Washing/Detailing

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Or a garage....
287801a19be81de665c8c292d9ccca73.jpg

Can I borrow some space? LOL

Man! Don't I wish that was an option. Hard to find a house around here with that much dirt for a garage like that. My truck doesn't even fit all the way in my garage for the door to shut.

It's typically warmer down your way than it is here

NY_Mott

Reaction score
You guys are really giving me the itch.....

So I know TripleE44 said the automatic car wash was most likely killing my paint. I decided to try and get some pictures of swirls or what not But I do not see all that many and the pictures don't show much, but take a look anyway.
Think I might be doing ok with the paint condition.
This is the day after the auto wash.
Couple questions, on what I should get...

Soap? I believe its a go with the MR. Pink and figure just get the gallon and don't look back.

Foam cannon, Looking for the cheap cheap without paying near $100 for it, seems like its something I can get at like harbor freight, or is it really that special of a part. Seems pretty basic to me.

Polish is where I am lost, does not seem like it needs much cutting from what I can tell, hopefully y'all can can point me in right direction.

Sealant: Jet seal seems like its the way to go.

Wax: well that's the same as the polish, what do you think?

O, and clay bar, is the bar a lot better then the glove type?
The glove type seems nice and easy which I like ( at least for my first go around) but I do not want to get cheesy results because I took the easy route.

Lastly how do you guys remove white road paint?

Thanks fellas.

Attachments

• 20141111_115619.jpg
    20141111_115619.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 20141111_115049.jpg
    20141111_115049.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
  • 20141111_115559.jpg
    20141111_115559.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20141111_115635.jpg
    20141111_115635.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:

jdgleason

Reaction score
I really wish I could find some good tips on polishing black... I'm terrified to do mine lol. I've had it done a few times, but I always feel like I could do a better job if I knew what I was looking for.

I know I clay bar and wax it better than 90% of guys around...

Jomax

Reaction score
I really wish I could find some good tips on polishing black... I'm terrified to do mine lol. I've had it done a few times, but I always feel like I could do a better job if I knew what I was looking for.

I know I clay bar and wax it better than 90% of guys around...

Menzerna FG400 followed by SF4500. I use a MF pad on my DA polisher for compound and a foam pad for the polishing step.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TripleE44

Reaction score
You guys are really giving me the itch.....

So I know TripleE44 said the automatic car wash was most likely killing my paint. I decided to try and get some pictures of swirls or what not But I do not see all that many and the pictures don't show much, but take a look anyway.
Think I might be doing ok with the paint condition.
This is the day after the auto wash.
Couple questions, on what I should get...

Soap? I believe its a go with the MR. Pink and figure just get the gallon and don't look back.

Foam cannon, Looking for the cheap cheap without paying near $100 for it, seems like its something I can get at like harbor freight, or is it really that special of a part. Seems pretty basic to me.

Polish is where I am lost, does not seem like it needs much cutting from what I can tell, hopefully y'all can can point me in right direction.

Sealant: Jet seal seems like its the way to go.

Wax: well that's the same as the polish, what do you think?

O, and clay bar, is the bar a lot better then the glove type?
The glove type seems nice and easy which I like ( at least for my first go around) but I do not want to get cheesy results because I took the easy route.

Lastly how do you guys remove white road paint?

Thanks fellas.

With those pics, you wouldn't be able to see the swirls. Try holding a flashlight close to the paint, or on a sunny day a couple hours before or after 12noon you'd be able to see them. If you're running it through a brush wash, I promise you've got some.

Mr pink is a good choice for an all around soap. That's what I buy by the gallon.

The foam cannon, I thought the same thing. I tried to find a cheaper alternative but came up empty. You really want the one that hooks to a pressure washer. The alternative is the foam gun that attaches to a regular hose, it's a little less but puts out less foam also.

Polish, The chemical guys v series is just easy. Goes v32,34,36 and 38. 32 is aggressive and 38 is light. I can't imagine you'd need 32 unless your paint was oxidized. 36 would probably do you fine. They do sell a kit that comes with all 4 in small bottles that should be enough to do the truck.

I haven't tried jet seal, but I have no doubt that's a good choice. I've been using a bottle of the blitz spray and it does well from what I can tell. And it's quicker to apply being a spray.

Wax, I prefer a paste. I just think it lasts better overall. I use the xxx hardcore from CG. It's not their nicest but I've been really really happy with it.

Clay mitt. Get the damn clay mitt. It works just as good and soooooo much faster. The clay bar is so small it takes too long. The mitt is way better. One issue though is when I used it with the luber no matter how much I put on it marred the paint a little. It polished right off but if I wasn't planning on polishing after I'd have been pissed.

Hopefully someone else can help you on that white paint. I haven't had the fortune of dealing with anything like that.

Last edited:

emanmx11

Reaction score
For KR leather, Leather CPR is hands down my top pick. It really does work wonders on those seats. Just ordered a Foam Cannon from CG, cant wait to try it out.

emanmx11

Reaction score
Also If your looking for a foam cannon cheaper, They Sell the same MTM cannon on Amazon for 65 bucks.

emanmx11

Reaction score
Yessir, they sell the ones that connect to a regular hose, but the one for 65 connects to a pressure washer. Its the same MTM cannon that you buy from Chemical Guys. Ive heard nothing negative about CG, I cannot wait to start using their products!

NY_Mott

Reaction score
Haha. I have done all sides so not much hate towards any rate from me.
But I do prefer a presure washer over hose any day.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Can I buy a cheap electric one?

I don't really see why not. You might have to use a little more soap to get the thick foam like that though. I'd try to search YouTube or somethin and see if you can find someone doing that.

6.7pstroker

Reaction score
Cool man, I've had some of the Ecosmart waterless wash stuff for a little while now, but I haven't worked up the nerve to do it yet. I'm so scared that I'll grab a piece of dirt that's too big and swirl the paint that I've worked so hard to de-swirl.

Did it feel pretty slick like you weren't actually rubbing the dirt? I'm curious if the whole "tech" of the stuff encapsulating the dirt is really real...

Yea it felt pretty smooth. The only part that was a little iffy was the bottom of the front doors and behind the rear tires, but that was kind of to be expected

Latest posts

Members online