Looking at buying 6.7 have couple of ?s

da94broncodude

Reaction score
Thinking about adding a 6.7 to the fleet, trying to find one with lower miles at a decent price, ideally I'd like 15-16, but a lot of the better deals for me are 11-14, are 11-14 no go? What should I be watching out for in all years? Are these reliable in higher mileage? TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11lifted250

Reaction score
I have an 2011 with 170,000 miles on it. No major issues yet.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

maxxedout

Reaction score
11-14 trucks are fine... Just plan on upgrading the turbo to a 2015 style turbo. While you're in the valley, drop in a 2015 HPFP as well. The 2015 pump will hold rail pressure on a hotter tune where the stock pump will not. Even if you don't plan on pushing the truck, having a fresh HPFP on a higher mileage truck is good insurance.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would stay away from 11s, as the early ones had the valve issues. But what has been said is spot on. When the turbo chits, put a 15 style, whether pr not its a factory 15 is up to you lol, and a 15 hpfp.

sootie

Reaction score
Stick with 12 or newer. 11s had valve issues and trans issues. Turbos failing is somewhat less of a concern now that tuning has been figured out better. 11-12 get the best mileage, 13-14 a little worse, 15-16 a lot worse.

15,16 make more power but have less clutches in the direct pack. They have a better turbo and a bigger fuel pump as well

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
As stated, 11-14 trucks are fine. I'd try and find a 13+ so you get the larger center dash stack with bigger screen. There seem to be a lot of 13-14 trucks for sale now since the 17's have been out. Best of luck in your search!

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Stick with 12 or newer. 11s had valve issues and trans issues. Turbos failing is somewhat less of a concern now that tuning has been figured out better. 11-12 get the best mileage, 13-14 a little worse, 15-16 a lot worse.

15,16 make more power but have less clutches in the direct pack. They have a better turbo and a bigger fuel pump as well

This

da94broncodude

Reaction score
I have my eyes on a 13' with 42k on it fully loaded lariat, they're asking 43k (dealer) how long was the warranty on the 13s? If I did the 15' and newer turbo and pump does it need tuning? Or can the dealer flash it to 15 specs? Plan for this truck was leave it alone and just turn the key and go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klarence Karter

Reaction score

Yep

Early 2011 owner here that had valve issues. I must say though, after the fixes and a diet truck has been strong. I'll probably be upgrading to a 15-16, but I'm not in any hurry. I still like my 2011, maybe more so because no mas payments (my trucks job security haha)

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score
Yes. Like all these guys have mentioned, try and find one built in 2012 +. They are great trucks .

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score

Why a difference with the 13-14 trucks ? Your right, my 12 is amazing on fuel.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Hijacking...

Im looking at a '12 with 227,000 miles. They want $17k for it (I want to pick it up for less then $15k)

My 7.3L that I just totaled (engine fire) had 264,000 miles on it and 210,00 when I bought it. So Im not scarred of 'high' miles. Only thing itll be used for is towing and may see up to 10,000 miles a year.

Thoughts?

powerstrokelyfe

Reaction score
Is the truck d******* ? I would get a compression test, and see if they have any records that may come with the truck. You want to see if the truck was relatively maintained with that many miles. If it wasn't, look for something else. Also, high mileage from my experience is really not a concern with these trucks.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
Is the truck d******* ? I would get a compression test, and see if they have any records that may come with the truck. You want to see if the truck was relatively maintained with that many miles. If it wasn't, look for something else. Also, high mileage from my experience is really not a concern with these trucks.

Thanks for the reply. They said they would do an Oasis Test for me; compression test I would have to pay for it.

Next concern I have is that it has a "Parker Chelsea Power Take-Off System", which Im not sure why it would have one of those on it. I havent done a carfax deal to know who the previous owner was, or how they used the PTO as it has the factory bed on it.

That may mean it has alot of idle hours as well.

Latest posts

Members online