194K 6.7 Platinum

Shelbygrow

Reaction score
Hey guys just picked up a 2014 platinum Has 194,000 miles but very clean inside and out didn’t make any weird sounds or noises until I had the oil changed and now I have the typewriter tick. Should I run a little heavier oil? What are some good things to do with the higher mileage power strokes? It has the sinister diesel EGR ****** four-inch strait pipe out the back with a tuner. Runs very well shifts smooth. Thanks for any input and advice

Attachments

• B0F9C136-CC4A-43B6-A1FE-FD658C717ACC.jpg
    B0F9C136-CC4A-43B6-A1FE-FD658C717ACC.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 140

08Monster

Reaction score
Almost scared to change my oil for this reason. Lol I've had 2 6.7s, knock on wood but none of mine have done it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Wildman

Reaction score
No need to worry; the "typewriter" is completely normal on heavy duty diesel engines. Ford released a service bulletin to inform dealers that no diagnosis or repairs are necessary. The noise is simply more audible on the 6.7 because its such a quiet engine to begin with.

The noise you are hearing is the result of clean pressurized oil flowing through the main bearings under hydrodynamic lubrication. The intensity of the noise can vary from engine to engine based on build tolerances. As the oil becomes dirtier with more particulate matter, the noise dissipates. In early models, Ford used to send dealers a vile of carbon black (soot) to dump into the oil, which simulated dirty oil and minimized the noise. This phenomenon has nothing to do with incorrect oil viscosity or engine damage. As per the owner's manual, the best oil you can run in the 6.7 is 5W-30 Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil.

RascalMafia

#hashtag
Super Mod
Reaction score
In early models, Ford used to send dealers a vile of carbon black (soot) to dump into the oil, which simulated dirty oil and minimized the noise.

Working for a diesel engine manufacturer, this is one of the most absurd things I've ever read; especially if they put it in writing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
As per the owner's manual, the best oil you can run in the 6.7 is 5W-30 Full Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil.

This is absolutely false info about oil and what is recommend by the owner's manual.

doo dah

Reaction score
Motorcraft will tick in mine, Rotella does occasionally, I switched to Lucas and tick never came up. Just my experience not worth .02 I have 230k on my 2012.