2003 HPOP without breaking the bank

F350-6

Reaction score
What are the reliable HPOP replacement options out there for an 03 model? I know to try and avoid stock rebuild. Bob Riley is proud of his, and I believe Swamps is even prouder. Is Joey good with the T500 on the 6.0?

I've got the pleasure of trying to fix the nieces truck. Air test had bubbling sounds from under the HPOP.

scparrish

Reaction score
I have been running my adrenaline hpop for about 5 years now with no issues, running 225/75 injectors.

F350-6

Reaction score
I'm not saying the adrenaline is bad, but this is a kid paying for it that just bought her first house. They tried to get a new truck and were turned down on the financing end because money was too tight.

Truck is stock and a few hundred dollars they don't have to spend will really go a long way.

bismic

Reaction score
Understood. My experience is that it fails at an unacceptable rate.

Warranty means little to me when the time spent doing the work is as significant as an HPOP replacement. To each his own.

Reaction score
Understood. My experience is that it fails at an unacceptable rate.

Warranty means little to me when the time spent doing the work is as significant as an HPOP replacement. To each his own.

Of the 20 or so I've done this year, I had one fail after idling for 5 minutes and no issues with the others.

bismic

Reaction score
When doing an HPOP, my expectation is 100k + miles of reliability. People shouldn't have to put up with anything less.

Maybe the remanned pumps are getting better than they used to be. Still not worth it to me though.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Pump is very easy to change if the truck has an EGR ******. Ive yet to have a ford pump i installed fail and come back on me

F350-6

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you think the pump is very easy to change if the EGR fell off. I'm not sure about the EGR on this one as she hasn't made up her mind yet, but compared to the 7.3 HPOP, this thing is a nightmare.

I've heard rumors that the 03 pump cases were prone to cracking after 150k - 200k. Any truth to that?

Two year warranty sounds nice, but it's the labor aspect that sucks if it goes bad soon.

Anyone have comments on the Bosch pump? Supposedly new case and internals, but considered a rebuilt. Price is less than from Ford.

bismic

Reaction score
Pump is very easy to change if the truck has an EGR ******. Ive yet to have a ford pump i installed fail and come back on me

Your post brings up the question as to why were you installing an HPOP in the first place?

Again - the reliability of the 05 and up OEM pumps are quite good. VERY, VERY few examples of failure - even after 250k+ miles. Not so for the early pumps. Shops generally have a 1-2 yr warranty. That is not an acceptable life for an HPOP. If I had an HPOP fail in 2 yrs after a shop put one in, then I wouldn't take it back to that shop. IMO you get a better picture of reliability (in this case) from the forums. Especially if you are tuned.

Also, the 03 and early 04 engines have the PIA intake manifold that adds a lot of labor as well.

Here is the only thread I saved on Bosch HPOP's. It was a favorable post, but it is only one.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/858562-best-hpop.html

Edit - here is a thread on the 03 - 04 HPOP. Note m-chan68's (a very talented Ford Tech) comments on how easy the 03 and early 04 HPOP install is .....
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/67527-high-pressure-oil-pump-04-6-0-a.html

Also - there are numerous threads like this one across the forums.
http://www.powerstrokenation.com/fo...o/483257-multiple-oil-pump-failure-6-0-a.html

I like this article as well (again - on the swash plate design, not the piston style pump):
http://www.powerstrokehub.com/6.0-power-stroke-problems.html

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
When doing an HPOP, my expectation is 100k + miles of reliability. People shouldn't have to put up with anything less.

Maybe the remanned pumps are getting better than they used to be. Still not worth it to me though.

If that is your expectation, how can you recommend an aftermarket pump lol

bismic

Reaction score
Lets just reason through this. The 03 OEM pump was modified for the introduction of the wavy oil rails (late 04). This pump was still a swash plate design - just higher capacity and pressure (due to the increased oil rail capacity).

In 2005 this updated swash plate pump was done away with completely .... a V4 piston design iron pump replaced it.

Why would Navistar (and Ford agree) do this? Reason - swash plate design was not reliable enough. These two companies don't make changes without financial reasons to do so. The change was successful - reliability improved and warranty claims were reduced.

As far as aftermarket pump having improved reliability (nothing is perfect) - well the evidence is available for those that have the desire to investigate it. As in all things ............... some are better than others.

Last edited:

scparrish

Reaction score
I went to the adrenaline after repeat oem pump failures, also switched to the newer style intake manifold during the repeat failures to ease install. They are expensive pumps but they are cheaper than repeat failures.

bismic

Reaction score
Nice post scparrish .... thank you!

The main thing about the Adrenaline pumps is that some folks are having issues with the o-rings (leaks). The OEM o-ring kit is recommended to be purchased in place of using the ones that come with the pump.

Good advice on the intake manifold change!!

F350-6

Reaction score
Tell me more about the newer style intake manifold if it's a benefit. Do the old ones fail? If so how? What are the benefits to the new one? Is it just a direct bolt in? New gaskets required?

bismic

Reaction score
The 03 manifold (that is also on the early 04 engines) has a solid crossover tube at the back. This is what causes you to have to remove the intake manifold / EGR cooler to get to the HPOP. More work.

Note - HPOP Cover removal (cut the silicon when removing the cover). Add a dab when replacing the cover. Do this at the corner of the HPOP where it connects to the branch tubes. If you don't you will have an oil leak.

You can see the two corners where the silicon is in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_vlAmFS8q0

Good videos to review (there are several others):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWvDM5H30XA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09gCEDxhz4

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online