Bad Injector cause crankcase smoke?

da94broncodude

Reaction score
Hey guys, finally getting motivation around to getting my truck fixed, just not sure which direction to go with it, it has me at a loss so maybe i should start at the beginning.

Originally i was running 175/75 injectors, and they began to get some stiction in them after a couple years and with towing what i tow i talked to warren about changing them up where towing might be a little easier, we decided on 190/30. i had a trip coming up so sending injectors out and having a truck down wasnt an option so we put a set of stock injectors in and a stock turbo and sent the injectors out, and went to go on the trip, truck ran pretty good until around 150 miles or so into the trip, it began hinting of a misfire, by this point i was in the middle of nowhere with no choice but to keep going to the next town, made it there where by this point it was running really rough and seemed like it was trying to hydro lock, dumping white smoke etc.
Figured maybe i nicked an o ring installing them i promptly pulled the injector that was giving us a code (ironically a new reman in the set) installed new orings and reinstalled, same problem.
By this point it was 4 am so we through in the towel and slept a few hours, picked up a new injector and fresh oil as the crank case had fuel in it changed the oil installed new injector, good to go, little misfire here and there but nothing major finished the trip.
Month or so later went on another trip no issues. After that we installed the 190s and its not been right since, i kept getting misfire code on one cyl in particular so i pulled that one and swapped it with another. Still not running stellar, had misfires that would come and go but nothing major so we ran it when we needed to, but now we had another issue... white smoke. Weirdly it ran worse on my tow tune as far as smoke etc and would smoke less on street but after it warmed up.. no smoke decided to check crankcase, pulled oil cap, it has visible smoke but not like blow by pressure. By this point i have a whole new season upon me and im over it, skipped a couple trips earlier this year and then first of july bought a 16 6.7 ford and parked the 6.0..

Now that ive had a month or so to chill out im slowly getting my motivation back to get it fixed, i want to have a direction before i go tearing into it again, some questions i guess i have in my diag processes of all that run on story (sorry about that)
I thought maybe i washed the cyl the injector stuck on so i attempted to pull the glow plug it will loosen but i cannot get it out, guessing the heat mushroomed the tip? cause it will retighten fine. Did a relative compression on the ids and its showing 2 other cylinders that are low by 18% or so.
Also i talked to warren after i got the injectors and they think i may have some of the bad batch of nozzles they got that were cracked? would that explain the white smoke cold but when its warm its fine?

Sorry for all the run on multiple questions, any direction would be appreciated, any questions for clarification ask away

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
by the sounds of it.. considering ive seen similar cases although on a 7.3 .. you may have melted your piston / done damage to that cylinder that the injector was stuck open ..
if I were you , I would be pulling the heads off to get a better understanding of what actually is the problem. if you just keep throwing injectors or other parts at it .. and the problem is such as a scorched piston or something, it will get nothing but worse over time.

Latest posts

Members online