U Joint Removal Tool

ja_cain

Reaction score
Looking for opinion on brand/model for u joint removal/installation. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
OTC
meAfgaB.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
But then I also have the basic and master ball joint tool set to go along with this.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ive used the otc one, the matco, Mac, etc. All seem to be **** compared to the snap on one. The snap on one is expensive at about 800 bucks, but fits places the othera dont, and the retention of the cups on the press are awesome.

**** sorry thought it said ball joint press. The snap on one works for u joints too, but definitely not worth it for just u joints...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I definitely never use heat. Good way to distort the ears. The c clamp remover and impact is all you need.

ruffneck7.3

Reaction score
I dont to get the caps out.. cut the center in half, then the caps come out pretty easily.. at least our trucks aren't like the chevy and dodges, use the plastic you have to melt out to get them to release, and then they dont really release lol

Bugman

Reaction score
For 30 years I just used the socket trick with a hammer.

Now I just use my shop vice and a socket. I don't do it enough to purchase a dedicated tool for it.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Pretty sure my vice doesn't have the range of motion. Would this be a better one than the one I ordered?Screenshot_20200220-072124.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I had to use the bigger clamp on a 550 shaft, there was no way the smaller one was fitting.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I had to use the bigger clamp on a 550 shaft, there was no way the smaller one was fitting.
I went ahead and picked up the longer one too. Hopefully I don't need any inserts to just push the u joints out. I can always make something on the lathe though. Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I've had to cut the cross out of a axle u-joint before. The only way you will distort the ears is if you get it super hot. A ball joint press actually has more potential to bend a yoke than a torch does. When you press on a u-joint depending on what side is moving and what isnt can cause that. When i have had to cut the cross out i then heat the very center of the cap red hot for a short period and then let it cool to shrink, they almost fall out at that point. Just don't let the yoke itself get red hot and your fine.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Just have to watch heating the caps if the rest of it is still there. Hot grease and needles everywhere. Just a little disclaimer.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I got a couple of OTC type c clamps. Wondering if it would be worth it to pick up one of these too? O realize that isn't.the right size either.

Screenshot_20200220-174934.jpgIMG_20200221_165642.jpgIMG_20200221_165649.jpg

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
For 30 years I just used the socket trick with a hammer.

Now I just use my shop vice and a socket. I don't do it enough to purchase a dedicated tool for it.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
Same here
Pretty sure my vice doesn't have the range of motion. Would this be a better one than the one I ordered?View attachment 51638

Not unless you are going to use it on larger shafts.
I've had to cut the cross out of a axle u-joint before. The only way you will distort the ears is if you get it super hot. A ball joint press actually has more potential to bend a yoke than a torch does. When you press on a u-joint depending on what side is moving and what isnt can cause that. When i have had to cut the cross out i then heat the very center of the cap red hot for a short period and then let it cool to shrink, they almost fall out at that point. Just don't let the yoke itself get red hot and your fine.
I can back this up. Those stubborn ones need a lil hot wrench work every now and then so that you dont bend the ears beating the piss out of it
I got a couple of OTC type c clamps. Wondering if it would be worth it to pick up one of these too? O realize that isn't.the right size either.

View attachment 51645View attachment 51646View attachment 51647

Nah. Just use the above method. Lil heat with that otc tool and they will fall out.

Just clean up the inside of the ears with a Emery wheel small enough to get inside and maybe a snort of fluid film and press them back on.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jake! I may hold on to the bigger one as it may come in handy for ball joint removal on other vehicles that might need more room with the adapters in place. I have cut the old ones out with a cutoff wheel the last time I did them and it worked great. I used a press to remove them after that. I'll let you guys know how I like the new tool.

Same hereNot unless you are going to use it on larger shafts. I can back this up. Those stubborn ones need a lil hot wrench work every now and then so that you dont bend the ears beating the piss out of itNah. Just use the above method. Lil heat with that otc tool and they will fall out.

Just clean up the inside of the ears with a Emery wheel small enough to get inside and maybe a snort of fluid film and press them back on.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online