Chasing 1000hp

John Buck

Reaction score
Anyone here know of anyone reaching 1000hp in an OBS 7.3? Swamps has that 900hp performance package for about $16,999 and heard to get that last 100hp a progressive two stage controller in the higher rpms with nitrous or something along those lines. Have seen other 2000+ year 7.3s reaching it and found this url:

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1007dp-1000-hp-73-power-stroke/

Impressive to be sure let alone listening to the ramp up,

What would be the estimated total cost to go from a stock 1997 7.3 v8 crew cab long bed dually 4x4, to reach 1000hp with the 900hp swamps performance package and transmission and torque converter capable of handling and the rebuilding of the motor and cooling systems involved and along with everything else? Also would it be better or good or would it necessary to get the swamps 7.3 competition crate engine for this? Or cheaper or can simply be done without?

I'm building my dream truck here, also just for laughs and whatnot what would be the estimated mpg for this 1000hp potential beast? And with a 1000hp capable 7.3 what is the best mpg you could possibly get if wanting to shell out the coin for the best mpg you can get and still be able to put out 1000hp,

I don't care about the mpg of all things just simply curious that's all, I know this is all going to take me several years to complete I just want to make my dream truck before I die, already have a job I would be cool with making a career in and have another truck as my daily driver, and a house close to my work.

So pretty much aside from rent, groceries, monthly boxing gym dues, occasional dirt bike maintenance, putting some money in savings, all my money is going to be poured into making this truck a reality. Any solid help, advice, and genuine input from the wealth of knowledge that some people actually are on here, i would greatly appreciate the info.

Lastly would it be good to get the hypermax inline pump engine conversion on the swamps diesel competition crate engine and pair the swamps 900hp performance package with that? Or simply just get the 900hp swamps performance package and manage that way?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
The HEUI system is limited to maybe 700. Your gonna need probably 50,000 to get 1000.

Your either gonna have a competition only truck or a daily driver truck with smaller injectors. The Hypermax in-line pump is also a competition only package.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Talk to this guy. I’m pretty sure he’s a member on here. But he kinda breaks the whole rule of single thing dedicated high horsepower 7.3. And it’s heui. Granted the big number was ghetto fogged but it did it and lives.
c792272be8cf54f83340d1420d4846af.jpg
46c6cf085a999fc3965048ce61c4d125.jpg
10355aced93a79bab971625051d007e2.jpg
6c5363e16ab6da3113227d4533153f3d.jpg

ncollins64

Reaction score
For starters it’s going to take a lot of money. But, 1000 HP fuel only is very doable with a 7.3 and heui system. Zack Pierce is on here and has a shop in NC, but his truck is a freak ccsb truck and his times was putting him well over 1k fuel only and he still towed some and daily drove it. It’s not rocket science but head work is something that will make or break you and Zack figured out what works and why. I won’t step on any toes but just call him sometime and he will be more than happy to explain his build and what worked. I’m currently building my obs and Swamp’s built my short block but I got built heads from a top NTPA shop that does a lot of the pulling tractors and trucks for shops like Haisley etc. It’ll be a 800 HP truck but I’m not doing the big 400% nozzle injectors because I want to keep it some what tame. Good luck

John Buck

Reaction score
Alright thanks, how i search for the dude on here? I see a bunch of local truck mechanic shops specializing in powerstroke performance but i would much rather send my truck off to be professionally worked on and built by someone far more credible and reputable no matter the distance.

old man dave

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that Swamp's uses an engine dyno. Most posted hp readings here are in rear wheel hp. There's about 15-20% powertrain loss so that 900hp is about 720-765 rwhp.

A long time ago, JDub built a 7.3 with about 550-600hp on fuel that he gassed up to over 930hp to give you an indication of what nitrous will do to a perfectly streetable engine. 248cc B-codes, ported heads and a KASB turbo.

genie144

Reaction score
I would recommend calling Swamps and talking to them about your goals. I shipped 2 trucks across the country to them back in the day. Dave took great care of the whole thing and I ended up with a kickass ride out of it. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again (I type this as I am considering what to do with my 6.4). It takes money to play with diesels - no 2 ways about it.

Sam

John Buck

Reaction score
The HEUI system is limited to maybe 700. Your gonna need probably 50,000 to get 1000.

Your either gonna have a competition only truck or a daily driver truck with smaller injectors. The Hypermax in-line pump is also a competition only package.

what does competition only package mean? like i myself cant buy it or something like they only sell it to dealers or something? its going to be a tactical savage mudding beast that i might do some competitive stuff with it, mainly just taking it to the lake, mud bogs, and taking my girlfriend out on dates and stuff i have another daily driver for work and whatnot.

smoker00

Reaction score
If I was going for 1k on a 7.3 platform I would just go with the turn key hypermax..it can make 1k easy. and it mite be cheper. lol but that's just me..

uncool

Reaction score
What is your current setup?

A 7.3 in the 550 to 600 range is a very fun easy truck to drive and maintain. And it doesn't cost $17K.

If you are just throwing money at your motor because you have nothing better to do that is one thing.

Make the truck do what you want it to do. HP=$$$

smoker00

Reaction score
You are probably right about the cost!!

live life full throttle

Ya It would be close and hypermax like I said before would make 1K easy I do wish I would have went that direction years ago... I have had every size of injector in this old 7.3 lol: bigger turbos smaller turbos but I like the combo I have now. If I sprayed the balls off of it I still don't think I'd make 1K

Reaction score
S369 turbo kit, regulated return fuel system, 300/something injectors and go have fun until it explodes. You’d be amazed how long those motors last with conservative tunes.

Or sell the 7.3 for way too much money, buy a 6.7 and go nuts with that.

mcnance865

Reaction score
Meaning that it isn't streetable.

Sam

It says right in the description of the competition engine that they have dozens of people using it in daily drivers and some even towing with no issues. No reason it wouldn't be streetable. Injector size, turbo size, and camshaft grind are about the only things that would affect being able to run on the street.

thuglike

Reaction score
What is your current setup?

A 7.3 in the 550 to 600 range is a very fun easy truck to drive and maintain. And it doesn't cost $17K.

If you are just throwing money at your motor because you have nothing better to do that is one thing.

Make the truck do what you want it to do. HP=$$$

This.

Maybe I've been away for a long time.
I must of missed all the 7.3's making 1000 on fuel only.

It just costs way too much to get to 7-800 on fuel and maintain street ability....

But..I do wish you the best.....

Latest posts