2012 turbo replacement

kcstreetracer

Reaction score
So the last few days I've been hearing a loud squeal under boost. I believe it's the compressor wheel. So I've decided to replace the turbo with the ats Aurora 4000 kit. Is this a good choice? Or is there better options out there?

Also should I look into a new wastegate and bov?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

kcstreetracer

Reaction score
Also truck is fully ******d, Cai, 4" straight piped, and tuned.

webb06

Reaction score
So the last few days I've been hearing a loud squeal under boost. I believe it's the compressor wheel. So I've decided to replace the turbo with the ats Aurora 4000 kit. Is this a good choice? Or is there better options out there?

Also should I look into a new wastegate and bov?

Thanks in advance.

Probably won’t see much support for ats on this forum. Look into Midwest streetmax turbos or mpd non vgt budget kit. Or the 2015 retrofit kit would also be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kcstreetracer

Reaction score
Probably won’t see much support for ats on this forum. Look into Midwest streetmax turbos or mpd non vgt budget kit. Or the 2015 retrofit kit would also be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool, I'll look into it. Thanks.

sootie

Reaction score
you are gonna hate non vgt on 40" tires unless you are geared to the moon. I would stick with vgt for sure.

What are your power goals?

08Monster

Reaction score
you are gonna hate non vgt on 40" tires unless you are geared to the moon. I would stick with vgt for sure.

What are your power goals?
I don't completely agree with this, those SXE chargers light so effortlessly, it's insane. I'd go a 362 or 363 budget kit and enjoy it. 362 is plenty to clean up even a 15+ pump maxed out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
I don't completely agree with this, those SXE chargers light so effortlessly, it's insane. I'd go a 362 or 363 budget kit and enjoy it. 362 is plenty to clean up even a 15+ pump maxed out.

not sure where the OP is but where you are you can watch your dog run away for three days lol

Throw some hills and elevation in the mix and all that changes real quick. Also, i hate how the trucks dont warm up at idle in the winter with non vgt.

08Monster

Reaction score
not sure where the OP is but where you are you can watch your dog run away for three days lol

Throw some hills and elevation in the mix and all that changes real quick. Also, i hate how the trucks dont warm up at idle in the winter with non vgt.
Good point, it's flat as shiz here for the most part. Eastern side is absolutely insane without a single hill for like 100 miles. Haha elevation is also about 1650ft so not too high.

As for warming up, I don't think it's a big difference, mine didn't warm up for shiz with VGT, and still doesn't with non vgt. I can idle for 20 minutes with either, at 1200rpm and not break 120 degrees of ECT. Nature of the beast I guess, I wish I could get mine to warm up.

sootie

Reaction score
Good point, it's flat as shiz here for the most part. Eastern side is absolutely insane without a single hill for like 100 miles. Haha elevation is also about 1650ft so not too high.

As for warming up, I don't think it's a big difference, mine didn't warm up for shiz with VGT, and still doesn't with non vgt. I can idle for 20 minutes with either, at 1200rpm and not break 120 degrees of ECT. Nature of the beast I guess, I wish I could get mine to warm up.

mine will hit 100 degrees at idle in less than 15 mins. vanes closed of course.

kcstreetracer

Reaction score
As for power goals I'd be happy to sit around 600hp. I tow a lot of skid steers and mini ex's so good towing manners is needed also. I'm in Cass county Missouri by Kansas City so it's pretty flat.

08Monster

Reaction score
As for power goals I'd be happy to sit around 600hp. I tow a lot of skid steers and mini ex's so good towing manners is needed also. I'm in Cass county Missouri by Kansas City so it's pretty flat.

Without plans of changing out the CP4 for a 15+ or dual fuel, I would just do a 15+ retro and be done. Anything bigger is going to be a waste because you won't use all the air, even the 15 retro won't be completely used with the fuel you have.

I don't know why, but I am a big fan of non VGT, I love how they drive, drop the drive pressure, and sound better but that's my personal opinion. If I was in your shoes, in your area, on 40s, I would personally still probably go the 362sxe budget kit from MPD personally.

The 15+ retro is a fantastic option as well, you can't go wrong with either IMO. I just did a 15 retro this week, not going to lie, kind of a pain in the azz.

08Monster

Reaction score
not as cold as you. down to zero but rarely negatives
We are almost down to 0s already here and it's early yet. Haha, most nights are below 0 here from late December till late February. Many nights are -20 or colder, these baby's don't warm up at all when it's -20 unless you are driving on interstate with some speed and engine load.

blackseven

Reaction score
Sorry for digging up an old thread but my 2011 turbo will be due for replacement soon. I was thinking about the MPD kit, but I also pull heavy out west once a year on vacation and the exhaust brake going down Monarch and powder pass is absolutely necessary to prevent boiling the brakes. Do you completely lose all exhaust braking with the non-vgt turbos?

sootie

Reaction score
Sorry for digging up an old thread but my 2011 turbo will be due for replacement soon. I was thinking about the MPD kit, but I also pull heavy out west once a year on vacation and the exhaust brake going down Monarch and powder pass is absolutely necessary to prevent boiling the brakes. Do you completely lose all exhaust braking with the non-vgt turbos?

yes you do. if you tow at all, stay away from non-vgt

Swaan

Reaction score
He could still put a correctly sized non vgt with an exhaust brake and tow just fine.. bit more work but he could.

Reaction score
I have a friend that was having the same issue and it turned out to be an exhaust manifold bolt that broke and not the turbo it self. If you want an easy/cheap fix you might look into that before buying a turbo.

I have a '15 retro with 5k on it if you want to go used.

Also have a 11-14 with 50k on it if you just want a stock replacement.

Also know of 2 non vgt kits if you want to try your luck with those. One is a 363sxe and the other is 364.5sxe.

Honestly imho I'd stay away from non vgt if you do any towing with the 40s. If you go small on the exhaust side to make it spool faster you'll most likely build more back pressure than a stocked sized vgt.

I have 2 friends and myself that tried the non vgt setup on the 6.7 and all of us would rather have a 15 vgt retro than deal with the issues that we had while towing with a non vgt.

Good luck with whatever you choose cause all of them have their advantages and disadvantages

PM me if you're interested in any of the turbo setups or have any questions about them.

doo dah

Reaction score
My 12 with a 363 and stock fuel put 580 to the wheels @ truck source. I'm non VGT and like it more now that I'm no longer lifted and on 35" tires. When I had 6" lift and 37s I didn't like so much and with you having 40s it will be pretty easy to be under the turbo 75% of the time. I am a big proponent of non VGT however in your situation retro kit with 15 turbo will keep you on the road at minimum cost.