cp4 changes

littleboss

Reaction score
I had already seen the video but he makes no mention as to whether the pump is more reliable. he just states stronger to handle more pressure. The CP4 fails due to lack of lubricity if this wasn't changed the new ones will fail as well.

GM went to DENSO to avoid this issue

superpsd

Reaction score
That is correct GM went denso. Ford is staying with bosch. Time will tell if they are reliable.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
they were CP4 on the ecodiesels.... Maybe they didn't have many problems with them even though I had a few systems **** out

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Watched the videos as well. While it wasn't as "detailed" as one would want regarding that subject, he gave PLENTY of good details. Guy doing the videos was on-point with people posting questions to his channel and he was asking them.

Black AOD

Reaction score
The big majority of CP4's failing are due to poor diesel fuel put into the truck or lack of fuel filter changes and maintenance.

New 2020 CP4's went from 29K PSI max RP to 36k PSI max RP and they changed the internal cam and a few other small things to help with the higher pressures....

new 2019 and 2020 Dodge Cummins have the same CP4 as the 2020 Ford as well.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I disagree. I've had 1 cp4 failure due to fuel contamination. Bed was full of diesel 911 bottles. The rest had zero fuel contamination. CP4 can handle 4-5 minutes of air before it starts shredding apart. Think about every fuel filter change how much air you introduce.... Within 100k miles you've already sent many minutes of air through it just by changing fuel filters... IMO the #1 killer is air, whether it be from services or low fuel level tank slosh. it just can't handle that.... Funny, I've got cp3 trucks with over 600k on them, original pumps...every CP4 failure I've had so far has been 150k and under. So yea it's a manufacturer spec flaw....

Last edited:

Black AOD

Reaction score
I disagree. I've had 1 cp4 failure due to fuel contamination. Bed was full of diesel 911 bottles. The rest had zero fuel contamination. CP4 can handle 4-5 minutes of air before it starts shredding apart. Think about every fuel filter change how much air you introduce.... Within 100k miles you've already sent many minutes of air through it just by changing fuel filters... IMO the #1 killer is air, whether it be from services or low fuel level tank slosh. it just can't handle that.... Funny, I've got cp3 trucks with over 600k on them, original pumps...every CP4 failure I've had so far has been 150k and under. So yea it's a manufacturer spec flaw....

There are few people I straight up won't argue with on here and you're one of them lol. You work on these things day in and day out where as I just do them here and there helping people out. I agree with you that's a big issue if not bigger issue as well but for me I just know a good majority of of folks around me who had failures almost always had a dirty fuel issue.

And yeah, the dodges around here running CP3's rarely have issues. Dont see too many 600k mileage CP3's but i see a lot of 200k and 300k ones.

Last edited:

littleboss

Reaction score

So changing fuel filters more often than needed is actually hurting more than helping.

superpsd

Reaction score
Do you guys see less failures on the 2015 and newer pumps. I had read that Bosch did some things with coatings and such to improve reliability.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
LOL thanks guy.

And yes, you will never get all the air out after a filter change.

Factory fuel supply, fass, air dog. I don't care, it's Not happening.

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Do you guys see less failures on the 2015 and newer pumps. I had read that Bosch did some things with coatings and such to improve reliability.

I've had 3 2015 and newer with system failures, non contaminated

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
This is why I laugh at the guys on here that don't believe in fuel Additive... They just reply with "diesel" when asked about what Additive.... Our diesel is nowhere near where it needs to be for these pumps to survive.... Anywhere else in the world where their diesel is rich in lubricants from not strict refining, their **** is doing good. I'd bet if we all had more lube in the fuel the pumps may be more resistant to air, hoping the fuel would leave a lube layer on all parts.

superpsd

Reaction score
Do you guys see less failures on the 2015 and newer pumps that I have read have better coatings on the internals etc? And do the disaster prevention kits actually protect the injectors?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
This is why I laugh at the guys on here that don't believe in fuel Additive... They just reply with "diesel" when asked about what Additive.... Our diesel is nowhere near where it needs to be for these pumps to survive.... Anywhere else in the world where their diesel is rich in lubricants from not strict refining, their **** is doing good. I'd bet if we all had more lube in the fuel the pumps may be more resistant to air, hoping the fuel would leave a lube layer on all parts.
This, I swear by the ford cetane booster, and sell it to every fuel system ive done. Just make sure the cardboard cap stays in the cap and doesnt end up in the tank...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Do you guys see less failures on the 2015 and newer pumps that I have read have better coatings on the internals etc? And do the disaster prevention kits actually protect the injectors?
Ive seen approximately the same amount of failures. Granted 80% of my failures have been customer induced. Either gas or def.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Holy ****. Lmao.....

As for Additive push Stanadyne and Alliant Power