. Driver side head started leaking under boost.

Classic 6.4 Power: Spart@n 275 Tune, Exhaust Things Removal, 4 inch turbo back, and AFE air intake.

500ish HP and 0-60 in 5 seconds. Been lovin’ it!

- Cal Tracs traction bars
- EDE transmission (triple disc converter + H/D components)
- Gasser springs, rear block removed, lowered 3 inches.
- Top Gun Customz Dual Steering Stabilizers

attachment.jpg

Looking to do a reliable 650-700 HP build on stock fuel, and add cold weather, road trip & tow comforts to the truck. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska where it will average negative 40 - 50 below for multiple weeks throughout the winter and our runs to the mountains for play are always 200 + mile tows.

This is my first major engine rebuild I have ever done, and only diesel I have ever torn into. I have done all the work myself besides the transmission and traction bars since I was out of state. This is my first truck, at this point its a hobby not a necessity, and I plan on keeping it around forever. I have zero official diesel certificates, but I work for the largest equipment rental dealer in Alaska and have a wealth of first person knowledge and help at my disposal. I also have all of you! I've been studying PowerStrokeArmy Forums for the past 7 years, I've watched every Youtube video possible on 6.4 rebuilds, and am taking my sweet time on my build as to not rush anything. I am very particular, organized, and will not hesitate to ask for help. That is why I am getting this thread started. The questions are building up and I would love to ask the community what you think.

OK enough about me, here's the build list so far!

- H-11 Studs
- BD Manifolds
- Downpipe Dump TIAL Wastegate
- Bulletproof Diesel Water Pump w/ New Front Cover
- Jr High Power 76.7mm turbos

“EDE Jr. High-Power Turbochargers are bolt-in direct replacement for the OEM setup on 2008-2010 6.4L equipped Ford trucks. See increased boost output, higher horsepower and torque gains, and lower Exhaust Gas Temperature's (EGT). Excellent match for 300+hp tuning files and stock injectors, 60hp, 85hp, or 110hp injectors. Capable of producing around 700 rear wheel horsepower with stock injectors. The High-Pressure turbo is equipped with a Billet 59mm inducer compressor wheel and a larger turbine wheel. The Low-Pressure Turbo (atmosphere) has an exclusive Precision Turbo CEA 76.7mm "Billet" compressor wheel.”

- Stock Injectors w/ Stock HP Fuel Pump
- EDE Fuel Bowl Removal
- Sinister Diesel External Oil Filter with Coolant Filter
- EDE EGR Removal
- Side Action Diesel CCV
- Heavy Duty Oiled Lifters (truly necessary on a 650 HP build?)
- Are new lifter hold downs necessary?
- ATI performance damper, new belt tensioners, and belts (FLUIDAMPR A NO GO?)
- FASS Titanium Series Diesel Fuel Lift Pump 150GPH with coolant ports
- Webasto System mounted in front of fuel tank inside of frame rail
- The Webasto will have a valve manifold so I can close it off for summer.
- It will also run through the lift pump to warm it up on cold days. Anyone have experience with this?
- Perform Wiring for Pre Heating Heated Seats (PDF document)
- New LED backup lights + some Rigid Light Bars up front

Minute 5:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs3uFaSvU3E

- Dual Alternator Kit (QVM Bulletin: Q-160)

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-160.pdf

- Ridetech Compressor System AirPod 4-Way RidePro
- Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Rear helper bags + In Coil Front Helper Bags
- Still exploring future full air ride options for the future.
- No Limit Polished Cold Side Kit
- Titan Fuel Tanks Spare Tire Tank

Still not sure about where to go on these items

HEADS & VALVETRAIN

- Heads are completely shot, cracks on every valve both exhaust and intake side. Cracks running into coolant ports. Just too gone to risk it.

- Looking at Kill Devil Diesel Motorsports O-Ringed Fully Built Heads instead of rebuilding some OEMS. They are very knowledgeable, helpful, and I hear they build some of the best 6.4 heads out there.

They are very responsive and have been helping discuss options, needs, and wants for my build. Here is some conversation I had with Kill Devil Diesel:

ME: "Hey do you carry 6.4 heads stock replacement? Price? H-11 studs, stock fuel, and a 76 mm Jr's High Power. Would you recommend any valvetrain updates besides HD lifters along with that build?"

KDDM: "I wouldn’t necessarily recommend HD lifters, we use the OE style lifters and have had no issues, even on our 1500 hp builds. The camshafts in these really aren’t very violent. What HD lifters were you considering?"

ME: "The Heavy Duty Lifters with Axle Oiler from EDE. Without a more advanced cam profile I don't think I need any upgraded valvetrain from OE. Only gonna be a 650 hp build. Agreed?"

KDDM: "To answer your question, we do have 6.4 heads, o-ringed ready to install, $2300. We’re about 2 weeks out currently on shipping 6.4 heads. Even with a stage 2 or 3 cam, they’re really not very aggressive compared to the gas world, not to mention the low 4k rpm rev range makes it easier on everything too. We never see any failures with our supplier for OE style lifters, even on the 4500 rpm stage 2 and 3 Cams. We keep stock, stage 2, and 3 Cams in stock, as well as lifters, pushrods, gaskets, etc. let me know if we can help when the time comes, thanks!"

ME: "When you get o-ringed heads. Do you have to get a matching ring placed on the block side? Also do you heads come with stainless valves or anything different than oem?"

KDDM: "Nope, no other o-rings or receiver grooves are necessary in the block. Just prep the block like you would for any other head gasket job. I tell guys ‘no power tools’, just because some people can get carried away and actually remove metal off of the block with a burnishing pad/wiz wheel, etc. a clean, flat surface, free of any oil/antifreeze is all you need on the block side. The o-rings work great with any of the common gaskets available, Ford, Mahle, Victor, and felpro. Honestly i believe the Felpro is a better gasket, especially for the money.

"As for the valves, the factory valves are just a thinly chrome plated mild steel valve, nothing special at all. The standard valve we use in our heads is a nitrided intake valve, to help prevent guide wear, which is usually worse on the intake on the 6.0/6.4 because of the poor valvetrain geometry. We correct the geometry in our specs too, but the nitrided valves hold up better. For the Performance/racing crowd we do offer stainless intake valves and inconnel exhaust valves but that adds about $1200 dollars to the cost for a set of those. Unless you plan on seeing 2000 degree EGT’s regularly, the standard valves we use should do just fine. Because of the way we set up the heads, we also end up with slightly higher valve spring pressure than stock also. Those are new USA made valves, springs, retainers and seals."

ME: "I like the sounds of all that! Doubt I would need to do stainless in my 650 HP build with no intentions of racing. Thanks for the quick response. I will let you know shortly. Would you recommend chromoly pushrods for any reason on a build like this?"

KDDM: "Around 600-700 hp is where I start to recommend valve spring and pushrod upgrades. Performance springs would add another $300." I don’t recommend upgrading springs without pushrods, the added pressure of the upgraded springs is more than I would want to run on the stock style pushrods. You can upgrade the pushrods without the springs, but not the other way around in my opinion. For your application it’s good insurance.

Valvetrain & Cam

KDDM with an awesome analysis between Stage 1 and 2:

"We stock OE cams with a better lobe profile, same specs for lift and duration but a better shape (basically different numbers at .200” lift), we also stock colt stage 2 and stage 3 cams. The stage 2 is about as versatile of a cam as you could ask for. It eliminates some of the emissions considerations that were built into the factory cam, it has a much smoother lobe profile than the factory cam (doesn’t tear up the lifters as badly). it tows really well, spools turbos a little better than stock cam, and most customers report 1-2 mpg gains. It is actually what we used in the motor we built for Charlie Keeter that won DPC the last 2 years, documented well over 1,000 rwhp, runs 9.80’s in the 1/4 as a full bodied 7k lb truck. Not everyone is building a race truck, I know, but I throw that out there as an example if it’s potential. If someone was looking for gains in a higher rpm range, north of 4k, then I would look at the stage 3, but for 99% of street trucks the 2 is the way to go, from stock to wild. The stage 2 is a drop in camshaft, meaning no valve reliefs in the piston are required, as long as everything else is in spec, meaning as long as piston protrusion, valve recession, etc. Our heads work very well, with updated valve height, and our modified (deeper) valve recession, which buys you a little more piston to valve clearance than stock, and as mentioned, puts the lifter in its proper operating range, which helps with ‘pump up’. If it’s not a racing, nitrous or larger compound turbo application, factory valve springs will work, but again if more than 50-60 PSI is planned, or north of 4k rpm, I would recommend the performance valve springs ($300), as well as the performance pushrods ($300) to take the extra 50% spring pressure from the performance springs. We sell a cam/lifter power package for $1,000, it includes a Colt stage 2 camshaft, OE replacement lifters, ARP crank hub bolts, and the rear gasket/rear main seal (the cam/crank gears engage in the rear of the motor). We’re working on a video now to show how to properly install the camshaft and re-instal the rear hub."

Someone send me a sound video of a cam'd 6.4 and convince me to drop in a cam/lifter power package lol :D

Ported Intake Manifold
- Is 400 CC's of extra flow really worth the price tag of these bad boys?
- If I re-use stock, do you recommend getting them cleaned out at a machine shop?

http://www.odawgsdiesel.com/product/odawgs-6-4-ported-intake-manifold/

- Still on the fence about getting a new intercooler just because of the cost right now (Mishimoto or Spearco?)

- Mishimoto Radiator Support Brace - Who has experience with this dilemma? My truck is mostly on-road and doesn't see much body flex off-roading. Do I need to worry?

I'm gonna try to make it as pic heavy as possible to keep it interesting once I figure out why I cannot upload photos! Hope you enjoy following along as much I'm enjoying doing the build!

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• 1935547_102001199814623_1569504_n.jpg
    1935547_102001199814623_1569504_n.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSC08072.JPG
    DSC08072.JPG
    533.7 KB · Views: 1,102
  • DSC08063.JPG
    DSC08063.JPG
    425.2 KB · Views: 1,114
  • DSC00879.JPG
    DSC00879.JPG
    442.6 KB · Views: 1,090
  • DSC00878.JPG
    DSC00878.JPG
    489.5 KB · Views: 1,064

Lipka101

Reaction score
Couple thing I will suggest but I’m not sure about. If you are keeping stock fuel/injectors there is no real reason to go with the 76mm atmo. Not much if any gain over a 72-73mm. Could save a little $, and do the ported intake. Anything to help keep it cool is a winner. I also suggest doing a cam mostly just from a reliability standpoint. I have no experience with lift pumps but many will suggest skipping the fass and going with a fuel lab setup. Are you doing pistons? Edit: just saw the reason for going with the fass system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

akf250

Reaction score
Tear Down Pics

PICS

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00864.JPG
    DSC00864.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 986
  • DSC00865.JPG
    DSC00865.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 961
  • DSC00866.JPG
    DSC00866.JPG
    307.4 KB · Views: 956
  • DSC00867.JPG
    DSC00867.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 941
  • DSC00868.JPG
    DSC00868.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 935

akf250

Reaction score
MORE PICS

MORE PICS

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00869.JPG
    DSC00869.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 917
  • DSC00870.JPG
    DSC00870.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 915
  • DSC00872.JPG
    DSC00872.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 902
  • DSC00873.JPG
    DSC00873.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 911
  • DSC00899.JPG
    DSC00899.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 907

akf250

Reaction score
FUEL SYSTEM

FASS TITANIUM 150GPH

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00875.JPG
    DSC00875.JPG
    322.2 KB · Views: 888
  • DSC00876.JPG
    DSC00876.JPG
    297.4 KB · Views: 878
  • DSC00877.JPG
    DSC00877.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 872
  • DSC00902.JPG
    DSC00902.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 892
  • DSC00886.JPG
    DSC00886.JPG
    452.8 KB · Views: 890

akf250

Reaction score
CAB LIFT

OVERHEAD CRANE CAB LIFT

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6725.JPG
    IMG_6725.JPG
    888.8 KB · Views: 891
  • IMG_6726.JPG
    IMG_6726.JPG
    933.2 KB · Views: 881
  • IMG_6731.JPG
    IMG_6731.JPG
    824 KB · Views: 879
  • IMG_6735.JPG
    IMG_6735.JPG
    842.8 KB · Views: 879
  • IMG_6751.JPG
    IMG_6751.JPG
    932.1 KB · Views: 853

akf250

Reaction score
MORE TEAR DOWN

TEAR DOWN

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00157.JPG
    DSC00157.JPG
    477.7 KB · Views: 829
  • DSC00159.JPG
    DSC00159.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 823
  • DSC00160.JPG
    DSC00160.JPG
    381.9 KB · Views: 818
  • DSC00161.JPG
    DSC00161.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 820
  • DSC00165.JPG
    DSC00165.JPG
    437 KB · Views: 806

akf250

Reaction score
MORE TEAR DOWN

TEAR DOWN

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00171.JPG
    DSC00171.JPG
    437.9 KB · Views: 794
  • DSC00177.JPG
    DSC00177.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 785
  • DSC00178.JPG
    DSC00178.JPG
    316.3 KB · Views: 793
  • DSC00173.JPG
    DSC00173.JPG
    449.5 KB · Views: 795
  • DSC00175.JPG
    DSC00175.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 797

akf250

Reaction score
MORE TEAR DOWN

TEAR DOWN

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

CRACKSVILLE

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00179.JPG
    DSC00179.JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 789
  • DSC00180.JPG
    DSC00180.JPG
    479 KB · Views: 789
  • head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 779
  • head2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 783

Roccafellas

Reaction score
You were on run what you brung weren’t you!
Right on man! Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
be careful torquing those H-11 studs, would suck to crack the block.

Didnt notice but what are you doing for pistons? Staying stock is a ticking time bomb. Up there i doubt you want delipped adnd fly cut pistons, it would be a haxy mo fo. Do maxxforce 7 pistons.

Springs and pushrods are a must, period.

Ported intake manifold is money well spent to balance the amount of air to the cylinders as well as keep it cooler.

Personally i would stay with a stock balancer, no real need to upgrade.

As far as a cam goes, it wont make any sound difference to the truck really it will just bring the torque on more aggressively in the rpm range.

I hope you plan on getting good tuning. Gear head gets my vote.

akf250

Reaction score
TFL - Run What You Brung

Knew I recognized this thing!

OP: looking good!

Haha dammit I knew I wouldn't be able to hide from that! :doh:

So I actually did a Project Management class project for TFLcar to help them grow viewership while getting my degree. The first thing I said was "Where the f$#ks the trucks at? Your a Colorado based automotive website". At the end of it all Roman invited me to do the "Run What You Brung" series which they had created. He didn't believe me when I said I could keep up with the Audi A10 he was reviewing. They must have saw the potential, they now have TFLtruck.

http://www.tfltruck.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxXH8zqW8AM

Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out.

Read through the comments before you unleash the daddy money this lowered dual exhaust that bull**** on me. Someones already covered it for you, trust me.

akf250

Reaction score
Nothing Missed

seems like a head gasket job with lifters fuel system and a drop in? Or did I miss something....

Pretty much yep. Top end, stock fuel, drop in air, manifolds, wastegate, EGR ******, fuel bowl ******, low pressure fuel system, and some suspension upgrades.

Nothing over the top, just good parts to push the lower end for the next 100,000 miles.

Then the pistons, rods, fuel, and more will come into play.

akf250

Reaction score
Pistons and Tuning

be careful torquing those H-11 studs, would suck to crack the block.

Didnt notice but what are you doing for pistons? Staying stock is a ticking time bomb. Up there i doubt you want delipped adnd fly cut pistons, it would be a haxy mo fo. Do maxxforce 7 pistons.

Springs and pushrods are a must, period.

Ported intake manifold is money well spent to balance the amount of air to the cylinders as well as keep it cooler.

Personally i would stay with a stock balancer, no real need to upgrade.

As far as a cam goes, it wont make any sound difference to the truck really it will just bring the torque on more aggressively in the rpm range.

I hope you plan on getting good tuning. Gear head gets my vote.

No pistons for now. Everything looks great. From what I've read on 6.4 pistons its a crap shoot for why they are cracking any-who (whats causing it, tuning, fuel, towing, etc.)

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28904&highlight=hole+piston&page=8

I agree with you, they could and should be upgraded. I just don't think I can do it now.

What do you think about the Patriot Diagnostics Version 10.02 SOTF W/OST for the 2008 6.4L? Which Gear Head tune are you using?

Roccafellas

Reaction score
Pretty much yep. Top end, stock fuel, drop in air, manifolds, wastegate, EGR ******, fuel bowl ******, low pressure fuel system, and some suspension upgrades.

Nothing over the top, just good parts to push the lower end for the next 100,000 miles.

Then the pistons, rods, fuel, and more will come into play.

Sound like my build minus the air

Roccafellas

Reaction score
How is it all holding together? What tuning do you run with your setup?

6f81ad338a920b653c9aa05c64c7955a.jpg

Not together yet, soon.
Mahle de-lipped/coated pistons
DDPM Stage 1 master overhaul kit (new gaskets, lifters, lifter hold downs etc) along with
Stage I cam
ARP headstuds
High rev valve springs
Chromoly pushrods
New K16+4 new sticks,
NL Intake+Cold side pipe
Pusher intake
******* tuning generic
4” downpipe (wrapped)
6.0 mani’s and up pipes (also wrapped)
5” straight pipe
Top it off with a fresh procomp 6” Stage II lift. With 2” levelling kit 🤪
Hoping to have it together by Christmas lol...
Been 6 months!

Last edited:

dmd

Reaction score
No body mentioned the VW bug in the photo, they are summer cars in Alaska I
believe.. Way too cold to run them and freezing inside because they dont build enough
heat. I was always surprised that here were so few of them up there when they used
to be everywhere in the lower 48. Maybe there is something you do to run it
at -40?

Latest posts

Members online