6.4 single turbo spool issue

webb06

Reaction score
Took my 6.4 to the track for the first time tonight since I've had it together. On the initial test drive before the track it seemed to spool good and take off like a rocket. Get to the track the first pass I spooled to 2200rpm not sure what boost and only went 14.5 @ 94. Got back to the pits and got it to spool to 2800rpm and 16psi which seemed like it would be promising. Get to the line and it wouldn't spool passed 2200, i had messed with with wastegste thinking it was blowing open before this pass, but on this pass I have a video where I can see it blowing the gate open then halfway down the track it takes off and click 13.06 @ 111. ******** tuning with MAF zip tied to the turbo screen. Not sure if the sensor needs mounted in a tube to get a good reading? MAF reading 28-30 at idle, which I don't think is right.

Need a little guidance. New to single turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the maf as I never tried it that way. If your gate is opening early just keep fine tuning it. Some times it takes a while to get it right. It's probably opening because of a back pressure spike then takes a while to close. My back pressure has always initially spiked pretty high then levels out during the run. I have decent valve springs and I'm not telling you to but my BP is usually 80+ then levels out to lower 70s mid run, if I make it any looser I loose power. I removed my gate for a few runs last year and stamped all my pistons with perfect valve imprint's so don't listen to me...

webb06

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the maf as I never tried it that way. If your gate is opening early just keep fine tuning it. Some times it takes a while to get it right. It's probably opening because of a back pressure spike then takes a while to close. My back pressure has always initially spiked pretty high then levels out during the run. I have decent valve springs and I'm not telling you to but my BP is usually 80+ then levels out to lower 70s mid run, if I make it any looser I loose power. I removed my gate for a few runs last year and stamped all my pistons with perfect valve imprint's so don't listen to me...

I've got springs and Pistons with reliefs. Do you run a MAF? I know in novative can tune without MAF

78f100

Reaction score
I do run a maf. Never tried without one.
My turbo is 75/83/1.0. I have to drive it hard to make the power I want, not sure how that 92 will do I've never tried one. I would imagine you won't have to push it as hard as I do with the 83 wheel though.

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
I do run a maf. Never tried without one.
My turbo is 75/83/1.0. I have to drive it hard to make the power I want, not sure how that 92 will do I've never tried one. I would imagine you won't have to push it as hard as I do with the 83 wheel though.

Can you see what your MAF is reading on ids at idle? That will probably help me narrow down if it's the sensor location or a tuning issue.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Took my 6.4 to the track for the first time tonight since I've had it together. On the initial test drive before the track it seemed to spool good and take off like a rocket. Get to the track the first pass I spooled to 2200rpm not sure what boost and only went 14.5 @ 94. Got back to the pits and got it to spool to 2800rpm and 16psi which seemed like it would be promising. Get to the line and it wouldn't spool passed 2200, i had messed with with wastegste thinking it was blowing open before this pass, but on this pass I have a video where I can see it blowing the gate open then halfway down the track it takes off and click 13.06 @ 111. ******** tuning with MAF zip tied to the turbo screen. Not sure if the sensor needs mounted in a tube to get a good reading? MAF reading 28-30 at idle, which I don't think is right.

Need a little guidance. New to single turbo.

if the tuning is MAF based, it has to be in a tube, to get an airspeed reading that it can correlate to. you have to put an intake on that thing or we have to switch to no MAF base tuning .

webb06

Reaction score
if the tuning is MAF based, it has to be in a tube, to get an airspeed reading that it can correlate to. you have to put an intake on that thing or we have to switch to no MAF base tuning .

I thought about trying to get ahold of you last night but I didn't wanna bug you. If no MAF is an option I'm not opposed to that. But if need be i can get a 5.5" rubber elbow and get the MAF in that.

78f100

Reaction score
I would give you the maf readings but my cab is off, I'm returning my black truck to stockish and putting the motor out of it in my single cab.

webb06

Reaction score
gear head tuned mine with no maf. Lights fine. 75/92 1.10

I was hoping you would chime in. So you're using Mcc?

Today I actually put a piece of tubing on the turbo and cut a hole in it for the MAF, the tube is roughly 8" long. It didn't seem to help anything
4a9cbbd9ee3ac18edfcb592fa45b084a.jpg

Last edited:

ckrueg

Reaction score

Today I actually put a piece of tubing on the turbo and cut a hole in it for the MAF, the tube is roughly 8" long. It didn't seem to help anything

For the maf to really get a decent reading the diameter of the housing needs to be the same as OEM unless it's bee recalibrated. Theoretically the flow velocity will be 4 times lower if the housing is 2 times larger, but the frictional losses actually make it even worse- something like 8 times lower iirc, so the maf readings you are getting will still be way off in that tube.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
For the maf to really get a decent reading the diameter of the housing needs to be the same as OEM unless it's bee recalibrated. Theoretically the flow will be 4 times lower if the housing is 2 times larger, but the frictional losses actually make it even worse- something like 8 times lower iirc, so the maf readings you are getting will still be way off in that tube.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thats very interesting!

BOSS450

Reaction score

Yeah! Mcc tune. Must have missed you were in something else I just skimmed and saw gearhed. Had to tell him to turn low boost fueling up about five times

webb06

Reaction score
Yeah! Mcc tune. Must have missed you were in something else I just skimmed and saw gearhed. Had to tell him to turn low boost fueling up about five times

Strongly considering going Mcc just so I don't have to come up with a tube

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
mounting that sensor there would scare the crap out of me.....

we dont run a sensor in the 6.4 dont seem to have any issues other then the driver, but i would definitely get with your tuner and see if he can straighten it out. if not maybe try some files from someone else?