Help with transmission problem

Ace00

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this site and diesels. I have an 2003 f250 6.0. My truck started jerking when i put it in drive or reverse. I was told it was a transmission solenoid. So I replace all 7 of them. Put it back together and now when I put it in drive and not touch the gas it pulls itself for like 2ft then it's like someone hit the brakes or chalked the wheels. I put it in neutral then back to drive and it starts to pull again than stops like someone hit the brakes. When its in neutral it rolls freely. It does not happen in reverse. When it happens and I hit the gas it feels the same like something is holding it back. Also does it in 4x4 and 4x4 low. No check engine light no codes. First I thought it was a brake problem but then it doesn't do it in neutral or reverse so I'm confused. Thanks for any help you guys could provide.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
where did u buy solenoids?

how certain are you that you got them all in properly?

Last edited:

Ace00

Reaction score
where did u buy solenoids?

how certain are you that you got them all in properly?
They are factory ford solenoids and I am very certain they are in properly.

Ace00

Reaction score
I forgot to mention when I first did it I test drove and it didn't do it but 3rd 4th was slipping. Transmission fluid was low. Filled it to full. Now it's doing what I mentioned.

Zmann

Reaction score
well just for conversation sake

how did you fill it ?
these are a pain to get right IMO but running in park and on level ground is how you check it

Ace00

Reaction score
well just for conversation sake

how did you fill it ?
these are a pain to get right IMO but running in park and on level ground is how you check it
I let it warm up than checked it. I didn't check it while it was running. I'll do that when I get off work today.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
If you checked the level with the engine off I can guarantee that the fluid level is wrong in your transmission. That might be the problem.

I hate to ask this, but I must. You do know that not all of the solenoids are same, right? Some have high pressure with high electrical current, and some have low pressure with high electrical current. Each one MUST be in the right location of the trans won't work.

Ace00

Reaction score
If you checked the level with the engine off I can guarantee that the fluid level is wrong in your transmission. That might be the problem.

I hate to ask this, but I must. You do know that not all of the solenoids are same, right? Some have high pressure with high electrical current, and some have low pressure with high electrical current. Each one MUST be in the right location of the trans won't work.
Yes I know they are different. I got a diagram to show which go where.

shmoozer

Reaction score
The only reason Mark asks is because he IS the 5R guru around here. There is nothing about these transmissions that he doesn't know about. If anyone can help you figure it out it's him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ace00

Reaction score
The only reason Mark asks is because he IS the 5R guru around here. There is nothing about these transmissions that he doesn't know about. If anyone can help you figure it out it's him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh that's no problem. I'm new to diesels so ask anything that might help me get this problem fixed.

Ace00

Reaction score
Check the fluid level warmed up with the engine idling in park. The wrong fluid level (in EITHER direction) can cause problems.
Ok checked the fluid while it was warm and idling in park. And it was low. I filled it little by little till it hit the full mark. Started it up and it does the same thing. But now it's not as bad when it's in 4x4 low it'll pull threw it with me not hitting the gas. But everything else is the same.

Is there a way to check that each solenoid is right? Or I read something about checking transmission line pressure?

Ace00

Reaction score
Or do you think that since it was low it already messed up one of the solenoid?

Ace00

Reaction score
Ok update. So when I put it in 3rd it does not do it at all. It pulls without hitting the gas with no problem. But when I put it in 1 or 2 or D. It does what I mentioned.

Zmann

Reaction score
check the fluid one more time since

and what fluid did you use ?

Ace00

Reaction score
check the fluid one more time since

and what fluid did you use ?
Just checked the fluid again and it's full. I used valvoline max life ATF
728783f4c4b040f33941db0ed2f0436e.jpg

Ace00

Reaction score
Does anyone have a write up on how to check the solenoids to make sure there in the right spot and are working properly. When I got the solenoids the box they were in was labeled for what they went too and I used this diagram. I don't think the solenoids themselves was labeled.
1262fdbf31a2aa35423847c9dd83f44d.jpg

Latest posts

Members online