OBS - V.G.T. Holset turbo install

NorcalOBS

Reaction score

That is way too electronically over my head. LOL
I'll be sticking to mechanical.

Anyways here is a couple of pics of the he451ve turbo
451vgt.jpg

451.jpg

The turbine housing on this thing looks massive. The physical size has got me worried but it should breath well. :lookaround:
451_tur.jpg

Yellow1000

Reaction score
What's that off of? It looks like an industrial application where the housing size limits it's output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk and ****.

NorcalOBS

Reaction score
I am not sure but most likely an ISX. The turbine housing is weird, it has an odd flange, and a generally weird appearance do to the vgt. I don't believe it should limit anything for me though. It is 29cm and the turbine wheel is 67/64. I am really more confused by the compressor though. I tore the thing down last night to inspect everything and found some weird stuff. Mainly that it has a new compressor housing and a billet compressor wheel that is 66 or 67mm on the inducer???? I have been researching these things for months and I was under the impression that 64mm was the biggest size put in these?????

ghohouston

Reaction score
That turbo does look an awful lot like the turbo's on cummins ism 385v's, and like a smaller version of what's on the volvo mp8's and mp10's.

NorcalOBS

Reaction score
Yes, from what I understand the 451 framed turbos came on higher HP rated cummins ISMs, ISLs, QSMs, M11s, lower hp rated ISX motors, as well as Volvo d12s and mack MP8s. The 551 frame turbos are the most common on the bigger 13 & 15 liter commercial engines like the ISX, MP8, etc. That is what made finding this turbo a tough hunt. The 451 frame turbos with the larger compressor are relatively rare. I have been beating up the web for a while now trying to find one of these for a good price and now the UPS man brings me this thing and I am not even sure what it is with that big compressor wheel on it. I don't think there is any way possible that this is a 551 model because the 551s usually are tremendously bigger in every way especially the exhaust side. However, I have never heard of a 451 with a compressor bigger than 64mm. I thought that is was either a 60mm or a 64mm on the 451s. The only holsets I know have a compressor this size are the HX52 an 55s. In actuality its a good thing I suppose, I am just wondering whats going on...
Anyways, I'll try and get some pics of the internals up later today. Maybe, someone on here can set me strait again, lol.

NorcalOBS

Reaction score
Can anyone who knows these turbos tell me what is going on. I thought that there was only a 60mm and a 64mm compressor for the 451 frame Holsets. This is what I found when I opened it up.
20140510_181816.jpg

20140510_181234.jpg

20140510_181309.jpg

20140510_181721.jpg

The odd number of blades makes getting a real precise measurement near impossible, but the best I can tell is that the inducer is 66mm and the exducer is 92-93mm. Everything on the compressor is brand new so I am wondering if someone made a hydrid with the wheel and housing from an hx52 or H2e parts, or maybe this is some rare OEM size???? Either way this should be sized even better for me than what I thought I was buying. I have a 66/66/29 instead of a 64/66/29 and a billet wheel to boot.

NorcalOBS

Reaction score
No electronics, there will be a double acting pneumatic cylinder that will actuate the vgt. Boost pressure will close down it tighten the turbine, and dive pressure will work to open the turbine. The two fight against each other leaving the turbine vanes in a position that has boost and back pressure balanced. I will use a pneumatic flow control in the drive pressure plumbing to drive pressure from opening the vanes to quickly. The temporarily higher drive pressure will give the superior spool up. Also I plan to use a few electric over air solenoid valves to adda few other functions such as force the vanes all the way open or closed, etc.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Sounds awesome. They way you describe is the way I would do it, saves a lot of money not needing a stand alone controller. Hopefully it works out. Any updates?

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
It came off of a ISM Cummins and the displacement on that particular motor I believe is a 9ltr. I've thought about this very thing with a HE551VE off of an ISX the things are absolutely massive. If you can find a way to properly control it with air pressure it should be pretty neat. I could see your pneumatic valve being a stopping point and making boost pressures fairly unpredictable or erratic. Have you thought about maybe electronic actuator that can be programmed to read a voltage setting off of boost pressure? I know involving a mess of electronics is not how you want to control it but I don't think there is a better way than just trying to simplify the CAN system Cummins uses as to one reference vs. the several they use.

Dieselboy

Reaction score
Probably from a 500hp ism. Like a motorhome application is why the compressor is different. I had one in here yesterday. Looks about the same. Also ism is a 11liter

NorcalOBS

Reaction score
Yea, the seller said it was if an ISX. I don't what power rating, but still pleasantly surprised to find out that there are 66mm models and I stumbled across one.

Anyhow, quick update: project wound up on hold for the month of May. Got caught up in a few project on the house and spent memorial weekend dealing with a smoked wheel bearing in the front axle of this truck. I just secured another pickup to drive when I treat this thing apart, still I will be gathering the rest of the parts this month.

Latest posts

Members online