AFE pipe materials question

Esoj

Reaction score
I see that AFE has a 5inch *** back pipe which is really all i need. But i see they have a stainless steel and then an aluminized steel which is cheaper. What’s the difference? Material quality? What can go wrong w the alumized that can’t with the stainless?

erbear28

Reaction score
Stainless one is probably 409 Aluminized is low/cheap steel. Go with the stainless one if you drive the truck in the winter. Will hold up better

Esoj

Reaction score
Well I’m in Tx, and we rarely if ever get any kind of snow in winter time. So would the aluminized have any problems?

farm boy

Reaction score
If your just going with a deeeleete pipe, just get aluminized. That's what comes stock.

If your going full turbo back exhaust, think about how long your gonna keep the truck. Aluminized will last a long time but will eventually look like crap because of surface rust. Stainless will stay cleaner looking longer is all.

I'm in texas also and went with a 5" SS system on my 6.7 just because the 6 year old aluminized exhaust on my 7.3 is looking pretty rough, especially the downpipe. Probably from all the mud...

sootie

Reaction score
If your just going with a deeeleete pipe, just get aluminized. That's what comes stock.

If your going full turbo back exhaust, think about how long your gonna keep the truck. Aluminized will last a long time but will eventually look like crap because of surface rust. Stainless will stay cleaner looking longer is all.

I'm in texas also and went with a 5" SS system on my 6.7 just because the 6 year old aluminized exhaust on my 7.3 is looking pretty rough, especially the downpipe. Probably from all the mud...

6.7 factory exhaust is more than aluminized... it doesnt even start to show rust in eight years of harsh northern corrosive winters.

PDT1081

Reaction score
6.7 factory exhaust is more than aluminized... it doesnt even start to show rust in eight years of harsh northern corrosive winters.

The bolts and gasket/shim thing between my *** and tailpipe were rusted and falling out at 140,000. Piping is still solid.

erbear28

Reaction score
Rudy’s has a 304 stainless kit with and without a muffler. Think they are the only ones that offer a full 304 kit

Latest posts

Members online