86 F250 work truck LOL

genuineford

Reaction score
So I was talking with the soon to be wife a few weeks ago and we decided to sell our 98 Malibu and pick up another older truck to put my snow plow on. My first truck was an 83 F250 so I wanted to get back into that body style of a truck. After doing some digging on craigslist I found one about 225 miles away. It looked to be in decent shape for the price and was in my price range. It had a 351W and a C6 trans and was 4wd. So my first day off I hooked up the trailer and headed to pick it up. I got there and it wasn't in the worst shape, took it for a drive and it went straight down the road so I loaded it up. It was an interesting trip to say the least as our 6.0 kept blowing the FICM fuse. We went through 12 fuses to get home but we made it. I looked it over a little closer the next day and found that the carb was leaking so I rebuilt that and removed all the smog stuff from it. I think there was about 50 feet of vacuum lines on it along with 2 smog pumps and the rest of the associated stuff. Took it to my parents house the next day and on the way stopped to fill up with gas. When I tried to start it after filling up the ignition switch went all the way to the start position and I had nothing. I was able to jump the relay and get it going but had to force the shifter out of park. I ended up swapping the column from my junked 83 and got it back going. After that It was running like crap so dad and I took a look at it and were messing with the carb and nothing seemed to be working finally I tapped on the egr valve and it started running good. I smacked it a few more times and it has been good since.

When I got it home I also changed the oil in it and a few other regular maintenance items. I have been driving it around a few days and noticed last night that the oil pressure was a little low. When I got home I pulled the dipstick out and there wasn't a drop on it. I knew that it was leaking a little oil but I didn't realize it was that bad. I added 4qts and it wasn't even full. So I drove back to my parents and loaded up my spare 351w and it will be getting a build and slapped in the truck. I am thinking that the rear main tore from it sitting and drying out. I really don't feel like messing with the old tired engine that is in the truck. I have not finalized everything yet but I have a 600cfm edelbrock carb for it, I also picked up an edelbrock performer intake. I have a set of shorty stainless steel headers sitting here also. I am looking at some procomp aluminum heads and still need to decided on a cam. I want to be able to still do some work with it but I want it to be a fun truck to drive around. I will keep this thread updated as I make progress.

Spare motor that is getting built.

genuineford

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I put in new window anti rattle pieces the other day. The other ones were rock hard and gone for the most part. I got the new ones from rockauto and they fit pretty well.

davey99ps

Reaction score
My grandpa had 2 or 3 of that body style when i was growing up an I hated them, thought they were ugly. Then when I got my temps I ended up buying an 86 with a 4spd an ive been in love with them since. That truck took a hell of a beating, wish i would've held on to it. New project looks good, any other plans for it other than the motor? I'll look around an see if i have any spare stuff still laying around from mine, your more than welcome to any of it if you want Steve. Also have a few friends into that body style, so if you need anything just pm me

genuineford

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I do plan on fixing the body up at some point. but that got put on the back burner probably until next year because of the engine issues. I do have a rust free box for it that is a bit tweaked but fixable. It will need new fenders, a passenger door and floor board on the drivers side.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I do plan on fixing the body up at some point. but that got put on the back burner probably until next year because of the engine issues. I do have a rust free box for it that is a bit tweaked but fixable. It will need new fenders, a passenger door and floor board on the drivers side.

Glad you've got a box, that's always a pain to try an find the correct 1 that's clean. I don't like when guys put the 87 an up boxes on unless they use flares to cover the mix-matched body lines. I'll see what i can dig up for ya, i know I use to have a few doors an fenders but i don't know what's left.

genuineford

Reaction score
I just got in from the garage and got the engine tore down in about an hours time. Don't mind the messy garage but here are some pics.

Viking

Reaction score
Why do all of you "sconnis have to be so far from me, i'd love to see the workings of the 351. Just gonna have to buy one now.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
What kind of deckover trailer is that? I've been looking high and low for a used one arund new england.

Im beginning to think they dont exist lol.

genuineford

Reaction score
It is a homemade trailer that we bought from a friend who's husband passed away. It is not as great of a trailer as we had hoped but it works.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
It is a homemade trailer that we bought from a friend who's husband passed away. It is not as great of a trailer as we had hoped but it works.

Gotcha. Yea i need a equipment trailer for a skid steer but i dont want to have the chitty fenders in the way. i figure a 20' + dovetail deckover will be perfect for trucks and a skidsteer.

But like i said they dont exist around these ways.

Good luck with the plow truck, ive got my own rebuild thread going for my 95 plow truck. Rust is a blast. lol.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.