Converting to later model Steering Box

Reaction score
Are the components available to swap a newer steering box into an OBS? The newer you go the better the core supply and the technology improves. Hose fittings are no issue to me. Steering column shaft? But the big one...Pitman arm. If the splines are bigger (good thing) then a newer pitman arm will be needed. Then there is likely a tie rod taper fit issue. Is there a TRE that will fit OBS drag link and newer taper? I'm thinking 05 up or as new as we can get adapted. Since I have been dealing with steering boxes on garbage trucks for 30+ years I'm pretty familiar with steering boxes and the problems that develop. So far my experience with boxes for the 80-97 fords has been less than ideal. There are some parts no matter how thorough you are are not made. So never as good as new, and tech moved on to boot.

sootie

Reaction score
There is already an informative thread on this topic..

Addicted4

Reaction score
The box bolts in with just having to drill the holes out to 5/8". Steering shaft bolts up fine and the hoses you can buy for a 6.0 and will bolt in. Now the pitman arm is where you would have to get creative. The drag link end is bigger on the 05-newer trucks.

If I was keeping your stock steering components and upgrading the box I would look at getting something to insert to reduce the size of the pitman arm.

http://www.chassisunlimited.com/tre-insert.html

Addicted4

Reaction score
Still would have to change the pitman arm hole and put a reducer in it. I'd probably go hydro assist to take stress off the box before swapping in a newer box which turns sharper and cause more rubbing issues.

Reaction score
Now we are getting somewhere. I wonder where a person can find some specs. I like the Carrick tie rods but how about a TRE to swap on to the stock drag link, same thread but bigger taper to fit newer drag link.

Does the new box actually have more degrees of total rotation of the pitman arm lock to lock? Maybe have to stay with an 04 or older box. but then at this point is it worth it? I was looking for a newer tighter box with a slightly improved ratio.

Latest posts

Members online