Single stage paint opinions

patricku47

Reaction score
I assume this would be the appropriate place for this, since we don't have a paint and body section. If not, mods feel free to move!

I recently acquired a really straight, solid 1970 F-100 RCLB 4x2 360/3 speed truck for next to nothing. The truck is extremely rust free, but the paint is about gone on it and there is a lot of surface rust due to it sitting outside for several years. I'm really not looking to spend a lot of time or money on this thing as it is just an early 70's long bed pickup, but I would like to get a little paint on it to protect it from getting any worse. I'm no stranger to a little paint and body work, so I have no doubts that I could block it out, get it straight and spray the paint. My question is, what are real world opinions on a single stage black paint vs a BC/CC paint? Its obviously cheaper/faster to spray the single stage, but how does it turn out afterwards? Is the cut/buff process the same as a BC/CC? Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on this?

TyCorr

Reaction score
You know more than I on this subject i believe but to mark my place in here and to offer some perspective from a similar point as your own, I thought Id post.

My best friends brother got a 75 chevy 3/4 ton in the early 90s. He replaced the whole body and his one regret was using a single stage paint. He said bc/cc would have been much nicer.

patricku47

Reaction score
I've heard so many mixed reviews on it, I'm not sure where to begin. I know the local paint supply shop quoted me prices for everything and a single stage was 1/3 the cost of a BC/CC, and he recommended me going that route. I've also heard that a single stage is much less forgiving for an amateur painter, but as he said the cost difference is so great I could make several mistakes and still come out ahead...

TyCorr

Reaction score
I guess. I just cant see doing domething like that and cutting corners. I do see the paint suppliers logic though.

Skill_Kills

Reaction score
only thing thats hard about bc/cc is getting the clear on well. Ive done some painting and I'm by no means an expert but even my crappy job with bc/cc type paints come out better than what i've seen some single stage end up at.
NOT saying single stage wouldnt be bad especially with black. most my experience is on reds and whites which are less forgiving in general. single stage black shouldnt be too bad at all and quite cheap if you only have to do it once. bc/cc has the potential to look even better but theres more to mess up on and the cost is really up to you at that point

patricku47

Reaction score
I guess. I just cant see doing domething like that and cutting corners. I do see the paint suppliers logic though.

Trust me, I am never one to cut corners on anything, but this truck is going to be mainly used as a ranch truck, running back and forth to the feed store and stuff like that. The only reason I am even looking to paint it is to try to keep the rust to a minimum. The body is actually pretty decent on it and I hate to see it rust away.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
To tell the truth I don't know the difference in a single stage or bc/cc besides the obvious.

For a ranch truck I would skip out on the paint shop and head to a tractor dealer (I suggest John Deere) and get their "single stage" paint primer mix stuff. You still have to mix it with thinner, but I did a stock trailer in Massey Ferguson red (I had never painted before) and it looked slick. I loved the job it did. I have since done several flatbeds in black and they hold up really well.

For the trailer I did 2 coats inside and 3 on the outside. I couldn't tell the difference. All I did was minimal sanding to get it smooth. But once I applied paint I didn't cut/sand/whatever at all.

Just a thought

shmoozer

Reaction score
Why not spray it with a matte clear? Keep the patina and aged look....unless it's a really ugly paint color. I feel as though a matte clear would hide any imperfections better than something glossy. I mean after all it is just a ranch truck

-KCCO-

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
The single stage is a lot more forgiving when painting but the finished product is no where near as nice as a bc/cc job. And the single stage will dull down over time where as the bc/cc will hold its gloss. I personally wouldn't waste my time with single stage.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I deal with plenty of single stage painted stuff. Almost all equipment has a single stage paint, tractors, both our rigs etc etc. I have to polish them every year just to bring them back to red so they aren't pink. If you get a thin spot no matter how careful you are you will eventually wear threw it. Every time you polish you are removing some of the paint and will eventually have it worn threw and have to re-paint. BC/CC is the way to go

sootie

Reaction score
i know nothing about paint but i want to see a pic of the truck! LOL

patricku47

Reaction score
i know nothing about paint but i want to see a pic of the truck! LOL

We had a bunch of storms over the weekend, so it got put in the garage. As soon as I get it out and get it cleaned up half way decent I will get some pictures up.

Thanks for all the other information guys! Looks like the BC/CC is by far the crowd favorite. I'll be sure to get pictures of the progress! I'm hoping to knock this out pretty quick!

Reaction score
Bc/cc is deff the way to go if you want it to hold up being outside all the time. If you plan to keep it in a garage and clean and waxed often single stage might be ok. Like said it fades fast in the sun. The good thing about clear coat is if you get a run in it it can be sanded out if you have a couple good coats on it. You get a run in single stage your stuck with it. Just my .02.

Latest posts

Members online