What Do You Tow?

Jake

Reaction score
Yeah the show cattle is crazy. Enough that it has ruined the point of 4h/FFA. Buying a $20k steer that might make the sale, then feed and everything else. I got reserve at my county show with a$1000 steer 18 years ago, made the sale made money on the steer. Now it's a game for the parents of who has the biggest wallet.

Yeah I have spent a bunch of money on horses and hauled thousands of miles to shows. But it's fun!

smcox1

Reaction score
Yup the 4-H/showing side of any kind of show animal has turned into a game of who has more money. If you are showing quality show cattle, sheep or hogs you will never make any money on it. You gotta pay to play LOL. It really has got out of hand but being in the businesses of selling show cattle I welcome it LOL

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I know some people that pay $20,000 for one straw of semen to AI show horses. The good thing is you are guaranteed a live colt so if the horse isn't bred the first time you can AI her again and don't have to pay the $20,000. But if she does end up having a colt and it dies a few days after birth you're screwed. You can make a lot of money in the show cattle or horse business but you will also have a lot of money invested into this business and the thing is your "business" can just die on you one day for absolutely no reason. It's definitely a stressful business and very, very time consuming because you have to tend to it 24/7 but I love it.

Yup, horses are BIG money, have a lot of family that are HUGE into it. One payed well over $200k for one horse. From what I was told. Broke its leg while being unloaded, so the money had to be refunded. As a healthy, delivered horse was guaranteed (slipped and broke a leg coming out of the trailer)

Rule12b

Reaction score
It's huge lol! And definitely a lot of money involved. I'm sure it will shock most people when I say high quality steer's sell for more than what a brand new platinum costs LOL In that picture I have two heifers in the back that are worth more than what the 6.4 cost new LOL

True that. I knew a gal in high school whose dad bought her a BMW for graduation by paying with, yup, a steer.

Mark13

Reaction score
Back to towing, anybody in Northern IL here?
I'm around Northern, IL.

cuz a 4x4 tractor with a loader is ***in heavy!! rear tires sould be dam near touching the beaver tail.

live life full throttle

Generally tractors aren't as heavy as they look like they would be. I bet that 105x is under 12k with the loader unless it has weight hidden inside the wheels or loaded tires. I think that tractor is under 9k without the loader and any accessories.

17 round bales, our scale isn't finished from it's conversion from a bar scale to digital but we've weighed plenty of loads in the past.
I'd say 1,500lbs or so per bale, my truck is 10,500-11k depending on fuel in the tanks, and I'd venture to say 8k for the trailer. (44,500lb total)
20150620_144537_RichtoneHDR_zps83lf5tgt.jpg

My truck in the back with my trailer and 14 round bales. Farm truck up front being unloaded. My trailer is heavier then the farm trailer but less deck length. I was probably right around 41,000lb in this picture. Farm truck and load was probably 42-43,000lb. His truck is lighter then mine even with the steel bed vs my aluminum.
20150624_114703edited_zpsocf2xdf6.jpg

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Generally tractors aren't as heavy as they look like they would be. I bet that 105x is under 12k with the loader unless it has weight hidden inside the wheels or loaded tires. I think that tractor is under 9k without the loader and any accessories.

you are correct. but since the rear axle is centered between the trailer axles, that is still a lot of weight up front being 4x4 and a loader...

live life full throttle

B.Warning

Reaction score
you are correct. but since the rear axle is centered between the trailer axles, that is still a lot of weight up front being 4x4 and a loader...

live life full throttle

If I were to load that I'd load it the same way most likely. It's not always the best to load something as far back as you say. My truck and trailer pull sooo much better if I have weight a little forward of the axles or centered. Our Deere 6125R with loader is 125hp and it's still relatively light on the front axle.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If I were to load that I'd load it the same way most likely. It's not always the best to load something as far back as you say. My truck and trailer pull sooo much better if I have weight a little forward of the axles or centered. Our Deere 6125R with loader is 125hp and it's still relatively light on the front axle.
you also have a stouter suspension setup.

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I'd argue the fact that older springs are a helluva lot stouter than the weak azz ones on my clunker. I don't keep much air in my bags.
yes older ones are. as i have a timbren style bumpstop in mt 6.7 cuz it sags way more than my dually ever did and has a higher gvw but the one we are talkin about squats well past level.

live life full throttle

B.Warning

Reaction score
Judging by this pic compliments of my handy dandy uPhone...doesn't look like the truck is squatting much more than a few inches. Must just be sitting in a hole. Therefore...this discussion is completely pointless and you look like a tool.

085cfd53d2d18d11d8ded977cd5400ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Judging by this pic compliments of my handy dandy uPhone...doesn't look like the truck is squatting much more than a few inches. Must just be sitting in a hole. Therefore...this discussion is completely pointless and you look like a tool.

085cfd53d2d18d11d8ded977cd5400ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that is a neat app or whatever it is. but it proves that you are blind as *** and its squatting past level. you have a line on top of the rims that are really close to the same.. maybe n inch off. the rear being lower yes.. top of the tailgate is past level more than a couple inches..

live life full throttle

B.Warning

Reaction score
that is a neat app or whatever it is. but it proves that you are blind as *** and its squatting past level. you have a line on top of the rims that are really close to the same.. maybe n inch off. the rear being lower yes.. top of the tailgate is past level more than a couple inches..

live life full throttle

You win, I'm done. Grandpa always said...never argue with a moron, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

You thick headed schmuk. LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.