Washing/Detailing

TripleE44

Reaction score
I need a polisher so bad. Sucks trying to make paint look like that by hand

Believe it or not, I did that with a $45 DA from harbor freight. I read a few good reviews from pros using it as a backup on auto geek so I went for it about a year or so ago. Kinda intended on it being a starter one just to get the feel if I wanted to do it on my own.

Aside from the obvious build quality, like the handle threads only working on one side or the piece on the back not wanting to stay on it's really not bad. Some guys on auto geek said the motor is actually more powerful than the porter cable everyone uses.

The one downside is its balanced horribly. And by the end of a session you're beat. I went and read a little more on auto geek and turns out that's the backing plate and everyone says to replace it and it's much better.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
I've heard of some bad results with lexol and KR seats

Lexol leather condition for the leather. Especially KR leather.

Bickmore 4 Leather Conditioner. Hands down the best you will ever use on leather. We've owned a boots, leather, and saddle shop since 1867 and it's the only product we sell or recommend. I use it on my KR Leather and it's awesome.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I did that with a $45 DA from harbor freight. I read a few good reviews from pros using it as a backup on auto geek so I went for it about a year or so ago. Kinda intended on it being a starter one just to get the feel if I wanted to do it on my own.

Aside from the obvious build quality, like the handle threads only working on one side or the piece on the back not wanting to stay on it's really not bad. Some guys on auto geek said the motor is actually more powerful than the porter cable everyone uses.

The one downside is its balanced horribly. And by the end of a session you're beat. I went and read a little more on auto geek and turns out that's the backing plate and everyone says to replace it and it's much better.
Got a link? Sounds like just what I need

swinky

Reaction score
I have the porter cable 7424xp I believe. Things a beast. Not worried about the power of the motor considering I never use it on full power.

TripleE44

Reaction score
I have the porter cable 7424xp I believe. Things a beast. Not worried about the power of the motor considering I never use it on full power.

I wasn't saying the harbor freight is necessarily better, just trying to demonstrate that it's not really as big of a piece of **** as you'd expect from them. I think its a good starter or even good for once a year or so. I've actually been researching getting one of the nicer ones, mainly so I don't hate using it as much.

swinky

Reaction score
I wasn't saying the harbor freight is necessarily better, just trying to demonstrate that it's not really as big of a piece of **** as you'd expect from them. I think its a good starter or even good for once a year or so. I've actually been researching getting one of the nicer ones, mainly so I don't hate using it as much.
I hear ya man. That's good news though maybe I can get some friends to buy the harbor freight one and quit borrowing mine. What products would you recommend for maybe a 2 step process to remove light/medium swirls and have a good bling factor?

TripleE44

Reaction score
I hear ya man. That's good news though maybe I can get some friends to buy the harbor freight one and quit borrowing mine. What products would you recommend for maybe a 2 step process to remove light/medium swirls and have a good bling factor?

I really like the chemical guys V series polishes. V34,36,38,38. 34 is the most aggressive and 38 is the lightest. The only others I've used were the Meguiars that comes in the tan bottles, but I can't remember the names now.

The V36 works really well for a one step, and that's what I did a couple weeks ago with great results. I would just try that on your truck first, to see what you can get it to do without taking too much of your clear off. If you need more the 34 would be plenty.

Don't overlook the pad you are using either. I used the orange hex logic pad with that, but I've seen where people with more swirls use the green one, which is the heavy polishing pad, but not quite a cutting pad.

swinky

Reaction score
Gotchya thanks man. I've had good luck with all my griots stuff but have heard great things about chem guys. My trucks the chestnut metallic that came on 03-04 king ranches and I'm In love with the color with a good top coat on it

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415378355242.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415378355242.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 161

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
Gotchya thanks man. I've had good luck with all my griots stuff but have heard great things about chem guys. My trucks the chestnut metallic that came on 03-04 king ranches and I'm In love with the color with a good top coat on it

When you gonna come down and help me do mine?

TripleE44

Reaction score

You're welcome man. I'm sure you could have good results out of the Griots stuff, I know that's what my bro in law uses, and he wont' use anything else. Plus I recently saw their stuff at Autozone so that sure makes things easy.

The main thing with polishing I've found is to really take your time. Let the machine do it's job and don't be scared to bump up the speed. I run mine wide open after I get the product spread, and move pretty slow.

Yeah I love that color too. I haven't ever really gotten into nice wax and polishing and all until this truck, but now that I am I can't wait to get a deep metallic color and see what I can do for the depth with the right products.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
You're welcome man. I'm sure you could have good results out of the Griots stuff, I know that's what my bro in law uses, and he wont' use anything else. Plus I recently saw their stuff at Autozone so that sure makes things easy.

The main thing with polishing I've found is to really take your time. Let the machine do it's job and don't be scared to bump up the speed. I run mine wide open after I get the product spread, and move pretty slow.

Yeah I love that color too. I haven't ever really gotten into nice wax and polishing and all, but now that I am I can't wait to get a deep metallic color and see what I can do for the depth with the right products.
Perfect you can practice on mine. When I get mine back I'll hit it with an Orange pad and some of that chem guys polish and update in here. I'll never use another wal Mart product again after working with some of this other stuff.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
What do yall use to get stains from smoke off? Both corners of my truck are stained black...
50a6efce39e73840551486e12d8acfbc.jpg

TripleE44

Reaction score
I don't really know, I've never really had that problem. I'd try a clay bar to see if the stain is on top of the clear, if it was then that would probably work. If not, a light polishing compound would take the top of the clear off and hopefully the black stain as well.

After you get it off wax the **** out of that area to try to keep it off.

6.7pstroker

Reaction score
Here's a pic for inspiration. This is the truck in my avatar pic. I got the truck used and the previous owner was a fan of the brush washes. It's been a toooooooon of work to get it like this.

View attachment 32111

If you're ever in the midwest, feel free to stop by my place in St.Louis and do some work on my truck! That is gorgeous!! :drool:

6.7pstroker

Reaction score
I just made a purchase from CG. Got a little bit of everything. Im going to try out the Mr.Pink Super Suds soap, follow up with the medium duty clay bar, then the White Wax, and finish up with a coat of V7 quick detailer. Cant wait to get this stuff in and give it a go