Rubbing noise on front passenger wheel

quicksilver11

Reaction score
I bought my truck about two weeks ago and so far have been loving it. My first superduty. Bought it's developed an issue over the last couple days I need some help with. Truck has 915 miles on it by the way.

I parked the truck sunday and haven't touched it since. It's sat in my driveway as I was out of town. Got home thursday night and took it to dinner and heard this rubbing sound coming from the passenger side. Sounds like a warped rotor on a brake lathe. It doesn't do it at idle or in reverse, only when moving forward. Pressing the brakes doesn't make it go away and it progressively gets faster as you speed up. I can't see anything rubbing on the rotor and making a mark. Took it to the dealer and they said it was rust on the rotors. I've put over a 100 miles on the truck since last night (I like to drive) so it's not the rotors. No pulsing in the brake pedal either.

Yall got any ideas before I start ripping the front end apart to do ford's job? Thanks.

quicksilver11

Reaction score
They told me to drive it for the weekend but the noise is driving me nuts so I'm gonna take matters in to my own hands and see if I can fix it easily before I screw around with them.

It's not that simple for me to just take it somewhere else. I work out of town monday-thursday and sometimes fridays so my time is limited to take stuff places. Besides, if I can figure it out then I won't have to wait a day or two or who knows how long waiting for the dealership to fix it if in fact they actually fix it and don't tell me "we don't know."

Last edited:

quicksilver11

Reaction score
IMG_20111015_145119.png

That's the cause of the noise. A cotter pin caught between the rotor and the dust shield. Took me 30mins from start to finish to fix the problem. Helluva lot easier than wasting time with ford who would have had to have it for at least a day.

quicksilver11

Reaction score
Well its been rubbing for nearly 200 miles and the front wheel is still on so I'm gonna assume its an extra LOL

HoustonRider

Reaction score
yeah, I bet it just got kicked up off the road somewhere.

I hear ya on taking to Ford. I'd rather spend some time looking myself rather than letting it sit for a day or two then some 19 year old come back after two days and tell ya he doesn't know why its doing it.

Latest posts

Members online